Looking for some support xxxxxx

Hi All x

First of all I'd just like to say hello - nice to 'meet' you! Cool xxx

I'm a 52 year old who was diagnosed with Grade 11 invasive breast cancer in October - no lymph involvement found - I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in November and am well on my way to recovery - all done and dusted in just over 3 months!

At the moment though I'm in tears and absolutely worried sick - terrified to be honest!

I'm postmenopausal and not had a period for at least 5 years - but for the last year or so I've been having some worrying niggling symptoms:

• Period like pains/cramps on and off for the last year or so but this has settled to a dull constant 'periody' ache over the last 6 months
  • Also a dull aching lower back and pelvic pain 
  • Vaginal discharge for around the last 4 months (this had totally stopped with my very last period so I was surprised to see it back!)

Not surprisingly I suppose (since my BC diagnosis) these symptoms have started ringing alarm bells!

So I asked for an ultrasound months ago and eventually got one week last Friday - this showed an abnormally thickened edometrium - so the alarm bells started ringing at top volume!!

Then this morning I've started bleeding - not a large amount but after 5 years enough to shock!

I'm beside myself now with worry - my lovely Aunt recently died from uterine cancer - I know it may all be fine and I'm worrying for nothing but I have this terrible gut feeling  Frown

I could really do with some support - advice - your own experiences - anything! xxxxx

Comments

• Hopeful162
    Hopeful162 Member Posts: 82
    Any discharge after menopause

Any discharge after menopause is a red flag. I would call my gynecologist for an appointment. She/he may very well want to do a biopsy. Try not to worry until you hve more information. Good luck!

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Hi:
    Sorry you are

Hi:

Sorry you are experiencing pain and some problems.  Given your recent history, it is always best to contact your doctor especially if your are having vaginal discharge.  Like you said, it could be nothing but it is something that you should bring up with your physician.

Also, because you have a gut feeling, if you feel your current physician quite doesn't answer your question, seek a second opinion.   Has anyone indicated anything about the thickened edometrium?  

You don't say whether or not you were given a PET scan with  your BC diagnosis.   

You have to be specific with your questions to the physician and don't feel like you are bothering them.   A BC physician might not recognize symptoms relating to gynecological problems, and vise versa, as they specialize only in those particular areas.  

Get your list of questions you want to ask, have your family history available, and any other pertinent information (symptoms, frequency, etc).   

My best to you!

Kathy

• nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Hi Mammyx

I was a similar situation like you, I was in menopause and just about 6 years after no period I started to spot on a regular basis.  consulted Doc. and was told that it was due to fibroids.  I don't remember if she took a pap,  but I think she did.  I got tired of spotting and went back to her and she took a biopsy and said right there that it didn't look good.I did not have a bc dx but I was later dx with endo cancer.  Not to scare uou, but I would like to tell you to take care of this right away and tell your doc you want a biopsy.  It may not be anything but its better to be on the safe side. DO NOT DELAY. I delayed and my Doc whom we all hope have our best interest at heart dragged her feet until I told her something had to be done.  Fortunately, I was dx with stage 1a and is 5 years in remission.Please let us know how you are doing.

• Mammycatx
    Mammycatx Member Posts: 6
    Thanks all xxx

Thanks so much everyone x The breast cancer nurse is ringing me today as she couldn't find the scan results on Friday.

I'll also ring my GP this morning and ask to be referred to a gynae regardless of whether they have got the results yet.

The problem is I'm under 2 different NHS Trusts so there is always some delay!

Will let you know how thigs go xxx

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Mammycatx said:

Thanks all xxx

Thanks so much everyone x The breast cancer nurse is ringing me today as she couldn't find the scan results on Friday.

I'll also ring my GP this morning and ask to be referred to a gynae regardless of whether they have got the results yet.

The problem is I'm under 2 different NHS Trusts so there is always some delay!

Will let you know how thigs go xxx

Note my screen name.

