BRCA testing

pandagypsy
pandagypsy Member Posts: 113

I had the BRCA testing done and just received a call from my oncologist that I am positive.  My family history at first unknown, I had breast cancer in 1983 (age 28) and again in 1985. That is when I learned my maternal grandmother died at an early age from breast cancer, and my mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer at that time; she died a few years later from bone cancer .  All of my doctors were aware of my family history, and my follow ups focused on mammograms, liver scans and bone scans. I was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer in 2009. 6 months chemo, surgery, 6 more months of chemo.  Free and clear until May 2014.....chemo June thru Oct.  NED!  Now, the Dr. wants to talk to me about the PARP inhibitors. I've done some reading on  Lynparza......does anyone have any experience with this?  Is this given when another reoccurance happens, or as a maintenance? 

I would like to find out as much as I can before I meet with the Dr.  KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!  Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Veranos
    Veranos Member Posts: 18
    I am BRCA2 positive, and I

I am BRCA2 positive, and I took Olaparib, the same drug, on a clinical trial.  It kept my disease stable for 2 years.  I had carbo and taxol, several months of NED, then a mild recurrence, then Olaparib.

• pandagypsy
    Veranos said:

I am BRCA2 positive, and I

I am BRCA2 positive, and I took Olaparib, the same drug, on a clinical trial.  It kept my disease stable for 2 years.  I had carbo and taxol, several months of NED, then a mild recurrence, then Olaparib.

Is olaparib available as a generic?

I know that Astrazenica has a brand name of this drug that was just approved Dec. 2014.  I have a Medicare Advantage insurance plan and inquired about my cost for this drug.  Without knowing exactly what my dosage would be, all I found out is that it is a Tier 5 drug, brand new, and my cost would be 33%.....most probably costing me hundreds, if not thousands of $$$$$$$ Surprised  What type of side effects did yoou experience with Olaparib, compared to carbo & taxol?

• Veranos
    Veranos Member Posts: 18

Is olaparib available as a generic?

I know that Astrazenica has a brand name of this drug that was just approved Dec. 2014.  I have a Medicare Advantage insurance plan and inquired about my cost for this drug.  Without knowing exactly what my dosage would be, all I found out is that it is a Tier 5 drug, brand new, and my cost would be 33%.....most probably costing me hundreds, if not thousands of $$$$$$$ Surprised  What type of side effects did yoou experience with Olaparib, compared to carbo & taxol?

The side effects were

The side effects were minimal:  some hair thinning, some fatigue, slight nausea.  But I tolerated it very well.

• pandagypsy
    Veranos said:

The side effects were

The side effects were minimal:  some hair thinning, some fatigue, slight nausea.  But I tolerated it very well.

Thanks Verona............I

Thanks Verona............I will see what my onc. says.  I appreciate "real life" experiences!