My 65 year old male neighbor has a positive "cologuard"

2»

Comments

• wellspouse
    wellspouse Member Posts: 1
    Cologuard

I got a positive Cologuard test several months ago, after 14 years since my first normal colonoscopy.  I had no symptoms other than hemorrhoids which I think skewed the test and doctors had been nagging me to get another colonoscopy.  Finally got it today and it is perfectly normal.  I appreciate the comments here so much because I would keep reading them over the months between the positive test and the procedure today, hoping I would be one of the false positives also.  The GI doctor had told me that he did 70 colonoscopies in the past year from positive Cologuards, and none had cancer!  So hoping this can give some hope to others down the road whose Cologuards come back positive.

• rrs0159
    rrs0159 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017 #23
    Save your money in more ways than one.

My husband just had a cologuard test done with his annual wellness checkup.  The false positive of the cologuard test sent him for a colonoscopy which he was not due for as a matter of wellness exams go.  We are thankful for the fact that he does not have cancer, but the order of things for insurance did not go well.  Our catastrophic insurance covers the cologuard test under wellness, but the colonoscopy went all to decuctible because the cologuard test was the screening test and the colonscopy now became the diagnositc test!  My very humble opinion...skip the cologuard test and do your colonoscopy when your wellness schedule allows it.  Just a heads up for people who don't have a bunch of extra money they want to pay for a test they don't need....

Oh, and my sister-in-law also had a false positive cologuard test which in turn sent her for an unneeded colonoscopy.

• heidie
    heidie Member Posts: 4
    Positive cologuard

I posted a while back about my positive cologuard test which was upsetting and had me worried. I had my colonoscopy today and all is well except for a polyp. I will get final results in a few days but Dr. says not to worry and everything looked good. His words:" The cologuard test is junk"

Well from now on I will be getting colonoscopies and skip the $650 test

• dpoz
    dpoz Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018 #25

Cologuard

I got a positive Cologuard test several months ago, after 14 years since my first normal colonoscopy.  I had no symptoms other than hemorrhoids which I think skewed the test and doctors had been nagging me to get another colonoscopy.  Finally got it today and it is perfectly normal.  I appreciate the comments here so much because I would keep reading them over the months between the positive test and the procedure today, hoping I would be one of the false positives also.  The GI doctor had told me that he did 70 colonoscopies in the past year from positive Cologuards, and none had cancer!  So hoping this can give some hope to others down the road whose Cologuards come back positive.

Thank you

Your post makes me feel a bit better.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    heidie said:

Positive cologuard

I posted a while back about my positive cologuard test which was upsetting and had me worried. I had my colonoscopy today and all is well except for a polyp. I will get final results in a few days but Dr. says not to worry and everything looked good. His words:" The cologuard test is junk"

Well from now on I will be getting colonoscopies and skip the $650 test

Too many false positives

I am very happy to hear your news, heidie.  May you never have to worry like that again. And yes, stick with the 10 year colonoscopies. 

Tru

• kaybee64
    kaybee64 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018 #27
    Another False Positive & your INSURANCE COMPANY

Unfortunately, I had the same experience as someone else on this site.  My doc recommended the cologuard test. I did it and results came back positive whic of course was very scary.  I then had a colonscopy and not a thing was found, No polyps - nothing whatsoever wrong! Well then my insurance company denied the payment for the cologuard test and said it was not covered, so I owed over $600.  Then, my insurance company said since I did the cologuard test and it came back positive, they considered the colonscopy as DIAGNOSTIC rather than a SCREENING and so it was not fully covered and they would only pay 80% AFTER BY HIGH Dedeuctible was met!!  If it was just considered a routine screening, it would have bee totally covered.  So I owe a total of over $4000 for a colonscopy that was totally free of any problems. And this was all the result of a false positive Cologuard test.  So, my advise is don't do the cologuard test at all and just go get your routine colonoscopy when needed.  I've totally learned my lesson!  Never again will I do this test!!  

• Lisa S
    Lisa S Member Posts: 2

Cologuard

False Positives

Thanks for sharing that!  It makes me feel a little better about my current situation with a positive cologuard result.  I'm feeling a little rattled right now because of this situation.

