Livestrong YMCA program

Options
Puffin2014
Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member

I just finished the free 3 month cancer survivor exercise program through the YMCA called Livestrong. We met twice a week with trainers at the Y with a family member, were coached through cardio and weight machines. They developed individualized work out programs for us, and we could use the Y free for those 3 months. I qualified for a half price membership scholarship so will be continuing my exercise routine. If the program is offered in your area I'd highly recommend it, I came out so much stronger and have my stamina back. I'm back raking leaves and getting my yard de-winterized, and am back enjoying my birding again.

Comments

  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Puffin .. Sounds wonderful, and to gain more stamina

    What a BONUS!  Happy you found an outlet that allows you to re=gain your strength, and live life to the fullest.

     

    Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

    Vicki Sam

  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I just called our local YMCA

    I just called our local YMCA to ask about the program.  Was told there is no such program as 'Livestrong' anywhere.  Not a problem at all for me, I work out at the Base Gym (huge fantastic facility) but thought that the idea of getting input from a trainer might be helpful.

  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

    I just called our local YMCA

    I just called our local YMCA to ask about the program.  Was told there is no such program as 'Livestrong' anywhere.  Not a problem at all for me, I work out at the Base Gym (huge fantastic facility) but thought that the idea of getting input from a trainer might be helpful.

    YMCA and Livestrong

    Rague, perhaps your YMCA doesn't offer it. My little town doesn't have a YMCA, but the YMCA located closest to me offers "Livestrong at the YMCA." It is too bad your YMCA doesn't offer it. Sounds like you would make good use of it.

    Still is great that you, Puffin and others are keeping active and enjoying it.

  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

    YMCA and Livestrong

    Rague, perhaps your YMCA doesn't offer it. My little town doesn't have a YMCA, but the YMCA located closest to me offers "Livestrong at the YMCA." It is too bad your YMCA doesn't offer it. Sounds like you would make good use of it.

    Still is great that you, Puffin and others are keeping active and enjoying it.

    The local YMCA is in the

    The local YMCA is in the biggest 'town/city' in at least 200 miles.  They have a huge facility that covers a city block.  IF 'they' chose to not offer it that's one thing but to say that the program does not exist within YMCA anywhere? 

    We live near an Air Force base which has a fantastic, huge gym that I use free - Hubby is retired Navy.   I use it t more in winter than summer as winters are brutal here and the gym has so much 'stuff' including a lap pool and an indoor track in addition to everything else.  But it would be nice to get input from a trainer.  

    Winyan - The Power Within

    Susan

  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

    The local YMCA is in the

    The local YMCA is in the biggest 'town/city' in at least 200 miles.  They have a huge facility that covers a city block.  IF 'they' chose to not offer it that's one thing but to say that the program does not exist within YMCA anywhere? 

    We live near an Air Force base which has a fantastic, huge gym that I use free - Hubby is retired Navy.   I use it t more in winter than summer as winters are brutal here and the gym has so much 'stuff' including a lap pool and an indoor track in addition to everything else.  But it would be nice to get input from a trainer.  

    Winyan - The Power Within

    Susan

    Puffin, I'm so jealous!

    I looked into the Livestrong at the YMCA program after my surgery earlier this year, and was so hoping to get my doctor's blessing to take advantage of it....however, in all of Southern California, there are only 2 YMCAs that offer the program, and none are anywhere near me.  I'm so glad you were able to benefit from it!

    Here's the link to the program website, if anyone's interested in checking it out -- the homepage also includes a map of US YMCAs that offer it:  http://www.livestrong.org/what-we-do/our-actions/livestrong-programs/ymca/

    Looking at the map, participating YMCAs are clustered much more heavily east of the Mississippi.

    Traci

  • Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

    Puffin, I'm so jealous!

    I looked into the Livestrong at the YMCA program after my surgery earlier this year, and was so hoping to get my doctor's blessing to take advantage of it....however, in all of Southern California, there are only 2 YMCAs that offer the program, and none are anywhere near me.  I'm so glad you were able to benefit from it!

    Here's the link to the program website, if anyone's interested in checking it out -- the homepage also includes a map of US YMCAs that offer it:  http://www.livestrong.org/what-we-do/our-actions/livestrong-programs/ymca/

    Looking at the map, participating YMCAs are clustered much more heavily east of the Mississippi.

    Traci

    thanks for extra info

    Thanks for the map and the additional info on the program Traci

  • GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

    thanks for extra info

    Thanks for the map and the additional info on the program Traci

    YMCA

    I went to the YMCA after my treatment years ago and it was very helpful.  I don't remember any Program at that time but this one sounds great to me and that web link would be something for Susan to show to her Y people and maybe they would change their remarks?   I joined the Y again last summer but I'm not in any program and just trying to stay active and it feels good...I go about 3 times a week and spend at least an hour.   They have a Sr Citizen rate also and that is what I pay now..........just didn't think to ask about anything else and the rate is vry low so I don't mind.   The YMCA is a wonderful organization and they will never turn anyone away who really needs help for staying healthy.

