I need to give credit to Stanford Medical again...

Options
wmc
wmc Member Posts: 1,804
edited January 2015 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I just need to give credit to my Doctor and the team at Stanford. For the last four days I have had a problem with the prosthesis in my neck so I can talk. It has been leaking down the center of my TEP [prosthesis] which means that I am asperating and liquid is going down my trach to my lungs. My GURD is the main cause of why it leaks as the stomach acid is damageing it and causing it to leak. I have been trying to get it to stop with no luck and it's getting worse. When it leaks I cough and what ever is in my stomach is coming up and out because of the GURD. Coughed so hard last night I turned red and was seeing stars for ten minuts.

So I e-mail Stanford this morning and asked if I could get it changed today. Yes, very short notice, but I have to plug it to even get my meds down. Long story short, [as much as I can] Dr asked if it could be done today. SLP are giving a seminar to 130 people, I didn't know this, and are really tied up. Someone asked if it had to be done today or could I wait till next week. Dr said no, he knows me and if I say I am leaking and asperating, then I am, and can they get it changed. E-mails are going all over to at least six people and get back to me, to go ahead and come there. It is a four hour drive and 215 miles and I only got 3 hours sleep because of it, and they are giving a seminar, but will take care of it. So I drive up and they get me right in, like in three minutes, and call the SLP and she sneeks away and comes over and changed it. There was a total of 20 e-mails including my thank you to them, and the Dr telling me your welcome and enjoy the weekend. It's nice to know that they care about the patient and do put then first. It was worth the 430 mile round trip and 30 minute office visit. I just need to acknowledge them. Their staff is amazing.

Bill

Comments

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    That's Great

Its great when the doctor knows you and trusts that you know what you are talking about.

I have an allergist that is the same way.  I ususally don't have to go in if I need something.  If I say I have a sinus infection - I probably do.  If I say the cold is so bad I need some prednisone (and I don't have any on hand), she fills my prescription.  I am her only patient that has her work email address.

Glad you got all fixed up.

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Credit

You must have really impressed your doctors in the past! I'm glad you were able to get things taken care of so quickly. 

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    bill, that coughing must have

bill, that coughing must have been scary.  i cough crazy sometimes and it literally takes my breath and puts charlie horses in my stomach and chest.  i'm so happy you have such a wonderful team.  that is so important, especially when something like a leak happens b/c of the asparating.  i just had mine changed Feb. 3 because it was leaking so bad.  I'm very impressed with your docs keeping up with their email and answering you so quickly.  My pcp isn't even good at that, he takes days maybe even a week.  i think your team is worth the drive.

God bless you,

dj

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options

bill, that coughing must have

bill, that coughing must have been scary.  i cough crazy sometimes and it literally takes my breath and puts charlie horses in my stomach and chest.  i'm so happy you have such a wonderful team.  that is so important, especially when something like a leak happens b/c of the asparating.  i just had mine changed Feb. 3 because it was leaking so bad.  I'm very impressed with your docs keeping up with their email and answering you so quickly.  My pcp isn't even good at that, he takes days maybe even a week.  i think your team is worth the drive.

God bless you,

dj

Thank you all....

Mrs BD thank you. Lorna and Debbie I know you really understand as being fellow Laryngectomee's and Neck Breathers. Having to sqirt water in your stoma to clear it or clean it is one thing. You know you are going to cough and are prepaired for what is about to happen next, oh that poor mirror has to be cleaned again, LOL. But when you take a sip of water and it leaks through a TEP just a few drops and here comes the cough and you pluged your filter and have to change it. My fear was the cough triggers my acid reflex and the sphincter muscle has been cut and won't work the same and keep food and liquid down. Then my lower sphincter does not work because of the Hiatal hernia so all the acid in my stomach gets launched, often all the way to my sinus cavity and that is so hard to get cleaned because we breath through our nech and the nose is just an ornament on my face to keep my glasses up. I made a divise to clear your nose, then found it on WebWhispers as well. My Doctor and SLP asked me to put the vidio on YouTube so she could use it for her other patients. 

http://youtu.be/9AY1pYGW3W0

Thanks

Bill

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Thank you all....

Mrs BD thank you. Lorna and Debbie I know you really understand as being fellow Laryngectomee's and Neck Breathers. Having to sqirt water in your stoma to clear it or clean it is one thing. You know you are going to cough and are prepaired for what is about to happen next, oh that poor mirror has to be cleaned again, LOL. But when you take a sip of water and it leaks through a TEP just a few drops and here comes the cough and you pluged your filter and have to change it. My fear was the cough triggers my acid reflex and the sphincter muscle has been cut and won't work the same and keep food and liquid down. Then my lower sphincter does not work because of the Hiatal hernia so all the acid in my stomach gets launched, often all the way to my sinus cavity and that is so hard to get cleaned because we breath through our nech and the nose is just an ornament on my face to keep my glasses up. I made a divise to clear your nose, then found it on WebWhispers as well. My Doctor and SLP asked me to put the vidio on YouTube so she could use it for her other patients. 

http://youtu.be/9AY1pYGW3W0

Thanks

Bill

bill, thanks for sharing.  i

bill, thanks for sharing.  i also have a hiatal hernia.  you and i have some of the same problems.  thank goodness Lorna was never a smoker, but like you, i smoked heavy for 43 yrs.  i also have the acid reflux.  the things we do to our bodies when we're young.  if i only knew then..........sigh.  oh well, just wanted to say thanks for sharing. 

dj

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Great Story Bill

It is wonderful to have good doctor caring doctors. When I was going to MDA in Houston it was almost the same thing, I could e-mail right into my doctor office and have him get back to me the same day if that is what was needed. I am no longer under the care of MDA but I still have my direct line to my doctor if ever needed: the good part is they never forget you, how they do that I don’t know.

Tim Hondo