2»

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    NewHere said:

Some Issues On Using Cold?

Again, and I was replying in the other thread

I was looking into this after it was mentioned here as a way to avoid the neuropathy and other issues.  My initial reaction was "cool" (no pun intended) but then if the ice water keeps it away from areas, is that defeating the purpose?  (I was thinking if I swallow the cold water, would it stop chemo from getting to places where I need it, though I am guessing it would be warm enough by the time it hit my digestive track.)

I bought the general concept up, but was told are questions as to whether this reduces the effectiveness of chemo.  Particularly I was told there was indication that brain mets looked to be more prevalent in breast cancer patients who used the head cooler. The general recommendation was that better safe than sorry until more studies come in.  Who knows, could be dependent on the cancer.  It seems we would tend more to lungs and liver from things said here and the risk of mets for us in the areas that are kept cold is relatively low, more so when compared to the risk of permanant neuropathay.

I have not really gone into a great deal of research and the conversation I had was brief, but figured I would put that out there. 

Actually cold caps

Are and have been used in Europe and so far I haven't seen anything NOT recommending it, they have had it for some time.

I just am going by my oncologist's recommendation, feel free to check with your own, although I haven't heard of hand and feet cancer and since I have colocteral cancer and not throat cancer, I'm not worried about the cancer going any of those places.  It simply keeps the chemo away from there.  

Personally I rather have the chemo only going to my mets and not messing with the rest of my body, but we don't have that option yet, with the exception of the cold.  But at least I can keep my hands well and my ability to enjoy ice cream and ice water.  Life is good.

As I said this is what I have done to enjoy life better at my oncologists recommendation for the hands and feet, and if you check internet you can even buy the cold hand and feet gloves in order to keep the chemo away, if you chose.  I discovered the drinking ice water by myself.

Winter Marie

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

Actually cold caps

Are and have been used in Europe and so far I haven't seen anything NOT recommending it, they have had it for some time.

I just am going by my oncologist's recommendation, feel free to check with your own, although I haven't heard of hand and feet cancer and since I have colocteral cancer and not throat cancer, I'm not worried about the cancer going any of those places.  It simply keeps the chemo away from there.  

Personally I rather have the chemo only going to my mets and not messing with the rest of my body, but we don't have that option yet, with the exception of the cold.  But at least I can keep my hands well and my ability to enjoy ice cream and ice water.  Life is good.

As I said this is what I have done to enjoy life better at my oncologists recommendation for the hands and feet, and if you check internet you can even buy the cold hand and feet gloves in order to keep the chemo away, if you chose.  I discovered the drinking ice water by myself.

Winter Marie

May Give It A Try

Europe is ahead in many things...

Like most of these things, they probably will figure it out later for us Cool   I may stay away from the head thing (had a friend pass away from that, from a met), but I am generally thinking the same thing about lower risk on some spots.  The neuropathy is the big one for me in my mind.  I had surgery in the past which messed with sense of taste for about 6 months with some similar effects, so thinking I can get by.  (Maybe, probably will be telling you by third session I am drinking ice water.)

• Habakkuk3verse1
    Habakkuk3verse1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

After 5 years of chemo and three rounds of Oxiplatinum

I have done experimentations.  The greatest experiment that has worked for me was drinking ice water and holding on to two small iced water bottles as long as I could stand the cold in my hands.

Drinking ice water before, during and after infusion has allowed me to continue drinking ice water all day everyday including day of chemo day after etc., before I had to actually warm up room temperature water in order not to feel that ice shards feeling in my throat when drinking.  I began to hate hot apple cider, cocoa, tea and coffee because all I wanted was a cold drink and was denied it.  It first was five days before I could drink something cold, then it extended to ten miserable days.

Then this time, I thought about what my oncologist had told me, that chemo hates the cold and if I could keep my hands and feet in ice water during the chemo, I wouldn't have the neuropathy that goes hand in hand with the Oxi.  I looked on the net and they do sell hand and feet gloves that do this, keep your hands cold, and in another oncology unit (I forget what country) they now have a cold hat system that keeps the chemo away from your head and stops the hair loss.  So, I thought to myself if wearing cold stuff keeps the Oxi away from the cold area, would drinking ice water keep it from my throat.  And while I was scared to try it, it was a darn miracle to me.  I drink it all the way through infusion with no troubles, but you have to keep drinking every few minutes, to keep the throat cold I order for it to work.

I hold the two small iced water bottles as long as I can in my hands, this has allowed me to hold cold things, like cold yogurt etc., (which is another nice thing about drinking the ice water effect, is I can eat cold things and ice cream without worry or waiting) I still get the tingling and nueropothy because I waited to try the ice cold water bottles because well, they are so darn cold to hold!  But at least I can hold on to cold things and reach in my refrigerator and get what I want.  And it's nice to be able to eat cold cereal with cold milk without the worry of feeling ice schards.

http://youtu.be/G7d6WYI0Hd0

That is my YouTube of how I drink the ice water

Words of encouragement.

Hello. I read your innovative solution with ice-water. Congratulations on that. I have a sibling that I am soliciting help for. He has recently been diagnosed with an advanced stage of Colon cancer. Iam hoping it is permissible to ask Forum members who may be wiling, to contact him at the Hospice unit where he is and to let him know that people do survive cancer, with The LORD's mercy. Thanks Herdizziness.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Words of encouragement.

Hello. I read your innovative solution with ice-water. Congratulations on that. I have a sibling that I am soliciting help for. He has recently been diagnosed with an advanced stage of Colon cancer. Iam hoping it is permissible to ask Forum members who may be wiling, to contact him at the Hospice unit where he is and to let him know that people do survive cancer, with The LORD's mercy. Thanks Herdizziness.

Welcome.

I am so sorry to hear about your sibling. 

May I suggest that you open up a brand new thread with your request, and that way any replies will be directed to you and not as a part of someone elses thread. 

Sue - Trubrit