Has anyone gone deaf from cisplatin

u574713
u574713 Member Posts: 6

For those who took Cisplatin, what were the worst side effects you had. My cancer has now spread to my lungs, even after I had an APR which had only a 50% chance of working. Now the oncologist wants to put me on Cisplatin but was told early on in my treatment how bad the side effects will be, losing my hearing, shutting down my kidneys and horrible nausea. The radiation dr said their is nothing he can do so is sending me back to the chemo dr. I feel like a ping pong ball and no treatment has been done and I am 6 months out from surgery. My surgeon told me I should be on some kind of chemo and I told the drs that to no avail. Now I am scared that the cancer has gone too far and that I am going to die soon although I feel pretty good right now. I feel hopeless now and afraid to go on the Cisplatin ......any suggestions?

Comments

• Cazz
    Cazz Member Posts: 106
    Hi

I don't know anything about Cisplatin, but I do have to say that if you feel strongly about not taking it talk to your medical oncologist about finding something else that will be just as effective.  I am refusing to take another 5-FU combination because the first shot at it didn't work at all and made me very ill.  My dr is sympathetic and currently researching alternatives.  Talk to your doc about the side effects - I can't believe they are that bad or nobody would take it - of Cisplatin and ask what are the alternatives, and if you don't like his answers, get a second opinion.  Its your life, you need to take charge of your own treatment and keep pushing until you are comfortable that you are doing the right thing for you, whatever that may be.  Good luck with whatever course you take.

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    u574713

Hi, please do not feel hopeless as there are options out there! I was initially diagnosed with Stage3b anal cancer 4 yrs ago and went through treatment that included an ostomy as well as 5Fu and Cisplatin along with radiation. Unfortunately this past January I too had a recurrance in my lung. A large mass for which I had the left lower lobe surgically removed. I am now following with adjuvant chemo of 5Fu/Cisplatin once again to catch any rogue cells.

While all chemo drugs are toxic (thats the nature of the beast) and have side effects, not all people experience all side effects to the same extent. It is wise to be informed and weigh the risks though. I did have a hearing test after my first round 4 yrs ago and my hearing was all in the normal range. Then, I had another hearing test before beginning this time to establish a base line that I guess they will use to compare later on....I am nearing the end of this treatment and during chemo week I have some ringing in my ears as well as feeling dizzy and very queasy, but a week after chemo ends have little effects aside from being tired.

It is very important to drink lots of fluids even when you just don't feel like it, I have also found eating watermelon throughout the day helps with staying hydrated and also getting at least some nutrition. This will help with kidney concerns.

As far as the nausea goes, my doctor did give me some new anti-nausea meds that I was not given the first time around and although I mentioned queasy, it is not nearly as bad as it was then. I found if I just nibble during the day and again drink fluids I am much better.

Also, when we discussed a concern over hearing loss as a side effect, my doctor mentioned the drug carboplatin as an alternative but I chose to stick with cisplatin as it was his first choice.

Chemo is not always necessary after surgery if your doctor feels the tumor in your lung was removed with clear margins. Mine at this point was highly recommended by my doctor who I have come to trust. Never feel it is wrong to get a second opinion if you do not feel satisfied with your treatment, remember "they" are working for you.....so please continue to seek advice until you feel at peace with your decision.

I will keep you in my thoughts, and please keep us posted as you move forward.

katheryn

• Lorikat
    Lorikat Member Posts: 681 Member
    Cisplatin

i was treated with cisplatin and 5fu...  I'm almost 4 years post tx and am not deaf....  AND I'm alive!  Some side effects but not bad enough to stop living.  hugs and wellness