Etoposide and Y90 procedure

Options
Photo queen
Photo queen Member Posts: 15

good evening teal sisters. Treatments for the past several months have been a little tough to take, but sometimes I think that as we continue year after year every treatment will be tougher.  Diagnosed in November 2011 with 3c. I've had pretty much all the standard chemos for our disease plus 26 rounds of chemo. The last two were topotecan and gemsar, which as alexandria once said are pretty ineffective by themselves. Biggest problem to date is ascites. Have to get between 3 and 4 liters drained about every 5 days.  They sent the fluid to a testing lab in Pittsburgh and it listed several chemo treatments which may be effective, one of which is etoposid   You take 3 pills for 4 days every month. Has anyone ever used this chemo and did it help at all?  They are hoping it will either dry up the ascites or at least cut production.  Right now I'm recovering from what they call a Y90 procedure. They go up thru your groin and put radioactive spheres in any spots on your liver. Anyone had this done?  They say it is a fairly new but seems to be quite effective. Side effects are extreme fatigue and nausea. Chemo doctors are pushing to take the pills, but radiation doctor says wait 3 weeks at least to get over Y90.  They never seem to agree. Testing of ascites fluid showed topotecan and gemsar would do no good. There are 5 or 6 listed that should help. We will see. Anyone else had any succces with testing?  Hang in there all you wonderful ovarian cancer fighters. I am grateful for this link at csn so we can compare notes and get ideas on how to fight our symptoms. Love to you all, jean