Verdict in. Round 2 ....here we go!

Bonngo
Bonngo Member Posts: 79

Hi Everyone,

Well after having to wait a couple of weeks because of getting previous scans from prior medical facility the verdict is in.  What was a 5-10% chance of a tumor recurring in my right kidney after a partial nephrectomy in 2012 has become a reality. This new doctor is also convinced that the pain I began having a few months ago is not related to the cancer, however it is exactly what sent me three years ago to be checked.  I thank God I had this pain again!

Scans from 2013 look clean and scans taken a couple of weeks ago show a tumor about the size of a golf ball in the lower portion of the kideny in a position too difficult to do a partial nephrectomy. Also new, is some hydronephrosis from a kinked ureter that was not there before.  Since I had surgery in that area 3 years ago there is a lot of scar tissue, so the plan is to remove the 2/3rd that's left of that kideny through another OPEN incision.  I told doctor that it was ok since I was not going to be wearing any bikinis Tongue Out

With kidney function already low we are hoping that it does not drop by 50% when the right kidney come out (chances are that kidney was not fully functioning anyways).  Surgery is scheduled for this coming Tuesday!  Not wasting any time! :)

Thank you all for listening (reading) my post.

~Bonnie

 

Comments

  • Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,046 Member
    Sorry to hear about

    Sorry to hear about recurrence! But there are no mets detected anywhere, tumor is only in the kidney. They'll cut it out and you'll be NED again. To me it sounds much better than detecting distant mets which can't be resected.

    Good luck with surgery, keep fighting! 

  • Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Sorry for your news

    But good luck with the surgery

  • I am alive
    I am alive Member Posts: 315

    Sorry for your news

    But good luck with the surgery

    Alotchka's right

    There is a positive spin to be had. No mets is gold, so go to your surgery with a peaceful heart. Hope you heal fast and this becomes just something else in the rear-view mirror!

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member

    Alotchka's right

    There is a positive spin to be had. No mets is gold, so go to your surgery with a peaceful heart. Hope you heal fast and this becomes just something else in the rear-view mirror!

    Sorry to hear that you have

    Sorry to hear that you have to endure this again. Wishing you all the best with the surgery and recovery!

    Hugs

    Jojo

  • brea588
    brea588 Member Posts: 240
    So sorry

    you have to go through this again.  I will be praying for you.  THoughts and prayers your way!

  • Bonngo
    Bonngo Member Posts: 79
    Thank you

    Thank you all for your support!

  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Bonngo said:

    Thank you

    Thank you all for your support!

    What a shame you have to go

    What a shame you have to go through this again. Wishing you the best and a quick recovery.

  • a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear that you

    I'm so sorry to hear that you need to have surgery again.  I totally agree with you, "thank God for the pain" that alerted you.  And be proud of yourself for following up on it right away.  Well, at least you know what to expect this time in regards to surgery and recovery.  I hope that part helps the nerves.  Good luck to you.  We will be thinking of you.   Annie

  • donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,040 Member
    a_oaklee said:

    I'm so sorry to hear that you

    I'm so sorry to hear that you need to have surgery again.  I totally agree with you, "thank God for the pain" that alerted you.  And be proud of yourself for following up on it right away.  Well, at least you know what to expect this time in regards to surgery and recovery.  I hope that part helps the nerves.  Good luck to you.  We will be thinking of you.   Annie

    Bonnie

    Who said you can't wear a Bikini!!.  Sounds like you are on track to get things taken care of. It's never easy to deal with a recurrence or new growth----I know from experience.

    But so glad the test spotted it and your symptoms made you look into what was happening.  To a successful surgery and recovery.

    Donna

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    donna_lee said:

    Bonnie

    Who said you can't wear a Bikini!!.  Sounds like you are on track to get things taken care of. It's never easy to deal with a recurrence or new growth----I know from experience.

    But so glad the test spotted it and your symptoms made you look into what was happening.  To a successful surgery and recovery.

    Donna

    Not fair

    Bonnie,

     

     

    One crack at a neph is enough already. Hopefully with a small tumor you will have a full and complete recovery this time.

    Unfortunately yours is not the first I have seen where their was recurrance in the balance of the kidney after a partial. I never had that choice as 13 years ago as they were not doing partials.

    I leave it to those above me on the pay scale to evaluate whether and under what condition a partial should be performed.

     

    Icemantoo

  • Bonngo
    Bonngo Member Posts: 79
    Perspective

    Thank you all for your support!  I agree, IceMan, that maybe the entire kidney should have been taken out three years ago.

    Putting things in perspective, I was able to visit with a new friend I met here in Iowa who was just diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer in February.  She underwent one mastectomy in March and will have the other after she completes chemo-therapy (called Red Devil which is the worst) and radiation.  She is only 44 years old with six beautiful children (boys) and she and her husband are trying to keep several businesses open (restaurants).  Let's say, I feel very blessed.

    I will be back soon, so you all take care!

    God Bless,

    ~ Bonnie 

  • TLAlways
    TLAlways Member Posts: 15
    Bonngo said:

    Perspective

    Thank you all for your support!  I agree, IceMan, that maybe the entire kidney should have been taken out three years ago.

    Putting things in perspective, I was able to visit with a new friend I met here in Iowa who was just diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer in February.  She underwent one mastectomy in March and will have the other after she completes chemo-therapy (called Red Devil which is the worst) and radiation.  She is only 44 years old with six beautiful children (boys) and she and her husband are trying to keep several businesses open (restaurants).  Let's say, I feel very blessed.

    I will be back soon, so you all take care!

    God Bless,

    ~ Bonnie 

    Good luck to you

    Good luck to you