• Lisa S
    Lisa S Member Posts: 2
    kaybee64 said:

Unfortunately, I had the same experience as someone else on this site.  My doc recommended the cologuard test. I did it and results came back positive whic of course was very scary.  I then had a colonscopy and not a thing was found, No polyps - nothing whatsoever wrong! Well then my insurance company denied the payment for the cologuard test and said it was not covered, so I owed over $600.  Then, my insurance company said since I did the cologuard test and it came back positive, they considered the colonscopy as DIAGNOSTIC rather than a SCREENING and so it was not fully covered and they would only pay 80% AFTER BY HIGH Dedeuctible was met!!  If it was just considered a routine screening, it would have bee totally covered.  So I owe a total of over $4000 for a colonscopy that was totally free of any problems. And this was all the result of a false positive Cologuard test.  So, my advise is don't do the cologuard test at all and just go get your routine colonoscopy when needed.  I've totally learned my lesson!  Never again will I do this test!!  

cologuard

I will never do this again either.  Not worth the worry when you get a positive result.  Just get a colonoscopy.

• Trubrit
    kaybee64 said:

What an awful experience

Try to fight the insurance if you can. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    kaybee64 said:

Sorry

You need to fight this insurance company.  First off you need to get a hold of the doctor's office that ordered this.  They can rewrite the first test and then the colonoscopy due to the fact that you had a positive result and the insurance should cover both.  Don't let this slide.  I've had to deal with insurance on a particular issue and went round and round with them and finally was able to get them to pay for a surgery that was needed.  They will try and not pay, but don't let them win.  Hope you get this resolved.

Kim

• Mia33496
    Mia33496 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018 #32
    Agree

Totally agree and sorry you had to go through all that. I had a positive Cologuard and had to wait five weeks for the colonoscopy, which showed nothing wrong, thank goodness. I would not recommend the Cologuard test - created unnecessary anxiety, and the colonoscope was really no problem. I did not even need to miss work - i was home three hours after leaving and was able to work from home. Lesson learned - don’t try to get off easy - do the gold standard test. 

• Summer91
    Summer91 Member Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2019 #33
    FIT versus Cologuard

Hi!  So glad I found this discussion board.  I have IBS and while it has been under control for several years, I had a return of symptoms over the past few months - bloating, occassional cramping, sometimes diarrhea and sometimes constipation - typical IBS.  My primary care doctor suggested the Stanford FODMAP diet, which is basically gluten-free, lactose-free, low sugar, low fiber.  Trust me, the list of foods you cannot eat is much longer than the list of foods you can eat!  If I adhere strictly to this diet, the IBS symtoms go away.

Before I saw the doctor, I also ordered a FIT test from Letsgetchecked.com.  The results of that test arrived after I saw my doctor and were negative.  The doctor wanted me to take the Cologuard test, so I did so.  That came back positive!  From the papers I have read, Cologuard has a false postive rate of 13% and FIT has a false positive rate of 5%.  So, now I have to get a colonoscopy for piece of mind and I have to find a provider who has experience doing this exam, sedation-free (I cannot metabolize any sedative well).  sigh  

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Summer91 said:

FIT versus Cologuard

Hi!  So glad I found this discussion board.  I have IBS and while it has been under control for several years, I had a return of symptoms over the past few months - bloating, occassional cramping, sometimes diarrhea and sometimes constipation - typical IBS.  My primary care doctor suggested the Stanford FODMAP diet, which is basically gluten-free, lactose-free, low sugar, low fiber.  Trust me, the list of foods you cannot eat is much longer than the list of foods you can eat!  If I adhere strictly to this diet, the IBS symtoms go away.

Before I saw the doctor, I also ordered a FIT test from Letsgetchecked.com.  The results of that test arrived after I saw my doctor and were negative.  The doctor wanted me to take the Cologuard test, so I did so.  That came back positive!  From the papers I have read, Cologuard has a false postive rate of 13% and FIT has a false positive rate of 5%.  So, now I have to get a colonoscopy for piece of mind and I have to find a provider who has experience doing this exam, sedation-free (I cannot metabolize any sedative well).  sigh  

Hello, plesse start your own

Hello, plesse start your own thread or this post will likely get lost. I had IBS as long as I can remember. Because of it the symptoms were masked. Blood in the stool? Yup. Other symptoms, yup! Blood in the stool can be caused by a number of things. If I were you I'd get a colonoscopy because if you have polyps they take them out right then and there. They can become cancerous so you don't want them to stick around. A colonoscopy isn't as bad or as humiliating as people imagine. You just lie on your side and it's very quick. It's a lot better than having cancer. I wish I could the me years ago this. I was so scared of having one. It would have been much better and less invasive than the cancer.

