This can't be menopause...right?

hi all,

i was diagnosed with stage IV OC in December and since I may have had one period that was ultra short. My body has tried to have one a couple of times with no luck.  I'm having mood swings and the last three days I've felt like crying a lot for no apparent reason. I have also been waking up at night covered in sweat. I need to call my doc to make sure this is normal. Otherwise the chemo is going well and I'm scheduled to have surgery on March 17th.  Did/does anyone have experiences like this?

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Welcome to CSN, Kickin-it

Sorry about your diagnosis. Most likely chemo has triggered temporary menopause, which will become permanent once you have your ovaries removed in March. Night sweats, hot flashes, vaginal dryness are common symptoms of menopause. Don't know about crying, but with everything going on, you have plenty of reasons to be emotional. In my case (44 y.o. pre-menopausal at dx), my periods stopped after the 3rd round of front-line chemo. I have been on oral (Premarin) and vaginal (Vagifem) HRT since my hysterectomy 2.5 years ago, which eliminated menopausal symptoms. For those scared of estrogen there are natural ways to manage menopause.

Good luck and best wises in your treatment,

Alexandra

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Night Sweats

I was in menopause for 10 years before I was diagnosed with stage IV uterine papillary serous carcinoma.  I had mets to both ovaries, the omentum, and the ilium.  At first my gyn/onc thought I had ovarian cancer, but the tumor board at the hospital proclaimed it uterine cancer.  For almost two years before my diagnosis, I had bad night sweats.  My family physician and OB/GYN thought they were from menopause, but they didn't start until 8 years after menopause started.  I think they were caused by the cancer.  The other symptoms you have do sound like menopausal symptoms.

• yamster34
    yamster34 Member Posts: 75
    I have not had my period

I have not had my period since a week after being diagnosed more than 6 months ago. I am having hot flashes horribly. I have not had any tratment or had my ovaries removed and I am 44 years old, so most people would say I am too young to go through it. I have heard of other women going through menopause because of cancer though. It is possible that you are going through it too!

• khsherwood
    khsherwood Member Posts: 33 Member
    Night sweats

Hi everyone,

Since  Kickin-it brought it up I too have been suffering with terrible night sweats. I went through natural menopause ten years ago when I was fifty one. It was hot flashes that were actually sort of funny. I was throwing open windows in mid -winter to cool down  and always asking people "is it hot in here or is it just me?". Now, ten years later, I am drenched in cold sweats almost every night. I need to change my pajamas and often pillowcases several times a night. I kept complaining to my doctor about it. I think they think this a minor complaint compared to the fact I have Stage 3C ovarian cancer. I had a  total hysterectomy as part of my debuliking surgery last October. They say that removing my ovaries put me through a second menopause. Two weeks ago I was put on Paxil, an anti-depressant, to help with the night sweats (?). I can't take hormones because I am also a breast cancer survivor. The Paxil has done nothing for me. Also, and this may seem minor to most of you, you can't drink alcohol while on Paxil. I haven't had a drink since I was diagnosed last October because  alcohol is dehydrating.  I usually don't drink very much, one to three glasses of wine a week but since today is my last treatment I was looking forward to having a glass of champagne with my husband to celebrate. Guess that's not happening.

So, what I want to know is if anyone else has experienced these drenching cold sweats and what did they do about them, besides taking hormones? 

thanks, Kelly

• zenmama
    zenmama Member Posts: 29

Night sweats

Hi everyone,

Since  Kickin-it brought it up I too have been suffering with terrible night sweats. I went through natural menopause ten years ago when I was fifty one. It was hot flashes that were actually sort of funny. I was throwing open windows in mid -winter to cool down  and always asking people "is it hot in here or is it just me?". Now, ten years later, I am drenched in cold sweats almost every night. I need to change my pajamas and often pillowcases several times a night. I kept complaining to my doctor about it. I think they think this a minor complaint compared to the fact I have Stage 3C ovarian cancer. I had a  total hysterectomy as part of my debuliking surgery last October. They say that removing my ovaries put me through a second menopause. Two weeks ago I was put on Paxil, an anti-depressant, to help with the night sweats (?). I can't take hormones because I am also a breast cancer survivor. The Paxil has done nothing for me. Also, and this may seem minor to most of you, you can't drink alcohol while on Paxil. I haven't had a drink since I was diagnosed last October because  alcohol is dehydrating.  I usually don't drink very much, one to three glasses of wine a week but since today is my last treatment I was looking forward to having a glass of champagne with my husband to celebrate. Guess that's not happening.

