Neuropathy...

JC F
JC F Member Posts: 74

I'm now seven months post tx...I had tingling numbness in all my fingers for a couple of months and it slowly dissipated, but it has now returned in the four fingers of my right hand excluding my thumb. Have any of you had neuropathy in the hands or feet? Did it occur and go away and then come back? My ENT mentioned that it shouldn't return once it leaves. I now have to see him next month to check back on this. Any input on your experiences with neuropathy would be appreciated, thanks...

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    jc f, i'm 5 yrs out from rads

i'm 5 yrs out from rads only, no chemo and i'm just starting to experience tingling in my hands as though they have fallen asleep.  i never associated it with tx, could that be my problem or does chemo only cause that?  its funny that i've never been bothered with this and all of a sudden, it starts.  i wish you the best and hope there is a permanent solution to it.

God bless you,

dj

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi JC

I have the same problems but on the left side of my face, my doctors tried everything they know to help but it just does not get better. The pain from it seems to be getting worse as I find myself taking a little more and more pain killers. I am not sure about the hand or foot if it will go away, I sure hope so because it is hell living on pain meds the rest of your life.

Tim

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    I have neuropathy in my hands and feet...

It started on my 5th chemo treatment....and got worse by the time chemo was over.  It's worse in my thumbs, and gets lighter by the time it gets to my pinkie finger.  I don't think it's gotten better or worse over time.....just that I've gotten used to it.  I don't know either, if it's from rads or chemo....or maybe a little of both?

Mine isn't painful (for some folks it is)....it's just inconvenient when I'm trying to do something  (like put a screw in a small hole Smile)

p

• Ron Silver
    Ron Silver Member Posts: 94
    About 2 yeads out.  Have

About 2 yeads out.  Have neuropathy in hands and feet.  Began in middle off treatment.  Feet are the worst  beginning late afternoon.  Told essentially to just live with it.  Its too bad.  Between the  neuropathy and the taste and saliva issues, "cancer" thoughts become ever present.

• Super-b
    Super-b Member Posts: 26
    YUP

Same treatment as you and have it in both hands and feet. in the hands it is very mild at the moment. in the feet for several months I could not walk without a cane and a foot brace for my left foor due to "drop foot" (could not lift my toes up at all). Now they are getting better and just have numbness in the foles of my feet and fingertips and right hand thumb is totaly numb.

I have found that taking vitamin B complex helps but no matter what nerve damage is very slow to heal.

Also I now tend to glance down at my feet to make sure I am putting them in the right place and to make sure they are still attached to the end of my legs LOL

Regards

Bill

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    tingling

I lost my parathyroid with my laryngectomy, and learned about it the next month - the hard way

Low calcium can cause tingling in the hands and feet - and lips.  If you feel it in the lips - not good.

It can be pretty serious having low calcium - I was in the hospital 9 days getting it regulated.  Its no fun when they wake you up really early and say - "quick, take these tums".

Lorna 2007 & 2014

• JC F
    JC F Member Posts: 74
    lornal said:

tingling

I lost my parathyroid with my laryngectomy, and learned about it the next month - the hard way

Low calcium can cause tingling in the hands and feet - and lips.  If you feel it in the lips - not good.

It can be pretty serious having low calcium - I was in the hospital 9 days getting it regulated.  Its no fun when they wake you up really early and say - "quick, take these tums".

Lorna 2007 & 2014

Neuropathy

Thank you for the replies. I know that some of you have had more severe problems with the neuropathy than I have had.The tingling numbness in the four fingers on my right hand is very annoying. I'm hoping it doesn't worsen and hope it fades away, sooner than later...Frown

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    The Stabbies

Yep... Neuropathy in my feet. Cisplatin 6 treatments weekly is the culprit. Fortunately it didn't affect my hearing or hands (musician - guitar). I have numbness (feels like I'm walking on scrunched up socks all the time) and stabbies (for lack of a better description). I take Gabopentin 300mg x 3-4 times a day. It helps. I've been undergoing acupuncture since January for side effects and I'm feeling some definate improvement (my left foot mostly) as well as in other areas (saliva production and overall pain). 

Positive thoughts and prayers