Allergic To Wig

Angelgrl
Angelgrl Member Posts: 4

I just finished 3 months of chemo last month, lost all of my hair in the process and was wearing scarves most of the time during chemo and even afterwards.  Recently I purchased a synthetic wig from a reputable wig salon in my area.  I wore the wig out of the store and it seemed to feel good for ahiele until after two hours I started to break out in rashes all over my face and neck, wherever the hair touched my skin a rash would break out, my eyes began to get red and sore as well and I felt like I was going to pass out.  Could not wait to get home to take the wig off.  I heard that washing the wig in viengar and then shampooing it would help, from what I heard is that I could be allergic to the Alkaline they use in processing the wig.  I did as instructed and I still broke out in a rash.  Is it possible that I am allergic to synthetic fibers?  If so, how much would a human hair wig cost and I am beginning to wonder if I mgiht have the same problem.  There is one website that I found that sells human hair wigs ranging from a hundred dollars and on up.  It is called ewigs.com.   Does this price sound reasonable or am I going to get a cheaply made wig?  I really miss my own hair and do not really want to have to wear scarves and hats for the next several years before my own hair gets to the lenght I use to have it, ti was below shoulder length.  Thanks for listening.

Angelgrl

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    angelgirl --

I wish I had some viable information for you, and your human hair wig search... but, I chose not to wear a wig.  I found several human hair wigs out here in Southern California - pricing from 400.00 and up -  while being fitted, i was told that with  the --- shape of my scalp=== my wig would not sit properly - two sizing women (wig)  tried everything to fit me - to no avail. I was devastated to say the least.

I did not work a full or part time job during my days of chemo therapy, so I wore scarves and baseball hats.

Call your Oncology Center - see if they have any suggestions -  or know of any local wig shops that sell human hair.

Please let us know what you find out.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    VickiSam said:

angelgirl --

I wish I had some viable information for you, and your human hair wig search... but, I chose not to wear a wig.  I found several human hair wigs out here in Southern California - pricing from 400.00 and up -  while being fitted, i was told that with  the --- shape of my scalp=== my wig would not sit properly - two sizing women (wig)  tried everything to fit me - to no avail. I was devastated to say the least.

I did not work a full or part time job during my days of chemo therapy, so I wore scarves and baseball hats.

Call your Oncology Center - see if they have any suggestions -  or know of any local wig shops that sell human hair.

Please let us know what you find out.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

Sorry for your allergy

7 years ago I was looking at human hair option, even making a wig from my son hair, who had shoulder length . It was expensive and my hair dresser convinced me to to use synthetic one. Anyway after my hair started to grow I did not ware anything alway got compliments on my short hair. Think about it maybe you can overcome short hair complex and enjoy summer which ahead.

Hugs

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    I agree with New Flower

It's summer time and wigs are SO uncomfortable and fake-looking most of the time no matter how much you spend. I bought one and hardly ever wore it. I used beautiful scarves until I had an inch of hair and then embraced the short hair look. The only thing I did was wear earrings and make-up so it looked like a style statement. My hair grew back amazingly fast and within a year hit my shoulders. Give it time...you'll have hair again sooner than you think. When I tell people I did chemo, I can tell they think I must have done some kind of light treatment course and never was bald!