So, what I want to know is if anyone else has experienced these drenching cold sweats and what did they do about them, besides taking hormones? 

thanks, Kelly

Night sweats

Kelly, I took two things which seemed to make a big difference to the post-hysterectomy night-sweats.  First was the anti-depressant Zoloft, prescribed by the gyn-oncologist. And my gyn also suggested Evening Primrose Oil capsules which I also took.  The problem was solved.  

I have found also though that I get night sweats for a couple of nights after treatment?  I end up in an ongoing fight with the covers...on, off, on, off, mop off, etc....

All the best, wishing you relief.

• yamster34
    I forgot to mention the hot

I forgot to mention the hot and cold flashes. I too ask, "is it hot in here or is it me?" I drive my husband nuts by turning on the furnace one minute and air cinditioner the next. Doctors I had seen at the time treated me like it was all in my head because the problems started when I was 38 years old. So I stopped seeing doctors even though I knew it was probably more serious than the doctors seemed to think. Which is why, when I finally saw an ER doctor, I was diagnosed with stage 4 terminal cancer. I am not complaining though, because I have seen many good things happen since I was diagnosed! I kept praying that I would go through menopause. I had no idea that prayer would be answered by a terminal cancer diagnosis. I am happy that prayer was answered though!

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    yamster34 said:

I forgot to mention the hot

I forgot to mention the hot and cold flashes. I too ask, "is it hot in here or is it me?" I drive my husband nuts by turning on the furnace one minute and air cinditioner the next. Doctors I had seen at the time treated me like it was all in my head because the problems started when I was 38 years old. So I stopped seeing doctors even though I knew it was probably more serious than the doctors seemed to think. Which is why, when I finally saw an ER doctor, I was diagnosed with stage 4 terminal cancer. I am not complaining though, because I have seen many good things happen since I was diagnosed! I kept praying that I would go through menopause. I had no idea that prayer would be answered by a terminal cancer diagnosis. I am happy that prayer was answered though!

Oh, yamster, I wish this was not happening to you !

You are so young, and to my 62-year-old mind it is a darn shame that you are here posting your experiences. Sadly, cancer touches the lives of the very young to the very old , to the very weak to the very strong and to the very rich to the very poor . One out of 3 women today will get cancer and one out of two men.  Also, cancer is on the rise. There are woman with stage 4 ovarian, primary peritoneal and uterine papillary serous carcinoma (all 3 are very similar) and they are thriving without disease. Keep your faith and your sense of humor, as borh will help you cope and will likely extend your life for many, many years. I have uterine papillary serous cancer with a 50/50 chance of a recurrence.So far I have survived close to 1.5 years post op and doing well. You can do just as well, yamster! I am counting on it!!

Hugs to you,

Cathy 

• yamster34
    Thank you for your concern!

Thank you for your concern! This is what God used to show me how much He loves me! I have seen around 30 answered prayers in this one diagnosis. I love the Lord and trust Him more because of it! This is what was needed to make me listen. I can be pretty stubborn at times and it tends to take some pretty extreme things to get my attention. I was at NIU during the shooting on 2/14/08. Somebody thought the gunman was in the building with us. Thankfully he was not, but that was a traumatic experience for everyone that was there that day. That was another defining moment in my life. I am a better and stronger person for all of the struggles I have been through. God put it on my heart to write Christian books. The first one has been written talking about many of my experiences up to this point, as well as the trials of others. I am in the process of writting the second book, which talks about my experience with cancer. If anyone is interested in including how God has used their experience with cancer to bring them blessings or miracle,  they can be included in the book. I am just giving out books, so nobody would get paid. It is nice to give people hope that they too can survive. I do send a free copy of the book to anyone that includes their testimony.