Found 8cm on my sons kidney an hour ago

Options
124»

Comments

• Positive_Mental_Attitude
    Options

As if things needed to get

As if things needed to get any worse.... during his discharge today we found out that our insurance doesn't cover the urologist there after all!!!!! We aren't sure who dropped the ball... the doctor at the hospital where we went to the ER initially that was suppose to be transferring us to a hospital that would be covered by our insurance,  or someone at Children's hospital that retrieved that call. But the urologist at Children's is all kinds of bent out of shape over it... praying enough that she will figure out a way to get it "written off". The worst part is whether he can or can't continue his care with the people I JUST realized is affiliated with a urology team that is high up on  the US rankings. This is a test of faith... that's all... we'll rise above it. 

I had a similar situation,

I had a similar situation, and there are ways you can get your insurance company to pay. I had to put of a huge fight with my insurance company.  Initially, they told me that Sloan Kettering was in my network, and after my surgery was approved, 2 weeks prior to secheduled surgery date,  they told me that they made a mistake and that Sloan Kettering and my doctor were out of network.  I made a strong case of medical necessity that only my doctor at Sloan Kettering could perform the type of surgery required to remove my very difficult tumor to preserve my kidney.  On top of that, someone suggested that I contact a State legislator, which I did. The Legislator called a VP at my insurance company, and within 3-6 days, everything was approved.  I don't know if you can achieve similar results, but in my opinion, the insurance companies' script is to say "no" and deny claims.  Keep fighting and trying, and read your policy very closely.  Good luck.  The agony and stress caused by my insurance company was huge compared to the agony and stress of having cancer and facing major surgery. 

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options

I had a similar situation,

I had a similar situation, and there are ways you can get your insurance company to pay. I had to put of a huge fight with my insurance company.  Initially, they told me that Sloan Kettering was in my network, and after my surgery was approved, 2 weeks prior to secheduled surgery date,  they told me that they made a mistake and that Sloan Kettering and my doctor were out of network.  I made a strong case of medical necessity that only my doctor at Sloan Kettering could perform the type of surgery required to remove my very difficult tumor to preserve my kidney.  On top of that, someone suggested that I contact a State legislator, which I did. The Legislator called a VP at my insurance company, and within 3-6 days, everything was approved.  I don't know if you can achieve similar results, but in my opinion, the insurance companies' script is to say "no" and deny claims.  Keep fighting and trying, and read your policy very closely.  Good luck.  The agony and stress caused by my insurance company was huge compared to the agony and stress of having cancer and facing major surgery. 

Top hospital

Blondy,

I am very pleased to hear that you are at a top rated University teaching hospital even if you wound up there by "accident". From everything you have told us your son has a challanging diagnosis and you are lucky to have a top notch group of Doctors share thier thoughts with each other and you even though the diagnosis and treatment remain elusive. It sounds like you have that second and third opinion and that they do want to help you.

Keep us posted as the situation becomes clearer. We have all dealt with a certain amount of fear and anxiety on our journeys as well as the loss of a kidney. Lets hope the C word stays out of the vocabulary as this matter gets resolved.

Here is hoping for a full and complete recovery whatever it turns out to be.

Icemantoo

• myoung790
    myoung790 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Not much more I can add

Not much more I can add except to say that I hope all goes well.  Lots of great information here from some great people.  Keep us posted.

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    Options

As if things needed to get

As if things needed to get any worse.... during his discharge today we found out that our insurance doesn't cover the urologist there after all!!!!! We aren't sure who dropped the ball... the doctor at the hospital where we went to the ER initially that was suppose to be transferring us to a hospital that would be covered by our insurance,  or someone at Children's hospital that retrieved that call. But the urologist at Children's is all kinds of bent out of shape over it... praying enough that she will figure out a way to get it "written off". The worst part is whether he can or can't continue his care with the people I JUST realized is affiliated with a urology team that is high up on  the US rankings. This is a test of faith... that's all... we'll rise above it. 

How's it going today?

How's  your son doing? Thinking of you!

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    myoung790 said:

Not much more I can add

Not much more I can add except to say that I hope all goes well.  Lots of great information here from some great people.  Keep us posted.

Hi Blondie,
    Hoping all is

Hi Blondie,

Hoping all is going well with your son. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hugs

Jojo

• Terri065
    Terri065 Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Memorial Sloan Kettering

If you can get to MSKCC in New York City you won't regret it.

Dr Russo removed a 14 cm tumor from my husband after the doctors in New Jersey said surgery wasn't possible.

Also I called on a Monday and was in Dr Russo's office on Tuesday. 

God bless you with his guidance. My prayers are with you. 

Theresa

• Terri065
    Terri065 Member Posts: 81
    Options

I've never had to look for a

I've never had to look for a doctor that is highly advanced in their practice. How do I find one that is covered under my son's insurance? I can get a list from the insurance company of urologists that are covered, but how do I know how advanced they are in their work? What information should I ask or be looking for about a doctor that will show he/she is highly qualified? ?

I think you might want to

I think you might want to look for a Cancer Center of Excellence. When I called our insurance about coverage they provided a list of Cancer Centers of Excellence. 

God bless!

Theresa

• Tbuck1971
    Tbuck1971 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Terri065 said:

Memorial Sloan Kettering

If you can get to MSKCC in New York City you won't regret it.

Dr Russo removed a 14 cm tumor from my husband after the doctors in New Jersey said surgery wasn't possible.

Also I called on a Monday and was in Dr Russo's office on Tuesday. 

God bless you with his guidance. My prayers are with you. 

Theresa

Right Place

Blondie,

Let me say how very sorry I am to have read your posts and I know you are in a very tough place right now.  However, you have come to the right place, you are getting advice from some of the absolute best cancer fighters offered to the human race.  These RCC peeps are loaded with solid advice and wonderful winning attitudes and I am sure you and your son will whip this thing very soon!  I read a post earlier about a second opinion.  I would urge you to get a second opinion because you absolutely have to get this right the first time.  Or as close as you can get to being 100% right, no one will really ever know. 

In the meanwhile, please understand that many of us will shower you and your family with prayers and good things will soon come your way and the event will be a distant memory to you and your son, the entire family!

God Bless and hang in there!

Tom B.