Treatment working, but stopped!

On Monday I had a CT Scan at the 50% point in my Doxil treatment plan.  It showed lymph nodes shrinking (only area of spread) and nothing else to worry about.  Treatment working.  BUT.....on Tuesday I went to Dermatology because the side effects have been so drastic (major hand/foot; chemo rash/burn from hell);  They got on the phone with my oncologist and started me on a two week regimen of steroids and ointments to get me back on my feet (literally).  They stopped treatment completely until I am completely healed.  However, my oncologist is reluctant to continue with Doxil, even on a reduced dosage and with Decadron (steroid) added in because the reaction has been so toxic.  She is afraid it will come back.  I'm so discouraged!!  I was half way through and the treatment was working.  Last year I went through chemo with Paclitaxel and Carboplatin and it was successful but remission only lasted 6 months.   I am really discouraged at the idea of having to start all over with something else, probably lose my hair again (it has just gotten to the point where it actually looks like normal hair again; no hair loss with Doxil).  Has anyone had experience with another chemo drug that provided long term remission?   I have no tumors, or masses, and no organ involvement.  Just these pelvic nodes.  I am thinking about going back to my original surgeon and asking her if surgery is an option.  There is a case study in Japan where a uterine patient about my age (65) with recurrent uterine cancer that only showed up in the pelvic nodes had them urgically removed.  It was curative.  She experienced no further recurrances.  I'm really discouraged at this point, but trying to just focus on getting better for the moment.  Anyone else been through anything similar?

Comments

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    It is discouraging but there are other options.

In my case the Doxil didn't work and they tried a clinical trial - I ended up getting rejected at the eleventh hour.  Then on to Avastin!  I am platinum resistant after having progression through front and second line chemos.  Avastin has me stable, no new growth (scans again next week) and I feel pretty well.  Working, have my hair and riding horses.  So don't despair!  Just get healthy and know there are other options out there.  Hugs - Anne

• daylady
    daylady Member Posts: 122
    AWK said:

It is discouraging but there are other options.

In my case the Doxil didn't work and they tried a clinical trial - I ended up getting rejected at the eleventh hour.  Then on to Avastin!  I am platinum resistant after having progression through front and second line chemos.  Avastin has me stable, no new growth (scans again next week) and I feel pretty well.  Working, have my hair and riding horses.  So don't despair!  Just get healthy and know there are other options out there.  Hugs - Anne

Thanks so much Anne!  Hope

Thanks so much Anne!  Hope your stability lasts a long, long, long time!