Dizzy spells 5 years after

Hello,

I have just crossed the 5 year mark.  Everything has been great but last month I started having dizzy spells.  Saw the neurologist today and he thinks one of my arteries to the brain has harden.

He says this can happen from people who have had radiation.  Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening to anyone.  To be honest he is not sure and they are a bif  confused by 

my dizzy spells.  

Comments

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Can't say

Sorry, no help from me on that one. I have been radiated 3 times but haven't been dizzy. Then again, it hasn't been 5 years for me yet,

• amr2662
    amr2662 Member Posts: 45 Member
    Dizzy or Lightheaded

I was having some issues and thought I was dizzy until my doctor explained that I was actually lightheaded.  I felt like I was going to pass out (and actually did on more than one occassion).  I was having issues with low blood pressure from radiation damage to baroreceptors.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Don

Yep it is radiation damage to the Cartoid Artery in the neck; my heart doctor did a scan on me because I was having high and low blood pressure problems all at the same time. He checks them every time I see him now just to be sure they are not getting worse, just another gift for our friend. Radiation the gift that just keeps giving over and over again.

Tim        

• MGC
    MGC Member Posts: 72 Member
    Hondo said:

Hi Don

Yep it is radiation damage to the Cartoid Artery in the neck; my heart doctor did a scan on me because I was having high and low blood pressure problems all at the same time. He checks them every time I see him now just to be sure they are not getting worse, just another gift for our friend. Radiation the gift that just keeps giving over and over again.

Tim        

5 years out

I am 5 years this month post orig diag Stage 4 SCC tonsil & BOT. 2 chemo's and 33 rads, no surgery.

I have never had dizzy spells thank God. It does not suprise me though as i have seen some crazy stuff. A year ago I had some severe pain on the side of my head and neck. Had a couple MRI's and they said just an infection. Gave me some medicine and the pain disapeared but the side of head is still tingeling and semi numb a year later. It all good, no more pain, no meds. Fast forward a year. 2 months ago i get a bad case of thrush. Bad bad thrush. I can no longer swallow without sever coughing and eyes watering.Back to Stanford i go and another MRI. All good, just bad thrush. They give me meds and the thrush is all gone in 2 weeks and I feel great, can eat again but my speech is slightly slurred and I lost some serious coordination with my tongue. 5 friggin years later , all good and now this. Like Hondo said, Radiation just keeps on giving. He is right. Doctor says the MRI is clear but I have Pet next week just to make sure and swallow study as well. I did have carotid artery ultra sound a year ago and it was all good too. I have been seeing more similar issues with longer term survivors on this discussion board FWIW.

http://www.cancercompass.com/message-board/message/all,64316,1.htm

good luck and I hope the dizzy spells are only nerve damage and not something worse.

Will keep you in my prayers

Mark

• francma
    francma Member Posts: 69 Member
    Hi
    i am 4 yrs post treatment.

Hi

i am 4 yrs post treatment. I am experiencing vertigo more so when moving position after laying in bed. I had it 3 yrs ago and now past two months. Been told it is the crystals in the ear. There are exercises for it or to go to physical therapy. 

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    francma said:

Hi
    i am 4 yrs post treatment.

Hi

i am 4 yrs post treatment. I am experiencing vertigo more so when moving position after laying in bed. I had it 3 yrs ago and now past two months. Been told it is the crystals in the ear. There are exercises for it or to go to physical therapy. 

@ Francma

I am 2.5 years post treatment (NPC) and have vertigo. It was triggered a week after infectious otitis media. I have spells of vertigo every time I move my head or change position – for the last 3 weeks. Very annoying. Sometimes is better other is worse. I tend to have this more of the right side (but this changes, too), and when I do, the Epley maneuver sometimes helps (again, only if it’s one sided, otherwise it “confuses” the otoliths and things get actually worse).

• PJ47
    PJ47 Member Posts: 376
    Are you blond? Just joking,

I requested a carotid ultrasound to have a baseline available in the event this occurs in the future which it can.  I am 18 months post treatment and so far so good.  My lymph node that had cancer in it was on top of my carotid artery, so I was also concerned about any possible damage to it, but so far so good.  I recently got quite dizzy on a trip to Colorado but that was due to the altitude.  I would have the ultrasound done to rule out any damage to it as it can be repaired.  Best of luck to you,

PJ

• MJ70
    MJ70 Member Posts: 75
    Dizzy spells

I am 11 years out from ssc base of tongue..and i have had to do with Dizziness for the last 8 years..my blood pressure has been up and down like Hondos...solme says orthdatatic hypo tensiion some say it it prostprandial hypotension..my family doc isist it it my bario receptors in my cardid artery... i do get dizzy when i eat so i do thinkit is prostprandial hypotension alot ..when my bp is high is is not bad ..my blood pressure drops to lows of 80 over 40 on many accasions..  taking in water helps me alot..

i HAVE BEEN ON A PEG OR MICKEY BUTTON FOR ALMOST  A YEAR..Gettting tired of the farmula and just bought a vitamix for make my own meals..i know Hondo makes his own blends and if you read this Hondo or anyone who blends could you email me at   mel1940@hotmail.com   to let me know the best recipes or books i can get to give

the calories to keep my weight up ..appreciate your help..Mel

• MJ70
    MJ70 Member Posts: 75
    Dizzy spells

I do have to agree on Hondos accesment on the bario receptors in my carodid artiey as i also have blood pressure  that is high one time an an hours later iit lower than normal... I do feel the very best wtih my energy when it is high as in 220 over 120.....not good when it is like  that but an hour later it is  160 over 80  ... Hard to treament with bp like that..is monitor is many times a day..part of my life.. thankfully if am retired ..Mel 

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Don

I use to have a lot of have dizzy spells but mine were from my ears filling with liquid. Also my heart doctor checks up on my Carotid Artery every now and then to make sure they are not giving me problems because I have 40% blockage due to radiation damage. The problem with us is that they can’t put a splint in due to the artery being hardened from treatment. I am mostly vegetarian now to help keep my cholesterol levels very low, it must be working because so far I have not had any problems with it. You know you are in my prayers

Tim    

• Fast Eddy
    Fast Eddy Member Posts: 3
    Hondo said:

Hi Don

I use to have a lot of have dizzy spells but mine were from my ears filling with liquid. Also my heart doctor checks up on my Carotid Artery every now and then to make sure they are not giving me problems because I have 40% blockage due to radiation damage. The problem with us is that they can’t put a splint in due to the artery being hardened from treatment. I am mostly vegetarian now to help keep my cholesterol levels very low, it must be working because so far I have not had any problems with it. You know you are in my prayers

Tim    

Ear Fluid

I am two weeks out of treatment Surgery then2 Chemo and 30 rads.  Now I have fluid in my ear and it's really messing with my balance did yours get better or is it off and on?  Thanks