Jan

• Salliesmom33
    Salliesmom33 Member Posts: 1

From what I have read

This test does 2 things...it tests for minute traces of blood which might indicate a problem and it also tests for genetic material which is shed from turmors.  The older and cheaper test only tests for the presence of blood in the stool.

The article said that if a positive is found, then a colonoscopy should be done.  It is apparently more accurate than the old test for positive results, but less so for negative results.

One of the best things about this test is that more folks may be inclinded to do it over having a colonoscopy because it does not require the prep and the procedure.  It can be done in the home.  It could also be done for those "at risk" between scheduled colonoscopies, to keep a closer watch.

It was approved in August 2014 by the FDA and costs about $600.  That your neighbor's insurance covers it is great. 

Regardless of the out of pocket cost, it might get more early detection for those who shy away from the colonoscopy.

If it gets more folks to be checked, that is a good thing.

Marie who loves kitties

I just tested positive on my cologuard test

I am scared to death. I was told to have a colonoscopy immediately. Should I be panicking?? Or is there a chance that a positive test might be only something small like a blessing hemroid?

• PennyD2911
    PennyD2911 Member Posts: 2

I just tested positive on my cologuard test

I am scared to death. I was told to have a colonoscopy immediately. Should I be panicking?? Or is there a chance that a positive test might be only something small like a blessing hemroid?

Cologuard Positive

I too just received the phone call that my test results from the Cologuard test are positive.  I was NOT expecting this! I did it because the MA at my doctors office ask me to, since I am 58 and have never had a colonoscopy. As far as I can tell I don’t have any issues that would cause the test to come back positive. The only thing that comes to mind is occasional hemroids and intermittent bouts of constipation. Even those don’t happen frequently.  I have severe issue with anxiety and panic attacks, and this has me really scared.  Anyone had positive Cologuard results and nothing found when the colonoscopy was done?

• Trubrit
    edited May 2019 #37

Cologuard Positive

I too just received the phone call that my test results from the Cologuard test are positive.  I was NOT expecting this! I did it because the MA at my doctors office ask me to, since I am 58 and have never had a colonoscopy. As far as I can tell I don’t have any issues that would cause the test to come back positive. The only thing that comes to mind is occasional hemroids and intermittent bouts of constipation. Even those don’t happen frequently.  I have severe issue with anxiety and panic attacks, and this has me really scared.  Anyone had positive Cologuard results and nothing found when the colonoscopy was done?

Chances are

There seem to be allot of people who have false positive results, and then there are folks who are diagnosed. 

When did you have your last colonoscopy? If the answer is never, I would highly suggest that you go ahead and get one, because at the end of the day, it will ease your mind. 

I had no real symptoms of the Stage IV Cancer that I was diagnosed with, so you can't bank on how well you feel, or the fact that you don't exhibit any of the known problems assosiated wtih a CRC diagnosis. 

So, my advice, if you haven't had a colonoscopy in several years, get one now, and fingers crossed your Cologuard was one of the many false positives. 

Tru

• PennyD2911
    PennyD2911 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2019 #38
    Trubrit said:

Chances are

There seem to be allot of people who have false positive results, and then there are folks who are diagnosed. 

When did you have your last colonoscopy? If the answer is never, I would highly suggest that you go ahead and get one, because at the end of the day, it will ease your mind. 

I had no real symptoms of the Stage IV Cancer that I was diagnosed with, so you can't bank on how well you feel, or the fact that you don't exhibit any of the known problems assosiated wtih a CRC diagnosis. 

So, my advice, if you haven't had a colonoscopy in several years, get one now, and fingers crossed your Cologuard was one of the many false positives. 

Tru

Tru, I’m not sure if your

Tru, I’m not sure if your reply is to me, but just in case :) I wanted to say I am definitely getting a colonoscopy. I always want to know if there is something going on in my body and I want to get it checked out.  I’m just praying I am one of the false positive Cologuard results. 

• Cute76
    Cute76 Member Posts: 1 *

Hello I took the colorguard I had no symptoms or anything. My doctor just said I was 45 and older and should take it so I took it. I didn’t prepare no special diet. I just took it on a Monday and it came back positive. I have read a lot about it having fake positives and then my doctor wants me to get a colonoscopy which I’m really scared to do that. Have a lot of people had a fake positive with taking colorguard.