gefitinib can be used for ovarian cancer ?

Options
satty
satty Member Posts: 1

Hello,

My mom is fighting the battle with ovarian cancer.

She had 5 chemo sessions and then surgery.

After surgery 5 more chemo sessions were given.

the C125 count had reduced drastically  (from 6000 to 900) after the surgery.

We were really happy as the CT scan also showed good results.

But after surgery she had 5 chemos , and now her C125 cousnt has reached 2000.

I understand that c125 is an indicator and not the real deciding factor in judging the improvement.

But stilll ... why it is increasing again after the surgery ...

She was given gefitinib tablets (250 mg) during her 10th chemo theraphy as the previous medicines didnt show much improvement on her body. (My mom's body is resisting chemo treatments).

We consulted another doctor and he said that Gefitinib tablets are used to cure only Lung cancer.

This means that  we have been given wrong prescription.... can someone please check and confirm about this medicine ASAP.

please consult with your doc. and reply ... 

PS: Thanks for all the positive posts and I wish everyone Good Luck in their journey...

Thanks,

Satty

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Hello Satty and welcome to CSN

Please make sure you are talking to an experienced gyno-oncologist. Also read your mother's pathology report and find out cancer grade, type, stage and whether her surgery (debulking) was optimal (no visible cancer left). Try to understand your mom's diagnosis before you jump to any conclusions.

You didn't mention the type of chemo she received, so I'm assuming the standard frontline protocol of a platinum agent (Carboplatin or Cisplatin?) plus taxane (Taxol?). It sounds like her cancer is persistent or refractory, because her CA125 more than doubled while on chemo. It is time to 1) get a CT scan 2) decide if it's operable 3) switch her to another chemo. 

Though there were trials of oral tyrosine kinase inhibitor Gefitinib (Iressa) in platinum-resistant ovarian cancer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21435938, it is probably not the best choice. Most popular non-platinum chemos for high-grade are Doxil (Caelyx, PLD), Gemzar, Topotecan, Trabectidin (not in USA), Avastin (not in Canada) and their combinations as well as a dozen other drugs prescribed off-label depending on what part of the world you're in and your doctor's personal preferences. If you're in the USA, two new oral drugs were approved recently: Lynparza and Rucaparib. There are other options for low-grade, clear cell. Talk to your doctor about available clinical trials in your area or research them yourself on clinicaltrials.gov.

I hope your mom feels better.

A.

• Defying Disaster
    Defying Disaster Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Gefitinib for ovarian cancer

Satty,

Gefitinib is used for the treatment of platinum resistant ovarian cancer but there are other drug choices if she is not responding. Here is one reference, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21435938. Please be sure you are consulting with a gynecologic oncologist, preferably one who works in a university affiliated hospital where up to date information in the standard.

CA-125 results are most useful when they are corrolated with symptoms and CT scan results. Some types of ovarian cancer are more difficult to treat. Educate yourself as much as possible. This will assist you in finding the most competent care and advice for your mother. It is also very reassuring to know yourself that your mom is getting the best possible treatment.

Best of luck to you and your mom. Please let us know how your mom is doing.