Nutrition & supplements

granmudder
granmudder Member Posts: 41 Member

Good Morning!! have a question maybe omebody has some info... Hubby finished treatments august 20th.. NED in November .. Eating now which is amazing food still doesnt taste great but doing what He needs to do, problem is weight is not coming back lost 55 lbs in 7 weeks so muscles mass gone. I have been researching as usual to try and fill him with as many calories as possible I met someone who sell Juice Plus  i just ordered in a 4 month supply hoping to get more nutrients into him . I wonder if anybody has any feedback on this type of supplement?? I know it take a long time to regain the strength lost and i am trying everything possible to help . He is just so frustrated.

Comments

• HobbsDoggy
    HobbsDoggy Member Posts: 276
    It Will Take Time

It took me about four months to gain back my weight.  I pushed as hard as I could becusae I wanted me feeding tube out.  I was back to eating and not using the tube a couple of weeks after treatment stopped, but they would not remove the tube until I gained back most of my weight.  Eating was no fun for many months, but I kept at it.  I did not try suppliments only beause they tasted so bad and there were the only things I could taste at first.  I thought my weight would never come back but it did slowly but surely and towards the end fairly fast.  In the first month I gained just a few pounds, but then it started coming on fairly fast.  It will come back just have to shove food down even though it tasts like cardboard.  Taste will come back also, again for me very slowly.  Good luck

• Sailor123
    Sailor123 Member Posts: 97
    Hi Granmudder:
    I finished

Hi Granmudder:

I finished treatment about three months before your husband did.  

Sorry he's frustrated, but he's probably still got a long road ahead.  The good news is I continue to improve, the bad news is progress is slow.  I still can't really taste anything.

I haven't gained my weight back either.  I'm eleven months post treatment and I haven't gained one pound.  I only lost 9 though and no lean muscle mass.  I don't know for sure but I would think protein would help build muscle.  I have a smoothie with Whey in it.  Its pretty tough to gain weight when you don't enjoy food.  Maintaining is difficult.

He will get better but its slow going.

Hang in there.

I am walking miles now and eating much more than I was three months ago.  It will come.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Sailor123 said:

Hi Granmudder:
    I finished

Hi Granmudder:

I finished treatment about three months before your husband did.  

Sorry he's frustrated, but he's probably still got a long road ahead.  The good news is I continue to improve, the bad news is progress is slow.  I still can't really taste anything.

I haven't gained my weight back either.  I'm eleven months post treatment and I haven't gained one pound.  I only lost 9 though and no lean muscle mass.  I don't know for sure but I would think protein would help build muscle.  I have a smoothie with Whey in it.  Its pretty tough to gain weight when you don't enjoy food.  Maintaining is difficult.

He will get better but its slow going.

Hang in there.

I am walking miles now and eating much more than I was three months ago.  It will come.

Granmudder

Try adding some Ensure to his diet. They make one for muscle strength but it just has 250 calories, the Ensure Plus has 350 calories. I always preferred the chocolate. If he likes ice cream, switch to Gelato, it has double the calories but probably not much effect on muscles. I use a protein powder daily that was recommeded in rehab called Prosource, I get it on Amazon. A tub is just under $20 and shipping is free.

• edreddog
    edreddog Member Posts: 19 Member
    Tube or not

Hi guys, am about to start rad and Chemo in the next few waiting for my dates. I'm debating with myself to get a feeding tube or to try to tough it out,from all I have read on hear seems as though the majority have them. I would really like to hear input on this as one min. I think I should then not so much. At this time surgery is not in the picture looks like 7/12 weeks Rad with 3 Chemo treatments. Thanks so much for your in put.

Thanks Ed

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    edreddog said:

Tube or not

Hi guys, am about to start rad and Chemo in the next few waiting for my dates. I'm debating with myself to get a feeding tube or to try to tough it out,from all I have read on hear seems as though the majority have them. I would really like to hear input on this as one min. I think I should then not so much. At this time surgery is not in the picture looks like 7/12 weeks Rad with 3 Chemo treatments. Thanks so much for your in put.

Thanks Ed

Feeding tube or not

It's a tough decision. I was not even offered one before treatment, although they did recommend getting a port implanted for chemo, which I did. My diagnosis was Stage 4, base of tongue, non HPV, SCC. They do not normally do surgery for the location where mine was, so I had IMRT (radiation) and Erbitux (chemo). Maybe because there was no sugery, I was able to get through without the tube. It was tough, I lost 40 pounds, and they had to give me extra fluid several times. I also had acupuncture, which helped with saliva and nausea. It has been six months since therapy ended and I feel fantastic. Stay in touch with the wonderful, supportive people on this board. They'll be there with great advice to help you.