New Concern

Jonesy32
Jonesy32 Member Posts: 7

For background, my wife who is 26 was seen last Sept. for kidney stones.  They found a mass that was 3.5 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm in her right kidney (RCC).  By late October the mass was removed by partial nephrectomy.  They said margins were negative and the Fuhrman Grade was only a 1.  The Doctor assured us that it was very unlikely that the cancer would return but we needed to follow up in 3 months.

Fast forward to a couple days ago.  I took my wife to the emergency room two days ago because of excrutiating pain on her LEFT side.  The ER doctors said that she had another kidney stone.  We already knew that it was there because when she had her surgery her surgeon had mentioned the stone on her left side.  The scary part is, when the radiologist read her ultrasound he noted a "technicality" which he thought could be a new mass on her left said.  They said everything looked great on the side that she had the surgery on.  They urged us to get a CT scan with contrast done ASAP.

We have an appointment already scheduled with our urologist/surgeon for a follow up from the previous surgery in 3 weeks.  Does anyone have any insight or thoughts?  I am extremely worried and I just don't understand how it was not there just 3 months ago and now it has shown up on the other side.  I'm especially confused on how this could happen due to no evidence of spreading outside of the right kidney before and it being such a low grade on the Fuhrman scale.

Thanks.

Comments

  • Dutch1
    Dutch1 Member Posts: 152
    To my knowledge, it would

    To my knowledge, it would have to be really, really strange for your wife to have a cancerous mass on her second kidney after being looked over closely at the time of her partial last fall.  I have been in this group for almost two years and I haven't heard of anything like this happening. 

    The ultra sound isn't very fancy when it comes to detecting cancer.  Ultra sounds can suggest some sort of a problem, but nailing down the exact nature of what's going on is something that the more sophisticated tests are for.  So, all they know is that maybe something (which could be anything) is there.  I've never heard of cancer of a noticeable size moving in that fast.

    So, get the scan done and get yourselves into your doc as soon as possible so that your mind can be put to rest after the results of the more definitive tests are known. 

    Once this cancer thing touches a person's life, anything different in your body seems to suggest more cancer.  Every unusual twitch.  Anything.  Your reaction is normal.

    You didn't say when your wife's CT scan is scheduled.  Do have it ASAP so that you can get some sleep at night.  Perhaps one of the doctors who is closest to her when the first run in with cancer occurred will have enough sympathy as too your emotions to pull some strings so that scan can be done real soon.

    Best wishes.

    Dutch

  • todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Mass in other kidney

    It could be a lot of things. Most likely it's not cancer in the other kidney. Could be a cyst. Could be a stone. Anomaly on the ultrasound. There's a list of things many of which I think are more likely than RCC again in the other kidney.

    I'm not clear how long it's been since the last scan? Was that with contrast?

    It's rare in normal rcc for the next site to be in the other kidney. The exception is types of genetic kidney cancer.

    Hope you get it straightened out soon. Please keep us up to date.

    Sending you good thoughts.

    Todd

  • Jonesy32
    Jonesy32 Member Posts: 7
    Dutch1 said:

    To my knowledge, it would

    To my knowledge, it would have to be really, really strange for your wife to have a cancerous mass on her second kidney after being looked over closely at the time of her partial last fall.  I have been in this group for almost two years and I haven't heard of anything like this happening. 

    The ultra sound isn't very fancy when it comes to detecting cancer.  Ultra sounds can suggest some sort of a problem, but nailing down the exact nature of what's going on is something that the more sophisticated tests are for.  So, all they know is that maybe something (which could be anything) is there.  I've never heard of cancer of a noticeable size moving in that fast.

    So, get the scan done and get yourselves into your doc as soon as possible so that your mind can be put to rest after the results of the more definitive tests are known. 

    Once this cancer thing touches a person's life, anything different in your body seems to suggest more cancer.  Every unusual twitch.  Anything.  Your reaction is normal.

    You didn't say when your wife's CT scan is scheduled.  Do have it ASAP so that you can get some sleep at night.  Perhaps one of the doctors who is closest to her when the first run in with cancer occurred will have enough sympathy as too your emotions to pull some strings so that scan can be done real soon.

    Best wishes.

    Dutch

    My wife's next CT scan is

    My wife's next CT scan is scheduled for February 26th.  Thank you for the reply.  

  • Jonesy32
    Jonesy32 Member Posts: 7
    todd121 said:

    Mass in other kidney

    It could be a lot of things. Most likely it's not cancer in the other kidney. Could be a cyst. Could be a stone. Anomaly on the ultrasound. There's a list of things many of which I think are more likely than RCC again in the other kidney.

    I'm not clear how long it's been since the last scan? Was that with contrast?

    It's rare in normal rcc for the next site to be in the other kidney. The exception is types of genetic kidney cancer.

    Hope you get it straightened out soon. Please keep us up to date.

    Sending you good thoughts.

