Long Term Survivor aka Dr. Patrick S. Dunlap (wife)

Options

I am Janet Dunlap, wife of Dr. Patrick Dunlap, better known to some of you on this board, as "LongTermSurvivor."  Pat passed away February 10th, 2015 at 6:00 a.m.  Pat was on the board even February 9th. If anyone desires details you can reach out to me at jbcody2424@gmail.com.  We had contacted hospic about three weeks prior to his passing.  Pat was down to 129 lbs and his tumor had grown per our last visit to St. Louis in late January.  Pat seemed to be doing better.  Pat NEVER complained one day of his life or felt sorry for himself.  He battled this since 1998 and then the recurrances began in 2010.  He was the most wonderful spouse, father, grandfather, physician, brother, son.  I have for the 15 years of our marriage admired Pat's strength and ability to reach out to others and offer his assistance.  I was so glad that he was able to help those that reached out to him.  He so wanted to truely help. 

Pat started bleeding around 10 p.m.  We did call Hospic and I got all four of the children/their spouses here in time to be with us.  We all piled on the king size bed together and held Pat as he quitely passed away.  His last 'words' -- he signed a heart and pointed to me. 

His funeral service was February 14th.  That day will forever be my memorial to Pat.  If you wish to write something to Pat's family, mom or myself you can also go on www.bentoncountryfuneralhome.com  - February 10th, Patrick Dunlap and write on the condolence wall.

At this time. I am taking Pat's life insurance to form a foundation for Neck Cancer named after Pat.  I feel led to carry on what could be a memorial to him forever. 

Pat was my hero and he is greatly missed.  It is a dailey struggle for all of us. But, his presence is felt. 

Thanks to all,

Janet Dunlap (Dr. Patrick Dunlap - Longtermsurvivor)

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Thank you Janet....

for stopping by here and giving us the web sites to pay our condolences.  Pat is very missed on this board....his knowledge, his humor....his compassion....are things we all leaned in to....

p

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Thank You

Janet,

Pat was very special to all of us and will be fondly remembered.  Other than the wealth of knowledge he blessed this site with, I would follow his hikes on google earth and the internet.

Using a member’s map we have here, I followed the path to Pat’s service and have read many of the wonderful memories of the man we called Longtermsurvivor.

Peace,

Matt

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Thank you.....

In the short time I knew him he always has good advice and support for everyone. I have been here just over a year and in that time I can not count the lives he has toched. He was able to take the fear away for so many and for myself helped me through my rough time as well.  He will be missed, but he will never be forgoten. May he and your family be at peace, as he was a saint to so many at their time of need.

Bill

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Thoughts and Prayers

I'm not on here like I once was, but when I do come on posts like this rip at my heart. I joke around alot on here but this takes my smile and sens of humor away.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Jeff

• Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    He is missed by many

Janet,

Thanks for touching base with us here.  In a way many of us here considered him as extended family--and he mentored many of us through some tough times, including myself.  I am so sorry for your loss.

I am out of town for the next few days but will be sure to write something for his memorial book on line when I get back.

Mike

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Pat aka Long Term Survivor

Janet, thank you for updating us as to Pat and what you are doing for him.   What a great honor to his memory.

We all have our own memories of Pat and how he offered advice that would help us get through some of the side effects of treatment.  Mine was Thrush and I was battling it non-stop for many months after my treatement finished.  It was Pat who recommended that I go on a preventative dose of medicine and I talked to my Dr about it and sure enough, that's what we ended up doing and it kept it at bay until my body could fight it off.

I'm not on the site as much as I was in the past but I was very sad to learn of Pat's passing.   He was a fine man who touched many with his compassion and wisdom and I remember the day I read his post where he mentioned that he was on pallative care for the rest of his battle.    He fought with courage and dignity until the very end and as you said, he was still offering advice up until a few days before his death.  

He was a hero to many of us and I know many of us miss his postings.

