Kadcycla

Options

Hello everyone. I had posted back in 2013 when my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 Breast cancer after many years of  remission. It's been a time of ups and downs. Her cancer is Her 2 and ER +. She did well initially om Herceptin and Faslodex but then hormonal rx seemed to kick in. Markers going up and so different classes of estrogen blockers were used but no luck. She just remains on Tamoxifen. In October had Perjeta added to Herceptin. Didn't really respond and now PET shows a large surge in bone mets ( they were already extensive in 2013) and a large pleural effusion the once says is from the large rib met rubbing against the lining of her lung. Now he wants to go to Kadcycla. She won't take the taxane drugs ( she has issue with hair) Though that would probably give her best response. She seems like she doesn't want to fight it anymore. We are trwating depression and are cheering her on realizing no matter what it's up to her. 

To everyone here who has used or is currently on Kadcycla have you tolerated it well? Did you get a big response? If so, how long till you felt better? She's losing weight, poor appetite but that truly seems to have started when Perjeta started. 

The oncologists tell me they are optimistic and there are more options. I'm scared they are not leveling with me. Any advice about Kadcycla versus taking taxol treatments ( they proposed taxol two weeks in row then off a week then cycle again) And responses?

Could she go to NED or close to it if her disease is in so many bones and now an effusion?

Comments

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I have not...

Very sorry to hear about your Mother being Stage 4 .... I have not had any of the drugs you mention because I am Triple Negative and can't use any of them.  Stage 4 is not curable but many people are maintaining viable lives because of the many drugs available.  Sending you Prayers for Strength and Courage in facing this terrible disease with your Mom.  I am sure that the Oncologists are telling you the truth....they almost always do ,but we just have trouble facing a terrible reality.  Hugs for you both.  Glo

• Gottahavefaith
    Gottahavefaith Member Posts: 24
    Options
    GlowMore said:

I have not...

Very sorry to hear about your Mother being Stage 4 .... I have not had any of the drugs you mention because I am Triple Negative and can't use any of them.  Stage 4 is not curable but many people are maintaining viable lives because of the many drugs available.  Sending you Prayers for Strength and Courage in facing this terrible disease with your Mom.  I am sure that the Oncologists are telling you the truth....they almost always do ,but we just have trouble facing a terrible reality.  Hugs for you both.  Glo

Thank You!

The words of encouragement mean a lot to me. We are going to see another oncologist for opinion at the University. Hoping maybe we can come up with a regimen that will work.

I realize TDM1 is kinda new but thought maybe some of the ladies here with Stage 4 May have tried it with success. 

I wonder if anyone here has tried Taxol weekly versus the monthly regimen. I've read it's easier to deal with side effects. But, what you read is not always how it goes in the real world. 

• MaggieCat
    MaggieCat Member Posts: 54
    Options

Thank You!

The words of encouragement mean a lot to me. We are going to see another oncologist for opinion at the University. Hoping maybe we can come up with a regimen that will work.

I realize TDM1 is kinda new but thought maybe some of the ladies here with Stage 4 May have tried it with success. 

I wonder if anyone here has tried Taxol weekly versus the monthly regimen. I've read it's easier to deal with side effects. But, what you read is not always how it goes in the real world. 

A Place to Look - T-DM1 users

Consider taking a look at the Breast Cancer dot org site    Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Who's on Kadcyla/TDM1?

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Thank You!

Stage 4...

We have a lot of gals on here dealing with Stage 4 and they are the most positive women I have seen.  I'm surprised that they have not answered your post...maybe you need to post again under a new Title instead of the word   Kadcycla...........  Maybe if you call it...Need Stage 4 Advice or something like that then they will share with you.     They wanted me to take Taxol way back in 2002 but I opted for FAC  instead.    I'm still here and Stage 3 but I have a mental block sometimes about the a/b/c part........(either that or it is old age... and I'm a 13 year Survivor from Diagnosis and 12 Year Survivor from end of Treatment)..........Prayers for you and your Mother.