chemo andconstipation

I had a mastectomy and have had my second chemo treatment (Cytoxan, Methotrexate and 5-FU.). Have taken very little nausea meds,but having a difficult  time with constipation.  Senna Tabs and Polyethylenne Glycol aren't working for me.  Does anyone have any suggesstions.  Many thanks, Mary

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    i to had mannnnnny issues with constipation during my

chemo therapy ==  offered many over the counter tables by my Oncologist - NOTHING helped me ..

here is a recipe posted by our PA - Cypress Cythnia ...

For all of us suffering with constipation from pain meds, nausea meds, etc. etc.  Here is the MB's Famous Power Pudding!!!!

2 cups pitted prunes
    1 cup applesauce
    1 cup Bran Cereal
    enough prune juice to make pudding consistency

Blend it in a blender and eat 1 cup in the morning and 1 in the evening for a couple of days, or until it works. It's food so you can't over dose, but I don't recommend you go out the first day or so you start eating it. ;-)

Good Luck --  and I do, mean it

Vicki Sam 

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Had the same issue

My onc's office suggested that I take MIRALAX. I still take it because of hemroids that I developed during chemo (sorry if this is TMI). In fact, I also take a morning and evening dose of Metamucil. This way, if I don't eat enough salad or eat meat I don't have constipation.

Good luck!

JoAnn

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    joannstar said:

Had the same issue

My onc's office suggested that I take MIRALAX. I still take it because of hemroids that I developed during chemo (sorry if this is TMI). In fact, I also take a morning and evening dose of Metamucil. This way, if I don't eat enough salad or eat meat I don't have constipation.

Good luck!

JoAnn

I had the same problems are you a coffee drinker?

Hi Mary,

I know how frustrating and painful this is. I had good luck with dried prunes and a lot of coffee. I hope this will help. Surf

• morgamed
    morgamed Member Posts: 75

I had the same problems are you a coffee drinker?

Hi Mary,

I know how frustrating and painful this is. I had good luck with dried prunes and a lot of coffee. I hope this will help. Surf

Dinomite

I thought I would die.  Matter of fact I had an ambulance ride at 2am two weeks after my double mastectomy for this reason.  I never in all my life had that kind of pain.  I sure do feel for you.   What worked for me was first un locking the dam.  Enema then I took two laxative pills each morning with my coffee.  I made sure I ate corn each day and popcorn for a snack each night.  For me that did the trick.   Pain meds will shut everything down and give you a homer simpson belly.   Heads up and don't let it go to long without talking to your dr.