Can taste buds grow back ?

Options

Hi there, 

just wondering if taste buds can grow back ? I have very smooth sections on my tongue and have to confirm in 2 wks with my oncologist  that this is geographic tongue, my go has already said yes. Had a good look at my tongue and there is red very smooth sections, can taste buds grow back ? This is the result of the radiation.

thanks,

Robyn

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    taste BUDS

Robyn,

My taste, while not “old normal” are 10x better than they were and at nearly 3 years post are still improving.

I am tastefully happy.

Matt

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    It can take a long time:

National Cancer Institute:

In most patients receiving chemotherapy and in some patients receiving radiation therapy, taste returns to normal a few months after treatment ends. However, for many radiation therapy patients, the change is permanent. In others, the taste buds may recover 6 to 8 weeks or more after radiation therapy ends. Zinc sulfate supplements may help some patients recover their sense of taste.

Bill

• Sailor123
    Sailor123 Member Posts: 97
    Options
    Hi Robyn:
    Its been 9 months

Hi Robyn:

Its been 9 months since my treatment ended and I still can't taste.  I can maybe taste one or two bites if i'm lucky and thats it.  I am taking zinc supplements and am told that until zinc levels return to normal there will be no taste.  My understanding is that regeneration of the taste buds does happen but can take a long time.  I'm hopeful it will come back as it seems to for most people.

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Sailor123 said:

Hi Robyn:
    Its been 9 months

Hi Robyn:

Its been 9 months since my treatment ended and I still can't taste.  I can maybe taste one or two bites if i'm lucky and thats it.  I am taking zinc supplements and am told that until zinc levels return to normal there will be no taste.  My understanding is that regeneration of the taste buds does happen but can take a long time.  I'm hopeful it will come back as it seems to for most people.

I have always been able to

I have always been able to taste some at least towards the back of tounge.I had around 1/2 removed and muscle from thigh to form the rest as in a tounge flap.Last rads were in early July and slowly have been able taste alittle more.The big thing is now I feel hot and cold but still test coffee soup things like that to make sure not to hot.Doctor told me that I should get feeling back over the long hall.Am just now starting to get some feeling on my face .Two weeks ago I didn't but after this last snow blast felt it getting cold while shoveling.So I have to along with the Dr and let nature work and not to get to big in hurry.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    roybn, my last rad tx was

roybn, my last rad tx was 10/22/09.  i have just started being able to eat chocolate lately.  so i do believe taste comes back on its own time.  now that i can eat chocolate again, i'm making up for the yrs i missed it and my jeans are getting tight......yuk.  now i wish i didn't like it again.  so, don't give up, the tasting can still happen.

God bless you,

dj

• SimmsFond1
    SimmsFond1 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    First off, I am very sorry

First off, I am very sorry for your condition and I am tonque survivor that completed surgery and radiation My taste has been restored over the years :)

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I have all my buds....

they just don't work great.  You're the only person I've heard of with geographic tongue....I don't know if the smooth parts will grow buds or not.  But, maybe the buds you do still have will start to compensate??? 

p