Neo-bladder reconstruction surgery

Options
ruddone
ruddone Member Posts: 1

My husband was recently diagnosed with high grade stage 2 bladder cancer.  The tumor was too large to completely remove during a TUR procedue and he will be having a radical cystectomy with a neo bladder reconstruction in March.  Has anyone had this procedure done?  He is still very weak from being treated for renal failure caused by the cancer blocking his ureters.  I understand the patients are not able to eat for some time after the surgery due to the intestines not functioning properly after surgery.  I have read that an ng tube will be placed that will pump stomach contents out to help with nausea while a TPN line will deliver nutrients intravaneously until he can begin processing liquids/foods again.  Very scared and hoping someone can give me more information.

Comments

• donaldcdurand
    donaldcdurand Member Posts: 6
    Options
    what can I do to help?

My first time on this site. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer Dec. 2011, had several TURBT, had BCG, it got worse. High Grade, had chemo last three months of 2013, and had Neobladder surgery at University of Iowa Feb 2014. I just started a new business last month! Some of the things you mentioned in your post are things I can't speak to. My procedure took about 14 hours of surgery, and I had 4 tubes coming out of my belly plus a foley cath. But I was eating regular food in a few days and had no problems. Pooping was difficult, but that was because of the pain meds. Was in the hospital for a week. Three tubes came out before I went home. I was slow going for weeks. I walked everyday and seems like my wife made alot of scrambled eggs! I lost 30 to 40 pounds, sorry to say most is back. I'm 57, 6'1'' and 230lbs. So tell me more, I will do what ever I can to help you. I was stage 3 after chemo and stage 4 just a few weeks later when they did the surgery. I'm doing good today.

• Jebson
    Jebson Member Posts: 1
    Options

what can I do to help?

My first time on this site. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer Dec. 2011, had several TURBT, had BCG, it got worse. High Grade, had chemo last three months of 2013, and had Neobladder surgery at University of Iowa Feb 2014. I just started a new business last month! Some of the things you mentioned in your post are things I can't speak to. My procedure took about 14 hours of surgery, and I had 4 tubes coming out of my belly plus a foley cath. But I was eating regular food in a few days and had no problems. Pooping was difficult, but that was because of the pain meds. Was in the hospital for a week. Three tubes came out before I went home. I was slow going for weeks. I walked everyday and seems like my wife made alot of scrambled eggs! I lost 30 to 40 pounds, sorry to say most is back. I'm 57, 6'1'' and 230lbs. So tell me more, I will do what ever I can to help you. I was stage 3 after chemo and stage 4 just a few weeks later when they did the surgery. I'm doing good today.

Treatment Options?? - Bladder cancer

I am an 80 year old male-just diagnosed with bladder cancer.  Have so far been given two treatment options.  One Chemo and Radiation for 5-6 weeks.  Other chemo and surgery to remove bladder and replace with part of intestine.  Attempting to make a decision on what might be best for me.  Would appreciate any and all information anyone can provide who has been through either procedure.  Currently on information overload but also feel do not yet have all the information we need.  Help please!

• weatherthestorm62
    weatherthestorm62 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    neo bladder info

Looking for help also on this subject of neo bladder for my brother who is scared on which surgery to have(bag or neo),kinda lost on this page,but any information is much appreciated.