Anyone see 60 minutes last night???

Options

Hello All,

wishing everyone on this site a few smiles, some laughter and A lot of positive energy today :) 

was wondering if anyone caught 60 Minutes on tv last night?? Could it be possible? Polio the "kryptonite" of the big C ?

my jaw dropped as I watched in amazement last night , how one killer disease might be a answer to killing another.. 

Go DUKE university!!! 

Comments

• Nico08
    Nico08 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes I saw the episode.  There

Yes I saw the episode.  There are other researchers from other institutions using small pox and HIV and other viruses in a similar way as polio.  It sounds like this type of therapy has the potential to treat any tumor based cancer, I just wish the focus had been the polio's application to colon cancer.  If the treatment makes it way through phase 1 2 and 3 trial studies, I hope that I will be around to benefit from it.  

The fact that i has the potential to work on glioblastoma, which is such an aggressive cancer, is encouraging to me.

Maybe one day we will see a cure to colon and other cancers.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Nico08 said:

Yes I saw the episode.  There

Yes I saw the episode.  There are other researchers from other institutions using small pox and HIV and other viruses in a similar way as polio.  It sounds like this type of therapy has the potential to treat any tumor based cancer, I just wish the focus had been the polio's application to colon cancer.  If the treatment makes it way through phase 1 2 and 3 trial studies, I hope that I will be around to benefit from it.  

The fact that i has the potential to work on glioblastoma, which is such an aggressive cancer, is encouraging to me.

Maybe one day we will see a cure to colon and other cancers.

For years now I've told

For years now I've told people that I think that 's how they'll cure cancer-with a virus they introduce that will go after the cancer cells only. Some of the tumours that have invasive tendrils that go off like some brain tumours might only be treatable with this kind of thing. Ha! I am vindicated!

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Hi all

A friend of mine is a survivor of testicular cancer. He has had no recurrence of it but he did follow up with a bout of bladder cancer. His bladder cancer was treated with live tuberculosis virus injected directly into his bladder under very controlled conditions. He was in an isolation ward and after the procedure his urine output went into a bio hazzard container for a prescribed period of time. It seems to have done the job for him. He was very fortunate that the follow up scanning of his testicular cancer lead to an early diagnoses of his bladder cancer. Ron.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Go Duke!!!

It was amazing to see.  Hopefully this research and the similar ones accelerate.  A lot of hope out there.   The FDA should try to get things going quicker in the studies and permissions.  Not just for this and in cancer, but in general.  Not suggesting to throw caution and saftey to the wind, but there are many people who are very ill where perhaps more lives can be saved or drugs can be released just a bit quicker.  The mentioned CRC as being in there at one point and they have things to work on it.  

I am not sure I would not have taken a flyer on something like that and give it a bit of time to see if it worked.  Knew my scans showed something a bit bigger and lymph nodes so it may not have changed my course, but it is was smaller and "looked" earlier a month or two to see what happens may not have been something to pass up.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    ron50 said:

Hi all

A friend of mine is a survivor of testicular cancer. He has had no recurrence of it but he did follow up with a bout of bladder cancer. His bladder cancer was treated with live tuberculosis virus injected directly into his bladder under very controlled conditions. He was in an isolation ward and after the procedure his urine output went into a bio hazzard container for a prescribed period of time. It seems to have done the job for him. He was very fortunate that the follow up scanning of his testicular cancer lead to an early diagnoses of his bladder cancer. Ron.

Wow

That is so cool to read about and glad it worked to for your friend.  Amazing.  

• manwithnoname
    manwithnoname Member Posts: 402
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

For years now I've told

For years now I've told people that I think that 's how they'll cure cancer-with a virus they introduce that will go after the cancer cells only. Some of the tumours that have invasive tendrils that go off like some brain tumours might only be treatable with this kind of thing. Ha! I am vindicated!

NDV

We injected our son for 6 months with a virus called NDV, it didn't work for him but it has helped many many people.