Can I work through it?

Options
2»

Comments

• letsrock
    letsrock Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Work

I just finished up 6 weeks of treatment, it was brutal for sure, but I didn't miss a day of work. The first 2 weeks weren't too bad, but the 3rd week was pretty tough and it got harder from there, the last week I had a couple of days that I went home early, just couldn't stay awake any longer. For me getting up and going to work helped with the treatment, it gave me something to get me going each day.....

• minimaker
    minimaker Member Posts: 2
    Options
    You can work up to a point

Hey Kelle,

It was very important to me to try to keep my life as normal as possible during treatment.  I made it through the first round of chemo and about 15 of the radiation treatments before I quit working.  Everyone is different but don't push yourself.  You will know when its time to stay home, take care of yourself and take a leave from work.

You will feel awful and tired all the time.  You will hurt in places you never knew could hurt.  You will cry when you know you have to go to the bathroom.  You will be scared.  You don't want to eat.  I am not saying this to scare you - we all went through this and lived through it.  The road is tough but you can make it!  A positive mental attitude and alot of faith will get you through.

Two positive things happened to me during/after treatment - I am cancer free and lost weight and I now weigh what is says on my drivers license. LOL

Good luck to you.  You can do this!!

• Lake girl
    Lake girl Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Working through it

I agree with the previous poster, "This disease/ treatment will bring you to your knees". There is absolutely no way you will be able to work through treatment, especially the last two or three weeks. I am not sure how well prepared you have been, but better to know then not. The pain is excruitiating and you will be unable to drive or care for yourself near the end of treatment. On the upside, the pain passes fairly quickly once treatment is over, but the exhaustion will set in. Take care of yourself and rest.

Lake girl

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Kelleb said:

Treatment begins 4/27.

Treatment begins 4/27. Nervous? Yep.

I'm just going to play it by ear. My job is secure, so I have no worries there - thankfully! I'm just going to go until I can't.

Of course I'm over thinking the small stuff; things I won't be able to address until I get there :-) But trying to remember that the cancer will be gone.

Thank you all!

xokelle

How are you doing?

Hello, Kelleb:

I hope you and the other new patients who posted in this thread are doing well, fingers crossed. Were you able to stay on the job as you'd hoped? I wouldn't have been able to as my response to treatment was similar to horsepad's. In addition, I was on Fentanyl patches up to 75mcg, Percoset 10mg for break-through pain, and put on morphine at one point. The radiation oncologist said that in all good ethics, he didn't even want to see me drive (not that I could!). Thank goodness that my husband (cheerleader, chauffeur, chef, janitor, butler, nursing assistant, kitty wrangler, plant waterer, launderer, errand-runner, kisser and patter) rose to the crisis .^_^.

EDIT: Typo repair.