CA 125

Options
bob13440
bob13440 Member Posts: 66

Lorraine's ca 125 was 8,000 before first treatment, it was 4,000 before round 5, last week. Wondering what people's thoughts were on this. Of course we're happy it's been cut in half, but the number is still high. Any similiar numers for you ladies?

Comments

• Susan P
    Susan P Member Posts: 103
    Options
    CA 125

Hi Bob - one of the first things we gals needed to learn is the CA #'s are oinly  a vague guideline - basically for the docs to use in conjunction with other indicators & generally the trend  is more important ththan the actual #.  2 scenarios low # but symptoms or higher # & no symptoms - the docs would certainly explore both.

my situaztion I was dx with a 4" tumor on my left ovary in May of 2013. had horrible ascites my belly was like 4-5 mos pregnant  1st drain was 8 liters & CA before TX was 4,000 -  I was blessed  to have responded extremely well to my chemo.  my trend was seeming to cut it in half each tx.  A year later April 2014 my CA tested at 16 & after a PET scan. I waa told there was no evidence of disease.  I then started having a CA & seeingOnc rveevery three months.  at my first 3-mo visit I tersted in  the low 300's up quite a bit from 16  at the 2nd 3 mos I was up maybe 15 points.-  I had a googgooid talk with my Gyn Onc * she explained a gradual climb did not conceren her. especially with no apparent symptoms.  if the CA started doubling -she may then show oncernsa& do a CT. I really like her & wwhat she tells me coincides with my research &  my teal sister's experiences.

docs do not use CA tests alone as diagnoistics.  as the # can be skewed by other conditions & is not always considered accurate.

That's why the trending is most important -- I also asked iftouou test a patient wih no history of cancer would you get a zero reading?  no in fact she said if she tested my hubby he would have  areadin gCA stands for Cancer Antigen - not thatI've researched that - PSA test for prostate cancer iProstatre Specific Antigen.

with yuour wife's #'sfore & after TX-- sseeing that 50% drop - probably tells the docs they have he on a chemo that appears to be working. - starting at 4,000 - it took a long time to get into the normal range.

It was so exciting to finedout each new # before each tx & to SEE it was working -- sure made the tx"s worthwhile.

Bob & know several of the gals here also had a a very high starting # & slowly worked down to normal.

My lowest # didn't happen until after my debulking surgery & follow up chemo.  hope this has given you some peace of mind & more understanding.  for me, Knowledge & understanding have really helped me.  come back often & read & learn - soon you will see the similarities in your experience & ours.

Best wishes to you & your wife.

Susan P from sdouthern Alberta Canada & TX & WY

• bob13440
    bob13440 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Susan P said:

CA 125

Hi Bob - one of the first things we gals needed to learn is the CA #'s are oinly  a vague guideline - basically for the docs to use in conjunction with other indicators & generally the trend  is more important ththan the actual #.  2 scenarios low # but symptoms or higher # & no symptoms - the docs would certainly explore both.

my situaztion I was dx with a 4" tumor on my left ovary in May of 2013. had horrible ascites my belly was like 4-5 mos pregnant  1st drain was 8 liters & CA before TX was 4,000 -  I was blessed  to have responded extremely well to my chemo.  my trend was seeming to cut it in half each tx.  A year later April 2014 my CA tested at 16 & after a PET scan. I waa told there was no evidence of disease.  I then started having a CA & seeingOnc rveevery three months.  at my first 3-mo visit I tersted in  the low 300's up quite a bit from 16  at the 2nd 3 mos I was up maybe 15 points.-  I had a googgooid talk with my Gyn Onc * she explained a gradual climb did not conceren her. especially with no apparent symptoms.  if the CA started doubling -she may then show oncernsa& do a CT. I really like her & wwhat she tells me coincides with my research &  my teal sister's experiences.

docs do not use CA tests alone as diagnoistics.  as the # can be skewed by other conditions & is not always considered accurate.

That's why the trending is most important -- I also asked iftouou test a patient wih no history of cancer would you get a zero reading?  no in fact she said if she tested my hubby he would have  areadin gCA stands for Cancer Antigen - not thatI've researched that - PSA test for prostate cancer iProstatre Specific Antigen.

with yuour wife's #'sfore & after TX-- sseeing that 50% drop - probably tells the docs they have he on a chemo that appears to be working. - starting at 4,000 - it took a long time to get into the normal range.

It was so exciting to finedout each new # before each tx & to SEE it was working -- sure made the tx"s worthwhile.

Bob & know several of the gals here also had a a very high starting # & slowly worked down to normal.

My lowest # didn't happen until after my debulking surgery & follow up chemo.  hope this has given you some peace of mind & more understanding.  for me, Knowledge & understanding have really helped me.  come back often & read & learn - soon you will see the similarities in your experience & ours.

Best wishes to you & your wife.

Susan P from sdouthern Alberta Canada & TX & WY

ok

thanks for the feedback, Susan, yes, it was very helpful. This week has been much better than last week. Round 6 coming up Monday, she'll be a third of the way there, 18 scheduled weeks.