New here...scared...not yet diagnosed

Options

Hello everyone! My name is Katie and I'm a 28 year old mother of 5 children ages 10,7,5,3, and 5 months. I am currently breastfeeding and discovered a mass like area along the armpit side of my left breast. I initially thought it was a clogged milk duct and have been massaging, pumping, doing all the things to try and clear it out. It isn't budging. It dawned on me a few days ago that it may be something serious so I made an appt with my gyno. He examined it and felt that it was mass like to the touch and said it definitely needed to be investigated. He's sending me for an ultrasound next week instead of a mammo since I'm breastfeeding. I know I really have no place here as of now, but I'm scared out of my mind and feel like I need to find as much info as I can. I'm quite sure there is no way to "prepare" one's self for a BC diagnosis, but I'm preparing for the worst. I just keep imagining leaving my children motherless and its killing me! Someone please tell me what to expect during the ultrasound and what they look for on it. I appreciate any and all info. Praying for everyone here. ((Hugs))

Comments

• BCancer2015
    BCancer2015 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Arm pit mass

Sorry to hear about your finding. I can understand your fear. I had a similiar presentation in my rt breast - dense tissue and painful lump under arm pit.  Dr sent me for mammo.  After mammo I immediately had ultrasound. It is a simple exam with a wand and gel that allows them to measure and determine if it might be a cyst or if it looks suspicious. They will take pictures for your doctor. From that visit I went to surgeon for another ultrasound. He did a fine needle biopsy. He said it was small (6mm) and probably would not have been found if in another area of the breast so I was "lucky".   This is an area of breast tissue called "the Tail of Spence". My biopsy was not good news, it came back malignant. Because it is right at the chest wall the biopsy was too small to type i have to wait for results after surgery. I am having lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on Friday and it will be sent out to determine type and stage. It is a shock to hear that you have cancer for sure. Hopefully your news will be positive. Let us know what you find out. 

Please ----- Don't panic from my situation as I am post menopausal (50) and never had kids. Yours could definitely be hormone related and breast feeding related. 

• mommykake
    mommykake Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I'm so sorry you are having to endure this trial and all the unknowns that surround you right now. I'm thinking of you and praying that you have 100% recovery. My "mass" seems to be more along the side of the breast than towards the upper corner as it seems yours is. I did read that my age, number of children, and breastfeeding lessens my chances of malignancy, but I also read stories of women just like me who did have breast cancer. I havecaclove/hate relationship with the internet...haha. Thanks again for your encouragement. I'll be sure to update next week after the ultrasound.

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Stay optimistic.  Take things

Stay optimistic.  Take things a step at a time.  Otherwise it all can be overwhelming.  I know that is easier said than done; but that was what I tried to do from start to finish.  

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    mommykake said:

Thank you so much for taking

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I'm so sorry you are having to endure this trial and all the unknowns that surround you right now. I'm thinking of you and praying that you have 100% recovery. My "mass" seems to be more along the side of the breast than towards the upper corner as it seems yours is. I did read that my age, number of children, and breastfeeding lessens my chances of malignancy, but I also read stories of women just like me who did have breast cancer. I havecaclove/hate relationship with the internet...haha. Thanks again for your encouragement. I'll be sure to update next week after the ultrasound.

Ultra Sound

The Ultra Sound is the same thing that most young women today get when they go to see the sex of their babies.........I'm sure you had that?   It is not much different only done on your breast ....mine was on the left side of my breast under my left arm....a hard knot that I found that would not go away.  But I was twice your age  (66) and I am a BC Survivor now for over 12 years.   Do not fear until you know the facts....take this one step at a time.   Prayers for good results....please be sure to let us know the outcome and I would advise you to stay positive also.  Hugs,   Glo

• ggiampao
    ggiampao Member Posts: 4
    Options
    i am breastfeeding as well

i am breastfeeding as well and have a 5 month old as well i found a lump in my breast and my dr checked it out...he said it was running with my milk ducts and it should go away it took a few months but sure enough i cant feel it anymore... it took months of me feeding massaging and all that jazz...right now with just having a baby and breast feeding there is tons of unknown stuff in our breast hormones and whatnot... dont freak out yet!!!  sending good vibes your way!! dont worry momma!

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    EAsier said then done....but

EAsier said then done....but dont' let it take over  your thinking....just the WAIT is the pits for sure...waiting for the TEST date and then resutls.

IF YOU have someone who can go along , I suggest you have an extra set of ears to the exam and Dr appts...i found it very helpful...

Denise

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

EAsier said then done....but

EAsier said then done....but dont' let it take over  your thinking....just the WAIT is the pits for sure...waiting for the TEST date and then resutls.

IF YOU have someone who can go along , I suggest you have an extra set of ears to the exam and Dr appts...i found it very helpful...

Denise

it is very possible with

it is very possible with breastfeeding that it is some lump that is fine. try not to go "there" and dont worry until they tell you there is something to b concerned about hopefully it is nothing!

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    carkris said:

it is very possible with

it is very possible with breastfeeding that it is some lump that is fine. try not to go "there" and dont worry until they tell you there is something to b concerned about hopefully it is nothing!

Prayers sent your way that it

Prayers sent your way that it is nothing to worry about.    I had the ultrasound - totally painless.   I like the idea of the ultrasound over the mammo - they can see and tell so much more.  Hang in there and please let us know what you hear.

• dcminmass
    dcminmass Member Posts: 5
    Options

Arm pit mass

Sorry to hear about your finding. I can understand your fear. I had a similiar presentation in my rt breast - dense tissue and painful lump under arm pit.  Dr sent me for mammo.  After mammo I immediately had ultrasound. It is a simple exam with a wand and gel that allows them to measure and determine if it might be a cyst or if it looks suspicious. They will take pictures for your doctor. From that visit I went to surgeon for another ultrasound. He did a fine needle biopsy. He said it was small (6mm) and probably would not have been found if in another area of the breast so I was "lucky".   This is an area of breast tissue called "the Tail of Spence". My biopsy was not good news, it came back malignant. Because it is right at the chest wall the biopsy was too small to type i have to wait for results after surgery. I am having lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on Friday and it will be sent out to determine type and stage. It is a shock to hear that you have cancer for sure. Hopefully your news will be positive. Let us know what you find out. 

Please ----- Don't panic from my situation as I am post menopausal (50) and never had kids. Yours could definitely be hormone related and breast feeding related. 

Scared, Mixed Emotions, Hopeful

I'm Female 53, I had a breast lumpectomy (stage 2_ductal cancer)and underarm lymph nodes removed also 4/16/15  (2 lymph nodes were affected.)

I've postponed chemo. I'm not ready, I'm afraid, just want a month to not deal with this.

Oncologist is doing an Oncotype test to see if I am low risk. Maybe no chemo at all.

My surgeon says I should have a mastectomy in the future because of microcalcifiations in the same breast.