Breast Cancer and low Vitamin D

Options
2»

Comments

• Gm2873
    Gm2873 Member Posts: 65
    Options

this has been interesting to read. About 6 months before I was diagnosed, my PCP put me on 4,000 IU per day because my blood work showed I was low. Wondering if the cancer is tied to Vitamin D. My onc wanted me off all supplements when i started chemo (pertusamab, Taxotere, herceptin). Finished with the Taxotere but will be on Herceptin and Zomata "indefinitely". Meaning until it stops working. I am scheduled to see my onc next Tuesday and plan to ask her about Calcium, Vit D and B12 at that time.

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options

optimum Vit D level article

I got my vit D level back this morning, I'm at 52, which according to this article, http://vitamind3-cholecalciferol.com/optimum-vitamin-d-level/, I'm at an optimum level. I've been taking 2000 units a day of OTC D3 from CVS pharmacy for several months.

Puffin, do you know yet if

Puffin, do you know yet if Medicare paid for your Vitamin D test?

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    More Vitamin D

Hello everyone, to make a long story short, my vitamin D has been increased to 50,000 units 2x a week. Vitamin b12 is left the same to 1000 units a day. I had went in for lab work the other day and nurse called today to tell me prescription of Vitamin D had already been faxed into pharmacy. I have appt. to see PCP in a few weeks for more labs and I do get to see him then and I have alot of questions to ask. Please ladies have your Vitamin D levels checked. Someway it is linked with breast cancer and I am going to find out why either with my PCP or ONC. I wish you all the very best. Hugs Pixie

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Puffin, do you know yet if

Puffin, do you know yet if Medicare paid for your Vitamin D test?

insurance coverage

that bill hasn't been processed yet, but onc said if it didn't to let her know and she'd see that it was covered

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options

More Vitamin D

Hello everyone, to make a long story short, my vitamin D has been increased to 50,000 units 2x a week. Vitamin b12 is left the same to 1000 units a day. I had went in for lab work the other day and nurse called today to tell me prescription of Vitamin D had already been faxed into pharmacy. I have appt. to see PCP in a few weeks for more labs and I do get to see him then and I have alot of questions to ask. Please ladies have your Vitamin D levels checked. Someway it is linked with breast cancer and I am going to find out why either with my PCP or ONC. I wish you all the very best. Hugs Pixie

For some reason,
    my body has not been absorbing b12 or vit D, and calcium drops, even have trouble with Warfarin and thyroid levels. Now the endocri ologist has me taking Magnesium. She says it helps absorb. I am taking the B12 sublingual. That is 1000 iu daily. It was a shot 1x a week, but that was getting expensive. The otc B12 is less than $5. a month.
    All of the meds are adding up.
    I will remind everyone to check cas prices at Costco Walmart, Target, etc. I have found the cash price inmost cases hass been less than my co-pays for all but Fentanyl, Aromason, and Thyroid meds. Some co-pays were $10-30. month and cas prices were $4. - 12.Paying cash rather than going thru insurance has saved me just about $90. a month.
    I ask for cash price whenever I have a refill. Mail order Aromason was 80. for a 90 day supply. I asked if there were any deals and that I got a dis ount card from the maker, that changed it from 80. to 25;for the 3 months. I have learned to ask on aall of it.
  • Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    camul said:

For some reason,
    my body has not been absorbing b12 or vit D, and calcium drops, even have trouble with Warfarin and thyroid levels. Now the endocri ologist has me taking Magnesium. She says it helps absorb. I am taking the B12 sublingual. That is 1000 iu daily. It was a shot 1x a week, but that was getting expensive. The otc B12 is less than $5. a month.
    All of the meds are adding up.
    I will remind everyone to check cas prices at Costco Walmart, Target, etc. I have found the cash price inmost cases hass been less than my co-pays for all but Fentanyl, Aromason, and Thyroid meds. Some co-pays were $10-30. month and cas prices were $4. - 12.Paying cash rather than going thru insurance has saved me just about $90. a month.
    I ask for cash price whenever I have a refill. Mail order Aromason was 80. for a 90 day supply. I asked if there were any deals and that I got a dis ount card from the maker, that changed it from 80. to 25;for the 3 months. I have learned to ask on aall of it.

Who did you ask?

Camul, where did you get your discount card for your medicine. I go to Walmart and get all of mine and some are expensive. I do know discount cards are just for certain medicines but every penney helps when you have alot of medicines to refill each month. Thank you,     Hugs,  Pixie

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options

Who did you ask?

Camul, where did you get your discount card for your medicine. I go to Walmart and get all of mine and some are expensive. I do know discount cards are just for certain medicines but every penney helps when you have alot of medicines to refill each month. Thank you,     Hugs,  Pixie

Its from The company that
    Its from The company that makes Aromason. My dr gave it to me. I also had one from oral chemo. And found that cash prices were the least expensive for most other. Vit d cash price is less than half the pruce for 16 weeks, 10,00 iu that I take weekly. I get a 90 day supply of warfaren 30. co-pay with uhc ins, or 17. cash.
    I was paying out btwn 250-300 a month in copays, now btwn cash price instead of using ins, mail order and dis ounts when avail, it has dropped to about 125. on average most months (if antibiotics or stomach meds are needed it may go up, but I was paying $100. a month for fentanyl, 2 scripts to get a certain dosage. Shoped around, Target told me that uhc had an agreement on name brand for $10. each. I just started asking at the different pharmacies. The University of Utah Hosp pharmacist printed out all the pharmacies caash prices and generic for ea h one, then printed out the ins co-pays for a whole list of meds that I was on and some he figured I may need from time to time. That was about a year and a half ago. I just started going over everything. I do go to two pharmacies (costco and Target), Target also has a program for those that your insurance may not over.
    My son had no ins for a while and needed a reful(btwn jobs, waiting for ins to start up), they hadve a program for affordable meds. His was $500. cash price that the knocked down to less than $50.
    i am no longer shy. Even the U has a dental program. He needed a root canal. per his dentist, no money! He went to the dental school at the U, they did xrAy, gave him antibiotics(instead of script), filled two teeth and deep clean . all for 75.
    Seriously, ask on everything. I went thru everything I had in the last 4+ years on medical and scripts. Even retirement. Cancer is not.cheap. Docs told me to ask for disc at hospitals even. I get too much to qualify for any programs or assistance on SSDI, over the 1250. limit. Tthey say I fall in the bla k hole. Too much to qualify but not enuf to live with the high rent and cost of living, then kick in hosp , dr bills, and scripts. I am broke after 2 weeks and my kids help with everything the last 2 weeks.
    Dr. says that is what he is seeing with the elderly and single womenainly, and I had a good income, but not good enuf whenI couldnt work anymore.
  • GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Interesting subject ......

researching a few items -- I may need to incorporate vitaim D into my daily routine, no doubt. dosage ? 

Vicki Sam

dosage..

mine is about 1000 per day.........