5 Years on Femara

Options
BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851

I do not post very often but thought this might be worth sharing.

I was dxd in July of 2009 with IDC, ER+/PR+ and Her2+. I had a Lumpectomy, 6 rounds of chemo, 33 radiation treatments, a year of Heceptin and I just finished my 5 years on Femara. I saw my onc yesterday for my 6th month check up and she gave me permission to stop the Femara. She said that there were currently no studies showing any benefits for taking Femara longer than 5 years. So this morning was my first day without taking any drugs to fight the beast. I lilltle scary but I am ready to move forward.

Hugs to all,

Donna

Comments

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Good**

Good to hear your Good News Donna **  Thanks for sharing it with us.   We may not have control over Cancer but you are proof that we DO have control over our Attitudes.   Hugs back at 'cha    Cool  Glo

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    My Chemo Dr told me the

My Chemo Dr told me the opposite (for me anyway) - that staying on Femara/letrozole 'forever' is the way to 'go' based on newer studies/research so I am still on it after 5 yrs and will stay on it.  My DX (Aug '09) is different than yours though - IBC, ER+PR-, HER2- , as was TX - neoadjuvant Chemo, UMX, adjuvant chemo, rads.  So what is good for you/me isn't necessarily so others as there are so many variables and not all Drs see everything exactly the same.

It is great though for you to be off of it.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Rague said:

My Chemo Dr told me the

My Chemo Dr told me the opposite (for me anyway) - that staying on Femara/letrozole 'forever' is the way to 'go' based on newer studies/research so I am still on it after 5 yrs and will stay on it.  My DX (Aug '09) is different than yours though - IBC, ER+PR-, HER2- , as was TX - neoadjuvant Chemo, UMX, adjuvant chemo, rads.  So what is good for you/me isn't necessarily so others as there are so many variables and not all Drs see everything exactly the same.

Susan

Congratulations Donna

Congratulations Donna,

make sure to check any concerns that might come.Celebrate and be vigilant to your health  

Just wonder why doctors have contradictory opinions and hope they take individual medical history into account. As for us we should listen to our doctors

Hugs

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    woot woot
    I remember the last

woot woot

I remember the last day I TOOK my tamoxifen- feels good huh?

Denise

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Donna!

Great news!  My 5 years on Letrozole (Femera generic) will be December.  my oncologist and I talked about it briefly on my last visit and will address it more on my next visit.  

• 1293h25
    1293h25 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Rague said:

My Chemo Dr told me the

Susan

staying on letrozole

I also was told to stay on letrozole after being on it since 2009.  Evidently there is a trial going on in regards to the time limit but it will be another couple of years for the results.  I want to go off the drug but I am afraid of doing so.  My quality of life has progressively gotten worse between the letrozole and pain meds.  Does anyone else deal with these issues?