Do you ever stop worrying?

Pandaboo
Pandaboo Member Posts: 1

I was diagnosed with a rare form of ovarian cancer in 2010 (Granulosa Cell Tumor), underwent a hysterctomy, they removed the left ovary where the tumor had been and because they found cells in the abdominal wall was Stage 2B and underwent 3 rounds of BEP chemo.  I never considered myself a "survivor" because I was told my cancer was slow growing, it was unlikely to reoccur, I was never left to wonder if I would be around in 5 years.  After the first year, my anxiety decreased substantially.  Until last February when one of my tumor markers jumped from less than 10 to 92.  But, because I still have an ovary my numbers have always fluctuated and 92 is still in the normal range.  I opted not to do a CT again and decided to have blood work repeated in 2 months.  I just got the results and the Inhibin B dropped from 92 to 82, so good news, but my Inhibin A has gone up for the 3rd time in a row (8/14 it was 33, 2/15 it was 52 and 4/15 it is now 75).  It is normal until 98.  We are in a holding pattern waiting to see what the numbers say in August, but I am back to being anxious and the cancer dominating my thoughts. Does the worrying ever stop?  Technically my numbers are all still normal and there is nothing to worry about, but I feel like I am obsessing. 

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    Pandaboo, what a great

Pandaboo, what a great question. 

For me, three years out (uterine cancer - UPSC), I like to think it is in the rearview mirror, but every now and then I wonder if all really is ok.  Since I am on the 5 year, quarterly visit plan, I look forward to not having to go anymore for check ups but can't help but wonder how I will feel when I lose that safety blanket.

I wish you, and all the ladies, peace. 

• yamster34
    yamster34 Member Posts: 75
    cancer is scary

Getting that cancer diagnosis is a very scary thing! The way I deal with it is by not getting tested. I also find it encouraging when people tell me I am looking healthier than I did when they last saw me.It has been almost 8 months since I was diagnosed and I believe that if God chooses to heal me here on Earth or take me home I win!

• pandagypsy
    pandagypsy Member Posts: 113
    Hi pandaboo!

You've got a GREAT name, another panda fan I suppose! 

I was diagnosed stage IV oc in Feb. 2009; sounded like a death sentence to me, I couldn't plan anything more than a month in advance.  So much lost time and worry, guess that is only normal. Yes, the "scanitis" sets in before every ct scan.  May 2014 I had a reoccurance, but since it was caught very early, I did chemo from June-October.  Yes, it was hard.......yes, I was miserable at times.......but I am dertermined to live out the "gypsy" in me this year.  I told my onc. NO MORE TESTS TIL I GET BACK FROM MY ROAMING! And then it is a big "maybe".  I don't think the cancer thoughts ever really go away...........sometimes you just have to let the other thoughts take over.  Good luck to you with any decisions you make.  It's all about YOU!

• MMC
    MMC Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018 #5
    Another GCT....

In answer to your question, "does the worrying ever stop", no 'fraid not.  I've had a second recurrance, surgery this past December.  My GCT was found as a surprise during a hysterectomy in 2012, stage one.  I have bloodwork every 3 months, CTs mostly every 3 months.  My first recurrance resulted in a splenectomy in January 2016, my second in December 2017 where I lost part of my liver and gallbladder.  In this last, my Inhibin B skyrocketed before surgery, over 1000.  The largest tumor was most likely pumping out tons of the stuff.  Keep track of your bloodwork.  If you see increases, don't reject the CTs.  Recovering now, I hope I'm done for a while.  I hope you, too, are OK.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    MMC said:

Another GCT....

In answer to your question, "does the worrying ever stop", no 'fraid not.  I've had a second recurrance, surgery this past December.  My GCT was found as a surprise during a hysterectomy in 2012, stage one.  I have bloodwork every 3 months, CTs mostly every 3 months.  My first recurrance resulted in a splenectomy in January 2016, my second in December 2017 where I lost part of my liver and gallbladder.  In this last, my Inhibin B skyrocketed before surgery, over 1000.  The largest tumor was most likely pumping out tons of the stuff.  Keep track of your bloodwork.  If you see increases, don't reject the CTs.  Recovering now, I hope I'm done for a while.  I hope you, too, are OK.

MMC, I am sorry to hear about

MMC, I am sorry to hear about your recurrence. I hope you kicked it to the curb again.  Hugs dear one.

• auntkk
    auntkk Member Posts: 8 Member
    Worry

There are times when I worry more than others.  Mostly,  since my numbers are good, I take it day by day.  I have HUGE amounts of faith.  Nothing can shake that!  I am so far from perfect but I am going to fight and then fight some more.  I have always had to fight it seems so this comes to me naturally. Dang this font is for the young!!  lol 

• azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    try not to worry

it has been 8 and a half years for me and i still worry