Prevention Oncology Mouth Rinse?

Options

Hi Everyone,

My husband finished his chemo and radiation four weeks ago today. Overall I think he's doing really well. He started eating solid foods a few days ago and is handling that quite well. He has to drink water while he eats but he says the worst pain is from the mouth sores. He has the Magic Mouthwash and a few other products but nothing has helped so far. I came across this product and wondered if anyone has any idea whether it works or not? http://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Oncology-Mouth-Rinse-16/dp/B002J7HNLQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 It's called Prevention Oncology mouth rinse. Since I'm in Canada and it's going to cost quite a bit to get it, I thought I would see if anyone has any opinions about it.

Also, how long do the mouth sores continue for on average?

Thanks!

Comments

• JC F
    JC F Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Mouthwash...

I had the same, Stage IV SCC BOT with metastasis to the right side lymph nodes, and did the chemo and rads without surgery, last summer. I'm in Canada also. I'm not familiar with that product you listed but definitely order one and see if it helps. I didn't have huge problems with mouth sores or ulcers compared to what I've seen some people go through, but I definitely had them under my tongue. The MM helped me quite a bit. Also did the salt and baking soda in a glass of warm water routine. Different pharmacies use different mixtures for the magic mouthwash, perhaps see what is in the MM he is using and see if it can be altered somewhat, or try a different pharmacy. The ulcers under my tongue slowly dissipated within 4-6 weeks. Certainly try anything and everything that may help. Still dealing with the taste and saliva issues...Grrr...

• NelsonOng
    NelsonOng Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi Vickyd123

Ouch, it really does hurts. I can recalled I was using a normal mouth rinse (without alcohol) and baking soda with a little salt. I rinse quite often andbit does gets better. im 2 years out with 33 radiation n 3 cisplatin n till today, I can still feel the fatigue in me. I went thru 15 hrs of surgery removing my left jaw bone n replaced it WTS my left fibula. I must say I am quite fit now as I am running my half n full marathon. 

The mouth sores does gets better as your hubby is now recovering from the brutal treatment. Every individual does gets to recover differently. i took about 4 weeks for the sores in mouth to heal n on 5th week taste buds started to be back. Hang on and continue with the normal rinsing and to keep the mouth clean.

His recovery is just around the corner... Cheers

Nelson

• MGC
    MGC Member Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    NelsonOng said:

Hi Vickyd123

Ouch, it really does hurts. I can recalled I was using a normal mouth rinse (without alcohol) and baking soda with a little salt. I rinse quite often andbit does gets better. im 2 years out with 33 radiation n 3 cisplatin n till today, I can still feel the fatigue in me. I went thru 15 hrs of surgery removing my left jaw bone n replaced it WTS my left fibula. I must say I am quite fit now as I am running my half n full marathon. 

The mouth sores does gets better as your hubby is now recovering from the brutal treatment. Every individual does gets to recover differently. i took about 4 weeks for the sores in mouth to heal n on 5th week taste buds started to be back. Hang on and continue with the normal rinsing and to keep the mouth clean.

His recovery is just around the corner... Cheers

Nelson

mouth sores

Your hubby is at the absolute hardest point right now IMO. Thats when it was the hardest for me was a few weeks after the treatment was over. I had the same treatment.

At one point I couldnt even drink water without a shot of liquid vicadin first. That only lasted a week and then it gradually got better. The magic mouthwash I did for 3 more years at least. Make sure it has xylocaine in it as that it what kills the pain. It only takes a tiny bit.

Good luck

It gets much much better