    Todd

    Her last CT scan with

    Her last CT scan with contrast was in late October.  They said nothing about another mass and had mentioned that she did have a kidney stone.   They could not find the stone on the most recent ultrasound 

  • Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,057 Member
    Jonesy32 said:

    Her last CT scan with

    Her last CT scan with contrast was in late October.  They said nothing about another mass and had mentioned that she did have a kidney stone.   They could not find the stone on the most recent ultrasound 

    Hello,
    this could be a stone

    Hello,

    this could be a stone noted on last CT scan in October. Ultrasounds are not as good as CT, so perhaps ultrasound radiologist is mixing up these things? I'd trust CT much more.

    Good luck,

    Alla

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Hi Jonesy,
    I agree with the

    Hi Jonesy,

    I agree with the others that it is highly unlikely that it is cancer again. But get it checked out! Now I know someone else who had RCC and a nephrectomy. She also gets kidney stones. The doctor told her that when your kidney passes a stone it stops functioning during that time....which can be an issue with only one kidney! Not sure if this is fact or not, but it is something to be aware of in your situation.

    Keep us posted and take care!

    Jojo

  • Jonesy32
    Jonesy32 Member Posts: 7
    Jojo61 said:

    Hi Jonesy,
    I agree with the

    Hi Jonesy,

    I agree with the others that it is highly unlikely that it is cancer again. But get it checked out! Now I know someone else who had RCC and a nephrectomy. She also gets kidney stones. The doctor told her that when your kidney passes a stone it stops functioning during that time....which can be an issue with only one kidney! Not sure if this is fact or not, but it is something to be aware of in your situation.

    Keep us posted and take care!

    Jojo

    Thank you for the reply.   My

    Thank you for the reply.   My wife had a partial nephrectomy in Oct.  We were told that the kidney that was operated on was working well so that's a plus. 

  • Jonesy32
    Jonesy32 Member Posts: 7
    appointment scheduled
    • My wife has had her appointment moved up to Tuesday.  She will be getting a CT with contrast and blood work done for follow up.  Her doctor said it would be fine to move up her appointment.  Here's hoping there is nothing new!  
  • Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,057 Member
    Jonesy32 said:

    appointment scheduled

    • My wife has had her appointment moved up to Tuesday.  She will be getting a CT with contrast and blood work done for follow up.  Her doctor said it would be fine to move up her appointment.  Here's hoping there is nothing new!  
    Good luck and keep us posted!

    Good luck and keep us posted!

  • todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Jonesy32 said:

    appointment scheduled

    • My wife has had her appointment moved up to Tuesday.  She will be getting a CT with contrast and blood work done for follow up.  Her doctor said it would be fine to move up her appointment.  Here's hoping there is nothing new!  
    Best of luck to you

    Please let us know the results. Sending good thoughts.

    Todd

  • Jonesy32
    Jonesy32 Member Posts: 7
    Great news!

    I'm sorry that I did not come back sooner after going to see our doctor.   I know many people receive news and never come back.   I wanted to let you all know that my wife had her CT with contrast dove and everything came back clear.   No signs of cancer and no stones in either kidney.   Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions! 

  • Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Jonesy32 said:

    Great news!

    I'm sorry that I did not come back sooner after going to see our doctor.   I know many people receive news and never come back.   I wanted to let you all know that my wife had her CT with contrast dove and everything came back clear.   No signs of cancer and no stones in either kidney.   Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions! 

    Superb

    Great news . Good to hear.

  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member

    Superb

    Great news . Good to hear.

    That's wonderful news. So

    That's wonderful news. So happy for both of you.

  • Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    Jonesy32 said:

    Great news!

    I'm sorry that I did not come back sooner after going to see our doctor.   I know many people receive news and never come back.   I wanted to let you all know that my wife had her CT with contrast dove and everything came back clear.   No signs of cancer and no stones in either kidney.   Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions! 

    kidney stones

    I AM NOT THAT GREAT ON SPELLING OR WORDING BUT I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I AM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE . TAKE CARE AND WORRY LESS 

  • Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,057 Member

    kidney stones

    I AM NOT THAT GREAT ON SPELLING OR WORDING BUT I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I AM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE . TAKE CARE AND WORRY LESS 

    That is simply great!

    That is simply great! Congratulations! It would be rather improbable to be a recurrence, but definitely added some stress. Go celebrate :-)

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Allochka said:

    That is simply great!

    That is simply great! Congratulations! It would be rather improbable to be a recurrence, but definitely added some stress. Go celebrate :-)

    Great news! Happy to hear

    Great news! Happy to hear that!

     

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Allochka said:

    That is simply great!

    That is simply great! Congratulations! It would be rather improbable to be a recurrence, but definitely added some stress. Go celebrate :-)

    Great news! Happy to hear

    Great news! Happy to hear that!

     

  • foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    so happy for this happy

    so happy for this happy ending :D