Hello, Mammycatx-

I was diagnosed with both breast cancer and endometrial cancer 4 days apart.  Those folks in the cancer center told me it is not unusual for a woman to have both over the course of her lifetime, as many of the risk factors are the same.  (My endo cancer was endometroid adenocarcinoma, the most common type, or Type 1).  This was all in 2010 and I was so so lucky that both cancers were early stage, low grade, and while I did have chemo and radiation for the breast thing, I had surgery only for the endometrial cancer.  You have done a great job in reporting and following up on your symptoms.  Keep nagging.  And let us know how things go.  I cetainly hope it's "nothing".  In the meantime, we're all here to support you.

Suzanne 

• Mammycatx

Note my screen name.

Hello, Mammycatx-

I was diagnosed with both breast cancer and endometrial cancer 4 days apart.  Those folks in the cancer center told me it is not unusual for a woman to have both over the course of her lifetime, as many of the risk factors are the same.  (My endo cancer was endometroid adenocarcinoma, the most common type, or Type 1).  This was all in 2010 and I was so so lucky that both cancers were early stage, low grade, and while I did have chemo and radiation for the breast thing, I had surgery only for the endometrial cancer.  You have done a great job in reporting and following up on your symptoms.  Keep nagging.  And let us know how things go.  I cetainly hope it's "nothing".  In the meantime, we're all here to support you.

Suzanne 

Double whammy xx

Hi Suzanne x

Thank you - It's horrible that you should go through both Frown I keep thinking/telling myself this just can't be happening to me - not with what I've just gone through - perhaps I'm just being paranoid!

I've had such a lot of pain and complications with the mastectomies & reconstruction that I feel I can't even face the biopsy I know is coming - let alone anything else!

My GP is ringing me tomorrow to discuss where we go from here and I'm hoping/praying she'll tell me it's nothing to worry about - get on with your recovery! 

I'll keep you updated

Jen xxxx

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Mammycatx said:

Double whammy xx

Hi Suzanne x

Thank you - It's horrible that you should go through both Frown I keep thinking/telling myself this just can't be happening to me - not with what I've just gone through - perhaps I'm just being paranoid!

I've had such a lot of pain and complications with the mastectomies & reconstruction that I feel I can't even face the biopsy I know is coming - let alone anything else!

My GP is ringing me tomorrow to discuss where we go from here and I'm hoping/praying she'll tell me it's nothing to worry about - get on with your recovery! 

I'll keep you updated

Jen xxxx

Mammycatx, you should be concerned.

Mammycatx, you should be concerned. I had as my symptoms fresh blood on my underwear and I was alarmed as I knew this was NOT good in a post-menopsusal woman. I saw a gynecologist immediately , had a pap test and ultrasound and was told that I had adenocarcinoma.  I immediately saw a gynecologic oncologist, had a biopsy that showed that I likely had a grade 2 uterine cancer. I wish that was so!!  I found out after my hysterectomy and the pathology report came back that I had a grade 3 cancer ( most aggressive ) and it was advanced metastatic . Stage 3A.  Try to get the best care you can, even though treatment is standardized and not guessed at. Please see a gyne oncologist for your own sake.

Hopefully , all will turn out well for you!

Warm Wishes , Jen ,

Cathy

• Mammycatx
    Abbycat2 said:

Mammycatx, you should be concerned.

Mammycatx, you should be concerned. I had as my symptoms fresh blood on my underwear and I was alarmed as I knew this was NOT good in a post-menopsusal woman. I saw a gynecologist immediately , had a pap test and ultrasound and was told that I had adenocarcinoma.  I immediately saw a gynecologic oncologist, had a biopsy that showed that I likely had a grade 2 uterine cancer. I wish that was so!!  I found out after my hysterectomy and the pathology report came back that I had a grade 3 cancer ( most aggressive ) and it was advanced metastatic . Stage 3A.  Try to get the best care you can, even though treatment is standardized and not guessed at. Please see a gyne oncologist for your own sake.

Hopefully , all will turn out well for you!

