Chemo side effects

Options
mschaben
mschaben Member Posts: 87

Have had headache and nausea since after chemo that was on tues.  How long should I expect delayed nausea.  Haven't vomited. just very nauseous.  Have meds for it but was just curious if others had this problem and how long each time it might last.  Thank u 

Comments

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Tell your Oncologist

Be sure you tell your Oncologist Mary....because they give you meds in the IV for nausea and pills for later.

Maybe they need to change your meds.

• mschaben
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Tell your Oncologist

Be sure you tell your Oncologist Mary....because they give you meds in the IV for nausea and pills for later.

Maybe they need to change your meds.

Nausea

they gave me a few things IV. didnt hit me til next day.  Called today for zofran and he said next time he will give me more IV for nausea. But for now it is what it is I guess.

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Options
    mschaben said:

Nausea

they gave me a few things IV. didnt hit me til next day.  Called today for zofran and he said next time he will give me more IV for nausea. But for now it is what it is I guess.

Nausea

Good morning!!

I have to say I did experience the same thing. Mine would hit me on day two and alltogether would last about 5 days.  I had to switch out the pill that dissolves under the tongue for nausea because it made me feel like I was on a hangover. Yucky stomache and a huge headache! So they prescribed a higher dose of the normal nausea pill that was called in in the beginning. (I'll look that up and post it here when I find it) The dissolve pill made it wayyyyyy worse for me. Some of us here do have that reaction. I also had them call in a motion patch that works wonders to keep the edge off. This is the same thing I used when having any surgery. Whatever works well for you during surgery for anti meds will works just as good for chemo. So I just replicated. That being said - it didn't make the gags go all the way away. I threw up only twice during my 20+ rounds of chemo (A/C/T) For some reason lemonade worked well. Don't get dehydrated. This adds to the headache like no other. Pressure on the head like hats and wigs just didn't work for me. I have a wig that I love but I don't wear it every day. I would call back and ask for the motion patch to be sent to your pharmacy. That's what I did and no appointment was needed. Ice your insides. ALso, if you wre a coffee drinker and suddenly can't or won't drink coffee due to the chemo, you will have withdrawls  that start with a huge lingering headache. It will go away after a few days but do medicate with Tylenol and liquids until that passes. I had a hard time with that in the beginning.

Huge hugs!!

• SAvent
    SAvent Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Im sorry you are going through the yuckies

Ginger is known to soothe nausea... also sage and ofcourse cannabis items if you are into that.

Try not to overwhelm yourself with things though. Also I found that sometimes its more important to get rid of whatever was making me feel yucky. Certain smells bothered me, I lowered my bed closer to the floor (ease the motion sick, room spinning kind of feeling), things like that. What works for you might seem strange to others but go with it and make yourself as comfortable as possible.

• mschaben
    Options

Nausea

Good morning!!

I have to say I did experience the same thing. Mine would hit me on day two and alltogether would last about 5 days.  I had to switch out the pill that dissolves under the tongue for nausea because it made me feel like I was on a hangover. Yucky stomache and a huge headache! So they prescribed a higher dose of the normal nausea pill that was called in in the beginning. (I'll look that up and post it here when I find it) The dissolve pill made it wayyyyyy worse for me. Some of us here do have that reaction. I also had them call in a motion patch that works wonders to keep the edge off. This is the same thing I used when having any surgery. Whatever works well for you during surgery for anti meds will works just as good for chemo. So I just replicated. That being said - it didn't make the gags go all the way away. I threw up only twice during my 20+ rounds of chemo (A/C/T) For some reason lemonade worked well. Don't get dehydrated. This adds to the headache like no other. Pressure on the head like hats and wigs just didn't work for me. I have a wig that I love but I don't wear it every day. I would call back and ask for the motion patch to be sent to your pharmacy. That's what I did and no appointment was needed. Ice your insides. ALso, if you wre a coffee drinker and suddenly can't or won't drink coffee due to the chemo, you will have withdrawls  that start with a huge lingering headache. It will go away after a few days but do medicate with Tylenol and liquids until that passes. I had a hard time with that in the beginning.

Huge hugs!!

Nausea

Thank u for the advice.  Now today I have bad bad bone aches.  Did u have anything like that as we'll.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    mschaben said:

Nausea

Thank u for the advice.  Now today I have bad bad bone aches.  Did u have anything like that as we'll.

Bone Aches

I had terrible Bone Aches all over my body......and I used Extra Strength Tylenol every 6 hours for about 6 to 8 months....my Onc said I had perfect kidneys so it was lucky for me I did........and the  Tylenol did nelp with the pain but it still hurt and I just learned to live with it.   Living is what we are trying to keep doing....Prayers for Strength and Courage....  Glo