Options
2»

Comments

• sflgirl
    sflgirl Member Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    John212 said:

Keeping track

I started a spread sheet to track my side effects, diet, and daily temperature readings as soon as I began chemo. This kept me up to date on such things as my appetite, fluctuations in temperature - I did develop a couple of fevers that we had to monitor - and side effects. Because I set up the spreadsheet as a Google doc, I was able to easily access it on my iPad whenever I visited my onc. I would then use the iPad to watch a movie during treatments. 

Good idea, thanks, I will do

Good idea, thanks, I will do that. 

• RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Cold

Not sure where you are located, but it is winter and folfox can leave you extremely sensitive to the cold. It may not even affect you until you have had a few infusions. Skeets is right - be prepared. Layers and lots of warmth, even if you think you don't need them.  A scarf to breath through May help. Even cool made me hate breathing. 

That being said. It is manageable. Just be prepared. 

Peace and and best wishes 

rick

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    sflgirl said:

Hi Jen,
    Thanks, I like the

Hi Jen,

Thanks, I like the idea of the weekends for the pump, sounds easier to manage all around. 

Do you think I need someone to go with me?  I was hoping to handle it without imposing on someone else.  I'm single, have been for a long time, and generally just handle my own stuff.  The hospital is about a 45 minute ride from my house, hopefully I will be able to drive home.

I do have a friend going with me for the port install today since they are putting me out a little (similar to a colonoscopy).  But I was hoping to handle the chemo on my own.

I guess I need to wait and see how I react to it......

Thanks,

Andrea

You can probably handle it on your own

my husband insists on coming with me to chemo, while I prefer him to be home, but for some damn reason he feels obligated to show up.  I drive to and from chemo.  I arrived at 10:30 today, got called back within ten minutes, had blood pressure and temp taken, got blood drawn from port (have had mine for 5 years love it!!) hooked up to saline, got steroids etc., within first few minutes there, then onto the chemo's, 4 different ones at oncology unit and one to take home for two days. As for the take home chemo it comes with a fanny pack which I usually throw over my shoulder like a handbag, or sometimes as a actual fanny pack, when I get home I just toss it off to the side. When I go to bed I toss it on my side dresser and  the tubing under my pillow so my doggy doesn't get tangled up in it, and sleep however I want to sleep on side or back or curled up next to hubby.  Forgetting I have it is biggest problem when I get up and head for bathroom it draws me back LOL and I have to go back and pick it up.

You'll  have steroids keeping you on the go for the first two days, so you shouldn't have troubles driving home, and oncology nurses are wonderful and answer any questions you have while there.

Best of luck,

Winter Marie