     

  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Puffin 2014
    Thank you for posting this. It got me back on track to get signed up! I was going to do it in January than it got set aside but now you have reminded me to do it! I am so glad that you did it and got so much out of it!
    Thanks,
    Carol
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Rague said:

    I just called our local YMCA

    I just called our local YMCA to ask about the program.  Was told there is no such program as 'Livestrong' anywhere.  Not a problem at all for me, I work out at the Base Gym (huge fantastic facility) but thought that the idea of getting input from a trainer might be helpful.

    Susan,

    Dr. Anna Schwartz who is affiliated with yhe University of Utah worked with the Livestrong Foundation and helped connect the program with the YMCA. Here, any and all cancer survivirs are welcome to partake in the 12 week program. People in my suppoert group here have done it and said it was an excellent program. They had one in January and I am hoping to participate in one of them coming up. I am sorry to hear that it is not being offered in your area as I too have heard wonderful reports of how it really helped people get their health and stamina back, and being free is quite the bonus as I am so strapped financially from almost five years of fighting this battle. Maybe you can get the info off the inet, or the map that wass posted here and maybe give your YMCA a little nudge to get in in your hood! Hugs Carol

  • Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    camul said:

    Puffin 2014
    Thank you for posting this. It got me back on track to get signed up! I was going to do it in January than it got set aside but now you have reminded me to do it! I am so glad that you did it and got so much out of it!
    Thanks,
    Carol

    Y scholarships

    Carol, glad you have the program in your area. We got to use the Y free for the 3 months of the classes, and I made full use of it, went every day. Our Y used to have a discounted membership rate for those who took the Livestrong class but doesn't now. The Y does offer scholarship memberships though. I submitted my 2014 1040 with my application to be considered for a scholarship and got a 50% discount for a year. So mine is only costing me $25/month, and since I signed up while my Livestrong membership was still in effect I didn't have to pay the $25 activation fee.

  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    camul said:

    Susan,

    Dr. Anna Schwartz who is affiliated with yhe University of Utah worked with the Livestrong Foundation and helped connect the program with the YMCA. Here, any and all cancer survivirs are welcome to partake in the 12 week program. People in my suppoert group here have done it and said it was an excellent program. They had one in January and I am hoping to participate in one of them coming up. I am sorry to hear that it is not being offered in your area as I too have heard wonderful reports of how it really helped people get their health and stamina back, and being free is quite the bonus as I am so strapped financially from almost five years of fighting this battle. Maybe you can get the info off the inet, or the map that wass posted here and maybe give your YMCA a little nudge to get in in your hood! Hugs Carol

    Squeaky Wheel

    I can be a 'squeaky wheel'. That is a good idea to try to push the local YMCA to get the program going here.  Unfortunately there are certainly ones here that it would be great for.  As I said, I do have access to a great gym (bigger by far,than the 'Y's) on the base (its closer to us than the 'Y') but not all do.

     

    Winyan -The Power Within

    Susan 

  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options

    Y scholarships

    Carol, glad you have the program in your area. We got to use the Y free for the 3 months of the classes, and I made full use of it, went every day. Our Y used to have a discounted membership rate for those who took the Livestrong class but doesn't now. The Y does offer scholarship memberships though. I submitted my 2014 1040 with my application to be considered for a scholarship and got a 50% discount for a year. So mine is only costing me $25/month, and since I signed up while my Livestrong membership was still in effect I didn't have to pay the $25 activation fee.

    Puffin, Does the Livestrong

    Puffin, Does the Livestrong program require a doctor's ok for the program? I was looking into the program a few years ago but can't remember.

  • Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

    Puffin, Does the Livestrong

    Puffin, Does the Livestrong program require a doctor's ok for the program? I was looking into the program a few years ago but can't remember.

    Dr approval

    Yes, there was a form my onc had to sign before I could take the class.

  • Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

    Dr approval

    Yes, there was a form my onc had to sign before I could take the class.

    Livestrong fund raiser

    Our Y has a special fundraiser for the Livestrong program, the proceeds from a team of runners in a local race are designated for the program.

  • Lisa810
    Lisa810 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I did the Livestrong program

    I did the Livestrong program at the Rye Y in NY, and it was wonderful. Not only did it help me get over my lifelong fear of gyms, I met so many wonderful people!

    Do try to push for it if you don't have a program near you. I'm happy to put you in touch with the coordinator of our Y, I'm sure she'd have some information she could forward.