Good news, County School Board wants me to be a speaker. Update 4/14

Options

Comments

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Good News + Good Deal

I know what you mean. One of these days after I retire and have the time I plan to also give back. Soon after my treatment I needed to build up my confidence in speaking publicly so I volunteered to speak to some high school students on unions. At the end I explained why I had to sip water throughout my talks. I asked if anyone smoked and nobody raised their hand but I did observe that  at least two were not truthfull because one kid slapped his buddy on the arm after I raised the question and another scanned the room and slid down her chair a bit. (I get paid to be observant and to watch peoples demeaner). I thought about picking a scapegoat and do some drilling  but the ned of the class was near.

There are some young ladies that work next door to the Union Hall who work for the Pension and Health and Welfare Funds one day as they were walking outside for their break I followed them out and once they lit up I asked them to give me a cigarette all three looked at each other and said no. I reached for my wallet and asked how much I just want one and one said why look what smoking did to you. I responded with, and the possibility isn't there that the same could happen to you? I also stated so if I understand this correctly you care about me more than you care about yourself? What's wrong with this picture? I couldn't get them to give me one nor would I have taken it.

Good luck Bill

Jeff

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Wonderful

If you can help one kid, understand the dangers ,of certain things we do in life, it will be great. showing them that some risks we take may be corrected, but, not always...you're doing an awesome service

• scarytimes
    scarytimes Member Posts: 16
    Options
    great!!

I'm happy to know that you will be able to touch some lives. In school all we ever had was people talking about drinking and driving- not a bad subject to discuss for sure but kids need to hear some first hand stuff. I wish I had.

Congrats to you!!

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Well I finally heard when it starts - update

I had the meeting with them then nothing, and didn't return some calls. I guess it was that there busy. Got the call and have the day and time and place for my first talk. April 14th. 

I also did the other YouTube videos and now have five done for Laryngectomee's. So far one has had 100 hits and they have been seen in the US and 10 other countrys. The one on getting a pulmonary test has all ready helped two get the test they were told that  can't be done on neck breathers. It's been a good day. 

Hope you all had a great day as well.

Bill

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

I had the meeting with them then nothing, and didn't return some calls. I guess it was that there busy. Got the call and have the day and time and place for my first talk. April 14th. 

I also did the other YouTube videos and now have five done for Laryngectomee's. So far one has had 100 hits and they have been seen in the US and 10 other countrys. The one on getting a pulmonary test has all ready helped two get the test they were told that  can't be done on neck breathers. It's been a good day. 

Bill

Bill

As someone with a fear of public speaking, i certainly admire you! I'll be looking forward to hearing how the 14th goes.  Good luck!

• wmc
    Options
    hwt said:

Bill

As someone with a fear of public speaking, i certainly admire you! I'll be looking forward to hearing how the 14th goes.  Good luck!

Thank you Candi....

I'm somewhat nervus, not to be speaking as I gave tures on the plant I worked at. It is that they are a lot younger than I expected. It will be 5th and 6th grade kids. Well to start with then will go up to 7th through 12th grade. So I have to adjust on how and what I am going to referance. I'll let you know how it went. Thank you.

Bill

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Thank you Candi....

I'm somewhat nervus, not to be speaking as I gave tures on the plant I worked at. It is that they are a lot younger than I expected. It will be 5th and 6th grade kids. Well to start with then will go up to 7th through 12th grade. So I have to adjust on how and what I am going to referance. I'll let you know how it went. Thank you.

Bill

Don't be nervous.

Don't be nervous. I was a teacher (grades 1-12) and can tell you the 5th and 6th graders will be awed by you. They are wiggly and squirmy, but your message will get through. I am so happy you are going to reach them before most have tried smoking. You have a chance to save lives. How cool is that? I'm glad your surgery went well, too.

Beth 

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Bill

Great work

I can’t believe how good you are able to talk, you are amazing my friend. Keep up the good work and will be pulling for you April 14.

Tim  

• wmc
    Options
    MrsBD said:

Don't be nervous.

Don't be nervous. I was a teacher (grades 1-12) and can tell you the 5th and 6th graders will be awed by you. They are wiggly and squirmy, but your message will get through. I am so happy you are going to reach them before most have tried smoking. You have a chance to save lives. How cool is that? I'm glad your surgery went well, too.

Beth 

Thank you.......

Thanks Beth. I have a good feeling about this. So far the videos I did have helped two people get tested for COPD that were told it could not be done to a neckbreather. One printed out what I sent him and told them if they didn't understand still, watch the video on how to do it. He was tested and does have mild stage 2 COPD but with the meds and knowing how to deal with it will be a long time before it goes to 3. It's a nice feeling making a difference in someones life. Thanks

Bill

• wmc
    Options
    Hondo said:

Great work

I can’t believe how good you are able to talk, you are amazing my friend. Keep up the good work and will be pulling for you April 14.