Warm Wishes , Jen ,

Cathy

Just spoke to GP x

Hi All x 

Just an update - my GP just rang and she is doing an urgent referral to a gynae for me.

My endometrium is 15 mm thick - nothing else abnormal seen

I know 15mm is abnormal - but how abnormal? Undecided xxxx

xxxxxx 

• Double Whammy
    Mammycatx said:

Just spoke to GP x

Hi All x 

Just an update - my GP just rang and she is doing an urgent referral to a gynae for me.

My endometrium is 15 mm thick - nothing else abnormal seen

I know 15mm is abnormal - but how abnormal? Undecided xxxx

xxxxxx 

Thickness

I think anything over 5 mm. in a postmenopausal women is a cause for concern.  Mine was only 9 mm. 

Glad you're getting that referral soon.  You should know what you're dealing with soon.  

Suzanne

• Mammycatx

Thickness

I think anything over 5 mm. in a postmenopausal women is a cause for concern.  Mine was only 9 mm. 

Glad you're getting that referral soon.  You should know what you're dealing with soon.  

Suzanne

Terror!

I know it sounds mad Suzanne but my biggest terror is having the hysteroscopy and biopsy done!

I had one years ago after I had severe abnormalities on a pap smear (treated with laser and cone biopsy)

I'm just petrified - really phobic to be honest - I don't think I'm going to be able to go through with having it done!! 

I begged the GP to ask if I can possibly have it under general anaesthetic  - she said she would ask and tell them how much I'd been through recently - but she didn't hold much hope!

I coped with the pain of the mastectomies etc But I really just can't bear the thought of the biopsy & hysteroscopy!!!

In what circumstances do they choose to do a D&C?? - I asked for that instead I'm so desperate!

Cry xxx

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Mammycatx said:

Terror!

I know it sounds mad Suzanne but my biggest terror is having the hysteroscopy and biopsy done!

I had one years ago after I had severe abnormalities on a pap smear (treated with laser and cone biopsy)

I'm just petrified - really phobic to be honest - I don't think I'm going to be able to go through with having it done!! 

I begged the GP to ask if I can possibly have it under general anaesthetic  - she said she would ask and tell them how much I'd been through recently - but she didn't hold much hope!

I coped with the pain of the mastectomies etc But I really just can't bear the thought of the biopsy & hysteroscopy!!!

In what circumstances do they choose to do a D&C?? - I asked for that instead I'm so desperate!

Cry xxx

D&C

When I first had bleeding symptoms. My doctor ordered an ultrasound that showed a thickening of the uterine wall, but it was not as thick as yours. I went to my gyn and he said we would do a D&C. I don't know that there were any specific criterion. So, why dont you speak to your gyn and ask her why she doesn't want to do the D&C instead? I think you get a better sampling with the D&C and it is done under general anesthesia. You have been going through so much and don't need this extra trauma. Sandy

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Mammycatx said:

Terror!

Cry xxx

I was frightened, too

Mammycatx,

When I saw my gynecologic oncologist the very first time he said that we needed a uterine biopsy and I practically jumped out of the chair I was sitting in when he told me he would do it right now . The last one I had done was by a gynecologist who seemed inept. That hurt. My gyne oncologist was very gentle and I was surprised that it took only a few seconds and didn't hurt at all.  Really, it didn't. 

Wishing you the best,

Cathy

• Double Whammy
    Abbycat2 said:

I was frightened, too

Mammycatx,

When I saw my gynecologic oncologist the very first time he said that we needed a uterine biopsy and I practically jumped out of the chair I was sitting in when he told me he would do it right now . The last one I had done was by a gynecologist who seemed inept. That hurt. My gyne oncologist was very gentle and I was surprised that it took only a few seconds and didn't hurt at all.  Really, it didn't. 

