radiation treatment cancer

Options

I currently have colon cancer. This is the third bout of cancer. I first had cancer in 1979, hodgkins Disease, then in 2000, breast cancer. 2009 heart attack requiring double bypass and new valve, now colon cancer. they say all related to radiation in 1979.

I have two questions..has anyone else experienced multiple cancers due to radiation? I am having the section of the colon removedf that has the cancer; although they have suggested having the whole colon removed. What was your recovery time for this surgery? How many had chemo also?

My younger brother who also had Hodgkins discease in 1987 now has pancreatic and liver cancer. I have been the lucky one. All my cancers have been treatable.

Any info is appreciated

Best to all

Donna

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, Donna

What a sad medical history. Talk about unfair. I am sorry that you have Cancer again, and wish you the best as you go forward with treatment. 

I had a bowel resection right after diagnosis.  I spent five days in the hospital, and it took a good couple of weeks to start feeling normal. I do believe I kept from vigerous activity for a good six weeks. 

I have heard that radiation can lead to cancer later in life. I know many childhood leukemia patients can suffer a secondary Cancer later in life, caused by the chemo drugs. 

After my surgery I did Chemo, and then chemo with radiation. It was grueling for sure, but I made it through. 

We look forward to getting to know you here on the forum, and helping you along your latest Cancer journey.

Sue - Trubrit

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Hi Donna, you are a true

Hi Donna, you are a true survivor!  I'm sorry you have had to deal with so much illness, your brother too.  

my husband had stage 1 testicular cancer in 1999 and received radiation.   In 2012 he was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer, most likely from the radiation.  He had surgery and chemo, an ostomy and maintenance chemo.  he did well after surgery...took 6 weeks off from work but wasn't down that whole time.

have they told you what stage you are?

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Hi Donna

My brother had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2000. He had chemo for that, no radiation. The chemo was called CHOP. He was told that the chemo he had back then to cure the NHL could have caused the rectal cancer. He had radiation and chemo for the rectal cancer before his surgery. He had a lower anterior resection with a temporary ostomy. Then he had chemo after the surgery (he was stage 2a at that point). When chemo was done he was NED for less than a year. Then they found mets to his liver and lungs. He is currently on a low does chemo because the CHOP chemo caused heart damage, too. He is on palliative chemo to slow the progression of the tumors and to prolong his life.

Lin

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Wow Donna

Thats quite a list of illnesses, you're tough! I had 2 feet of colon removed, it was done laporoscopically and I healed in a weekend. If you're staged 1 or 2 that may be it, not even chemo. Let's hope for that, I think you deserve a break.

Easyflip/Richard