Tim  

Tim thank you as well.....

I think my next venture will be going to two colleges we have that teach nursing and respitory as well. Not many ever get to see a Laryngectomee so they don't know how to treat them or give oxygen to them. Just the other day I was told that before they gave them the anesthesia they said they knew she was a neck breather, but as she was going under they hooked the oxygen to her nose. That can fill up her stomach with air [not good] but none went to her lungs. Maybe if I let them see a stoma up close and answer questions on how to clean and unblock a mucus plug, which will stop you from breathing, when they get there degree in nursing and they see a laryngectomee they will know how to take care of them. It's not anyones fault, they just never see one so they don't know what to do. Heck maybe the life I save might be mine.

Thanks, i'll keep you posted.

Bill

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Bill

bill, i cannot begin to tell

bill, i cannot begin to tell you how awesome i think you are for all you are doing to give back and help others.  the videos are superb and your willingness to speak publicly is outstanding.  you are truly an inspiriation and i'm proud to know you!!  God bless you, Bill!

dj

• wmc
    Options

bill, i cannot begin to tell

bill, i cannot begin to tell you how awesome i think you are for all you are doing to give back and help others.  the videos are superb and your willingness to speak publicly is outstanding.  you are truly an inspiriation and i'm proud to know you!!  God bless you, Bill!

dj

Debbie I thank you as you were the first to reach out.

Debbie you were the first to reach and welcome me, then so many followed I knew I had met people who I could talk with on how I was doing and felt. If you try that with your friends, you loose them as they can't handle real sickness, and drify away. I am able to tell them I'm fine and come hear and be truthfull, and be helpped because I could.

The videos I did have helped people already. The one on Pulmonary lung function test has helped two already on WebWhispers and they were able to be tested after being told it can't be done. It has had 156 views and been seen in the US and 13 other countries. I'm glad I did it as it is helping Larys with COPD be tested when they have been told it can't be done. The WebWhispers added them to their libuary.

This Tuesday is my first talk and I hope it goes well. I have the chance to keep someone from starting tobacco use, and in a small way save there life or at least extend it with out all the problems I have because of it. I'll keep you updated how it went when it is over. Thank you.

Bill

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Debbie you were the first to reach and welcome me, then so many followed I knew I had met people who I could talk with on how I was doing and felt. If you try that with your friends, you loose them as they can't handle real sickness, and drify away. I am able to tell them I'm fine and come hear and be truthfull, and be helpped because I could.

The videos I did have helped people already. The one on Pulmonary lung function test has helped two already on WebWhispers and they were able to be tested after being told it can't be done. It has had 156 views and been seen in the US and 13 other countries. I'm glad I did it as it is helping Larys with COPD be tested when they have been told it can't be done. The WebWhispers added them to their libuary.

This Tuesday is my first talk and I hope it goes well. I have the chance to keep someone from starting tobacco use, and in a small way save there life or at least extend it with out all the problems I have because of it. I'll keep you updated how it went when it is over. Thank you.

Bill

good luck

Fantasic news, Bill! 

If you save one person from starting the potential of killing themselves from tobacco, it is all worth it. Just one. And any more are icing on the cake. I hope this builds momentum and you find a way to get your word to go "viral". How about a ACS sponsored PSA? We can all say, "Hey, well know that dude on the ad!"

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Bill

bill, i know they have used

bill, i know they have used your videos on ww, that is where i first learned about them.  I read the comments of thanks from the two who used them to get the test.  you are great for taking time to care so much for others and I hope you know you are appreciated!

dj

• wmc
    Options

bill, i know they have used

bill, i know they have used your videos on ww, that is where i first learned about them.  I read the comments of thanks from the two who used them to get the test.  you are great for taking time to care so much for others and I hope you know you are appreciated!

dj

What a great day, after I found the correct school

They gave me the name of the Charter school and is was the wrong one. However I was early and was able to change and get to the correct school in time. It was the high school and around 35 - 40 kids. I will say it went much better than I thought it would. Most of the kids have never seen a neck breather in real life, let alone up close and talking to them. I was told afterwards that they were very attentive and didn't talk amoung themselves as they normally do. They were very courteous and really seemed to listen and hear what I was saying. I asked if there were any questions and only a few had any. As I was speaking at times you could see some of the kids look down like it got to them. I hope it did. They want me to do it again at another High School next month. I should get some feed back in a few weeks. The School board seemed very happy with my talk and want me to continue, and so do I. 