Sincerely,

Keith

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for

Thank you so much for providing this info. I was one of many who was always interested to hear his take on various aspects of dealing with this beast. He was always providing clear answers, with sound medical knowledge. Also his humor always helped dealing with crappy situation. I will always miss him.

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Thank you

Thank you for posting.  Pat will be greatly missed on this forum.  When he posted, I always read his wise words.  He was comforting yet honest about what we are going through.  Condolences to the family.

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    loss

I am sorry for the loss of Pat but grateful for all he shared, Janet.

You are in my prayers.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Janet

We will all miss him, he was a great help and support to many of us here. My prayers are with you and your family.

Tim

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    So Sorry

As others have said, Pat will be missed on this site. I lost my husband to this beast last April. It was the hardest day of my life. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers.  Debbie

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    dear Janet, thank you for

dear Janet, thank you for your kindness to stop by and bring us up to date.  Your husband was a very unique, special and very caring man and we will all miss him greatly.  he definitely spent his time helping us here.  many, many times he calmed our fears when we didn't understand our scan reports and we thought the worst.  he never seemed put out but always eagar to help us all.  he was a wealth of knowledge and he didn't mind sharing that with any of us.  I am still in the "I can't believe it" mode even though I knew he was very sick and terminal.  I'm sure you are still in that mode as well.  I'm praying for you and your family at this extremely sad and very hard time.  Your plan to form a foundation in Pat's name is an awesome idea!  your ability to think of others at this time perfectly shows why Pat loved you!!  Like Pat, you are a special human being.  Thank you, Janet.

God bless you,

dj

• michdjp
    michdjp Member Posts: 220
    Options
    My condolences

Dear Janet, 

thank you for sharing your post with us and please accept my condolences for your loss. Pat was a big part of this family and was always there to offer help in any way he could. I am sorry he had to go thru this.  

michelle

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Prayers..

Knowing Pat and you, if you remember we met along with my wife at Bass Pro Shop in Orlando... He would want you to continue his work and I'm sure be honored at your carrying on his tradition of helping others...

I loved talking to him about his gardening, and his old restored Massey- Ferguson Tractor...

Thoughts, prayers and memories,

John

• cureitall66
    cureitall66 Member Posts: 913
    Options
    Thinking of you and your family...

Janet,

Thank you for taking the time to post this to us. My condolences to you and your family. Pat was a wonderful friend to all of us on here. He was so supportive in our time of need here and will be greatly missed. He was such a helpful person and never hesitated to help you through the rough times and questions. You had a wonderful man there! I will certainly miss our chats here.

Thoughts and Prayers to you and your family.

Cris

~Cureitall

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

Thinking of you and your family...

Janet,

Thank you for taking the time to post this to us. My condolences to you and your family. Pat was a wonderful friend to all of us on here. He was so supportive in our time of need here and will be greatly missed. He was such a helpful person and never hesitated to help you through the rough times and questions. You had a wonderful man there! I will certainly miss our chats here.

Thoughts and Prayers to you and your family.

Cris

~Cureitall

Janet

Sending thoughts and prayers to your family. I always counted on Pat for honest and educated input. It was easy to see how caring he was. Now that he is at peace with the Lord, he will be missed by many.

Deepest sympathy,

Candi (St Louis)

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    hwt said:

Janet

Sending thoughts and prayers to your family. I always counted on Pat for honest and educated input. It was easy to see how caring he was. Now that he is at peace with the Lord, he will be missed by many.

Deepest sympathy,

Candi (St Louis)

From Liverpool England

Janet, Pats compassion and strength had ripples all the way accross the atlantic. My Deepest Sympathy, Gary

• Goyca
    Goyca Member Posts: 220
    Options
    Dear Janet, im sorry for ur

Dear Janet, im sorry for ur loss. please know that Pat was inspiring and supportive for a lot a lot of people including me, he was my first friend here on this forum. I pray for him and u too. Thank u for starting a project to help others thank u.