Going flat after BMX

Options
2»

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Flat and happy

Hello!  After a double mastectomy and thinking what was best, I decided not to get any reconstruction and have been really happy.  Often I just dress as I am to go out and I really don't feel funny or get any looks, in fact I feel good.  I do have a few bras with forms and wear these when I want.  I am pretty slender.  It just feels so good.  I think it just takes some time to get used to it.  It is especially great to walk, jog, etc. with nothing extra on.  

Welcome, AustinGirl

Welcome, AustinGirl, to the board, and to our GoFlat Club!

I'm now 4 months out from my surgery, back to work and all my normal activities -- and I have to say, I still LOVE not having to wear a bra!  I still haven't asked my doctor for a prescription for a prosthetic, and haven't really had any urge to try one out.

Especially now, as we're starting to get hot weather -- I just throw on a shirt, and go, so much cooler!  I still really don't care about being flat-chested, but I do occasionally get a little down about how big my belly looks now, when I catch a look in the mirror.  

But I just tell myself that this is how my body is shaped now, and I definitely believe that my comfort and my health are more important than a little odd shape here and there!  I also remind myself that lots of people in this world have had to have arms or legs amputated, and they can't hide it -- why should I try to hide my surgery, if I don't want to?

My annual mammograms after treatment were always in April, and going through the month of April this year without that paralyzing anxiety really reminded me that I did the right thing.  

Traci

• alabama_survivor
    alabama_survivor Member Posts: 85
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, AustinGirl

Welcome, AustinGirl, to the board, and to our GoFlat Club!

I'm now 4 months out from my surgery, back to work and all my normal activities -- and I have to say, I still LOVE not having to wear a bra!  I still haven't asked my doctor for a prescription for a prosthetic, and haven't really had any urge to try one out.

Especially now, as we're starting to get hot weather -- I just throw on a shirt, and go, so much cooler!  I still really don't care about being flat-chested, but I do occasionally get a little down about how big my belly looks now, when I catch a look in the mirror.  

But I just tell myself that this is how my body is shaped now, and I definitely believe that my comfort and my health are more important than a little odd shape here and there!  I also remind myself that lots of people in this world have had to have arms or legs amputated, and they can't hide it -- why should I try to hide my surgery, if I don't want to?

My annual mammograms after treatment were always in April, and going through the month of April this year without that paralyzing anxiety really reminded me that I did the right thing.  

Traci

I feel like a fraud, since I

I feel like a fraud, since I started this thread.  After going flat the last few months, I did get a prescription for prostheses which I got today.  I stuck with my natural size, and I must say that it's nice feeling like myself again.  The forms are very comfortable, but the bras are rubbing me a bit in some places I didn't even realize were still tender.  I'm hoping I just need to get used them again.  Traci, I also have a large belly, and I like the fact that the forms balance me out a little bit.  I would like to wear them all the time, but I really don't know if I will.

I know I've said on some other threads that I had some lung nodules that they are keeping an eye on.  Both the surgeon and oncologist believe that my cancer has spread, but the nodules are still too small to biopsy.  These nodules were there from the beginning, disappeared following chemo, and are now slightly larger than they were to begin with.  So I will be having a PET scan in a few weeks.  If they are still there, we hope to give them time to grow big enough to biopsy.  So I may end up having more treatment in the fall.  That's totally OT, but I definitely will want to both look good and be comfortable.

• kjana
    kjana Member Posts: 30
    Options
    i am flat with a large gut,

i am flat with a large gut, have been since last summer, no breast forms (i had one when i had only one breast ampuated). i will domrecon but am not 100% sure

• kjana
    kjana Member Posts: 30
    Options

I feel like a fraud, since I

I feel like a fraud, since I started this thread.  After going flat the last few months, I did get a prescription for prostheses which I got today.  I stuck with my natural size, and I must say that it's nice feeling like myself again.  The forms are very comfortable, but the bras are rubbing me a bit in some places I didn't even realize were still tender.  I'm hoping I just need to get used them again.  Traci, I also have a large belly, and I like the fact that the forms balance me out a little bit.  I would like to wear them all the time, but I really don't know if I will.

I know I've said on some other threads that I had some lung nodules that they are keeping an eye on.  Both the surgeon and oncologist believe that my cancer has spread, but the nodules are still too small to biopsy.  These nodules were there from the beginning, disappeared following chemo, and are now slightly larger than they were to begin with.  So I will be having a PET scan in a few weeks.  If they are still there, we hope to give them time to grow big enough to biopsy.  So I may end up having more treatment in the fall.  That's totally OT, but I definitely will want to both look good and be comfortable.

no worrie,s i believe

no worrie,s i believe changing your opinion on this is totally ok

• J-Bird
    J-Bird Member Posts: 5
    Options
    getting used to it

Hi ladies.  I had BMX on June 18 of this year.  I did not do reconstruction and I'm not sure that I will.  I also find it very liberating to not have to wear a bra, and like someone else mentioned, no one cares.  I'm still self concious when I leave the house, but really I don't think anyone notices at all.  People stared at me way more before because I was a 32G.  So it's taking me some time to get used to, but I don't really think I look like a freak or anything.  And it's nice to be able to wear strappy sundresses and tiny tank tops.

It's also really nice to read all of you stories and know that I'm not alone.

Edited to add:  I don't even have breast forms.  I only met with the fitter long enough for her to give me a camisole with drain bulb pockets before I was discharged after my surgery.  I have a friend who is having someone make some knitted knockers for me (knittedknockers.org) but for now I just leave the house as is.

• coral2015
    coral2015 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Going Flat too :)

I had surgery last week, I didnt know that sooo many people was opting for no reconstruction. For me was a matter of bad timing, i have a 5yo and he is going to start school this fall; plus I've been on this journey for so long I just wanted to feel myself again. I am overweight, so i did too notice my belly after surgery, i was like "hey i didnt know you were there" LOL. It is hard right now for me to see myself at the mirror, but i dont regret it. I feel like I have this new energy, I started eating healthier a few weeks before surgery, loss some pounds and I'm waiting to be ready and start a work out rutine. I would love to hear more from you ladies, and how are you adjusting; Im reading your comments and just feel reassure about my decision.