Bill

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

They gave me the name of the Charter school and is was the wrong one. However I was early and was able to change and get to the correct school in time. It was the high school and around 35 - 40 kids. I will say it went much better than I thought it would. Most of the kids have never seen a neck breather in real life, let alone up close and talking to them. I was told afterwards that they were very attentive and didn't talk amoung themselves as they normally do. They were very courteous and really seemed to listen and hear what I was saying. I asked if there were any questions and only a few had any. As I was speaking at times you could see some of the kids look down like it got to them. I hope it did. They want me to do it again at another High School next month. I should get some feed back in a few weeks. The School board seemed very happy with my talk and want me to continue, and so do I. 

Bill

Bill

Sounds like you got their attention and made an impression, good for you! What a wonderful contributuion you are making.

God bless,

Candi

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Bill

Hi Bill

Man that is really great, you may never know if just one of them hears what you are saying and takes it to heart to never smoke it is a life that you saved. A few months ago I was leaving work early feeling bad and on my way out there at the door was some workers; they were not older than 20 years old. I stopped and asked if they would like to be like I am and all they could do was to look, and I said keep smoking and you will be just like me someday. We can’t force people to not smoke but we can make sure that they know and understand the dangers of smoking.

Great Job

Tim

• wmc
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Bill

Man that is really great, you may never know if just one of them hears what you are saying and takes it to heart to never smoke it is a life that you saved. A few months ago I was leaving work early feeling bad and on my way out there at the door was some workers; they were not older than 20 years old. I stopped and asked if they would like to be like I am and all they could do was to look, and I said keep smoking and you will be just like me someday. We can’t force people to not smoke but we can make sure that they know and understand the dangers of smoking.

Great Job

Tim

Thanks Tim

I do have a slite advantage on shock value by being a neck breather. You should have seen them when I brought out a baby nipple with a 7/16" hose that is 10" long and said this is how most Laryngectomee's blow their nose. You put the baby nipple over your stoma and the hose in your mouth, so when you exhale it goes out the tube and into your mouth then out your nose. You could have heard a pen drop. I put it in words they would understand and remember. I asked, how many like to go to the mountains? We live right below Sequoia National Parks, so many raised their hands. I said you can't go unless you take an oxgen bottle with you, and you can't fly either unless you take oxygen, and forget ever walking on the beach, the soft sand has to much resistance without oxygen too. I said, I beat cancer, I just can't beat emphysema and will most likely never see my grandkids graduate from highschool. I was very blunt and just told it how it really is for me. I just hope I got through one or two.

Bill

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Thanks Tim

I do have a slite advantage on shock value by being a neck breather. You should have seen them when I brought out a baby nipple with a 7/16" hose that is 10" long and said this is how most Laryngectomee's blow their nose. You put the baby nipple over your stoma and the hose in your mouth, so when you exhale it goes out the tube and into your mouth then out your nose. You could have heard a pen drop. I put it in words they would understand and remember. I asked, how many like to go to the mountains? We live right below Sequoia National Parks, so many raised their hands. I said you can't go unless you take an oxgen bottle with you, and you can't fly either unless you take oxygen, and forget ever walking on the beach, the soft sand has to much resistance without oxygen too. I said, I beat cancer, I just can't beat emphysema and will most likely never see my grandkids graduate from highschool. I was very blunt and just told it how it really is for me. I just hope I got through one or two.

Bill

The First of Many

Bill, I hope this is the first of many presentations you will give. It sounds like you made an impression. Hopefully if a student is offered a cigarette, he or she will remember you and say no and those who are smokers will quit. Even though I didn't smoke, my son quit because he saw firsthand what this disease can do and he knew his chance of getting it was higher if he continued. Nagging doesn't work and kids ignore public service announcements, but let them see a real person with a real story, and they'll listen. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with them. Beth

• wmc
    Options
    MrsBD said:

The First of Many

Bill, I hope this is the first of many presentations you will give. It sounds like you made an impression. Hopefully if a student is offered a cigarette, he or she will remember you and say no and those who are smokers will quit. Even though I didn't smoke, my son quit because he saw firsthand what this disease can do and he knew his chance of getting it was higher if he continued. Nagging doesn't work and kids ignore public service announcements, but let them see a real person with a real story, and they'll listen. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with them. Beth

Tell your son i'm proud of him............

I know how hard it is to quit, and for your son to, takes a strong person. I tried many times over 42 years. I have to treat it like an alcoholic, you just can't ever have the next one. This time I never had a problem and it doesn't bother me to be around someone smoking. I have to keep away from the smoke as it will hurt me, but I have no craving to have one. Sorry it took cancer for me to quit, but I still got a second chance and very glad I did. Thank you Beth.

Bill