Wishing you the best,

Cathy

800 mg Ibuprofen

I've had 3 biopsies over the years for postmenopausal bleeding and 2 before having children.  Well, we won't even talk about the ones I had by a GP before I had children.  That was back in the dark ages and they probably used a coat hanger.  I agree with Cathy, tho, it's sort of a skill.  The first time I had one for postmenopausal bleeding, the gynecologist advised me to take 800 mg. Ibuprofen before the procedure.  I did and the procedure was amazingly not horrible.  It was uncomfortable, but not horrible.  At the subsequent biopsies, no one advised me to do anything, but I took the Ibuprofen anyway and tolerated both of those quite well.  Uncomfortable, a little cramping, but over quickly.  Not at all what I would call painful.   The gyn who did my last one was pretty impressed by how well I did and acted surprised about taking Ibuprofen.   

When I was referred this last time, I didn't know if she would do a biopsy then or reschedule. I took the Ibuprofen anyway and was so glad I did because she did it on the initial visit.  My previous pcp offered to let him do one or be referred, and I asked to be referred to a gynecologist.  I do think practice makes perfect and gynecologists do a lot of these.

I don't know why some doctors do a D & C vs a biopsy.  There must be a reason, but I don't know it.  I'm sure you could request meds prior to a biopsy and you can request a D & C which will be done under anesthesia.  Let your past experience be known. 

Hope this is all behind you soon.  Once it's over, you will breathe a sigh of relief. 

Suzanne

• TXBlue
    TXBlue Member Posts: 3
    Hang in there and we will get through this

Hi Mammycatx. I am in the same boat with you. I'm 57 and have been postmenopausal for 11 years. I've had abnormal paps for almost as long as I have been postmenopausal but was always told that it wasn't anything to worry about. Back in November I started spotting before I left work. I stopped to get gas for my car and it actually gushed all the way to my ankles. After 2 unsuccessful biopsies and 2 sonogram sessions along with exams, I was referred to a GYN oncologist. I am scheduled for a D&C on the 23rd of this month. The waiting is so hard. Even harder on my family than on me. I am trying to stay upbeat and positive. Work and my grandkids are a great distraction during the day. My question is after a D&C, did anyone feel well enough to return to work the next day or how long were you off? I'd rather stay distracted and not allow my mind to wonder.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    TXBlue said:

Hi Mammycatx. I am in the same boat with you. I'm 57 and have been postmenopausal for 11 years. I've had abnormal paps for almost as long as I have been postmenopausal but was always told that it wasn't anything to worry about. Back in November I started spotting before I left work. I stopped to get gas for my car and it actually gushed all the way to my ankles. After 2 unsuccessful biopsies and 2 sonogram sessions along with exams, I was referred to a GYN oncologist. I am scheduled for a D&C on the 23rd of this month. The waiting is so hard. Even harder on my family than on me. I am trying to stay upbeat and positive. Work and my grandkids are a great distraction during the day. My question is after a D&C, did anyone feel well enough to return to work the next day or how long were you off? I'd rather stay distracted and not allow my mind to wonder.

Hello TXBlue, I worked at a

Hello TXBlue, I worked at a water station for a 5K race the day after my D&C.  There is just some brownish discharge afterwards, a light pad will cover you. 

The waiting is the worst part, especially when you don't know what is going on, and I can't imagine what my family was going through.

Please try to just take a breath. 

• daylady
    daylady Member Posts: 122
    Symptoms..

You need to get to your ob/gyn.  It may be nothing, but if it is something the sooner you find it the better.  Remember to breathe!  And just take things one step at a time!  Hugs - Helen

• Mammycatx
    TXBlue said:

Still waiting! x

Hi Everyone xxx

TXBlue x - So sorry but I've only just seen this x How did it go for you?

I saw a gynaecologist oncologist 2 weeks ago who saud he would do the hysteroscopy and biopsy under general anaesthetic in any case and they will be doing my bladder at the same time x The waiting is horrible - 4 weeks from consultation to the op they said x

Thanks again everyone for your support - the reason I'm not on often is that I'm trying very hard to not focus on it until I know what I'm dealing with!

xxxxxx