Options
2»

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

z.....

Well now I am feeling kind of dumb ???? The surgeon did not mention VATS when describing the procedure but did say that with no complications and depending on pain would be in the hospital just a few days.  He is one of those doctors that has come well recommended but forget about having a conversation. I do have a few questions so will be asking his assistant tomorrow when I go in for labs and stress test.

The worry I can't shake is complications with blood clots during or even in the weeks following surgery as they are more common with lung surgery (or so I've heard.)

Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers. (all of you)

katheryn

katheryn

Don't feel dumb.  I put all my faith in my dr as he came very well recommended and had performed about 40 vats a year.  I'll bet since its a couple days it will be the VATS procedure, less invasive and faster healing.  What I was told is to walk asap of course safely at your own pace.  This helps the healing process.  You will find out more with the pre surgery information.

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

Surgery......

Thank you all again, I am feeling your hugs, encouragement, support and prayers! My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 3rd to remove the mass on my lung. (anal cancer recurrance at 4 yrs post)  The doctor said he'd like to try a resection but is prepared and thinks a lobectomy is what will be needed based on the size (3.6 centimeters) which is quite large.  This involves removal of the whole upper lobe of my left lung.  Lymph nodes will be assesed as well and that will help determine the need for chemo. 

While I surely have moments of anxiety over the risks of surgery as well as my future health I am mindful that at this point there is little I can do to change the situation and it really is out of my hands.  My faith helps me realize that what that means is that I am in the MOST capable hand of all.  (Yet, I am human and we still worry)

The game plan is to be in the hospital for just a few days then home recovering, and back to at least some on-line classes in March. (I went back to college a couple years ago)  More importantly, my daughter is getting married in May and I am the designated florist as well as mother of the bride and plan to be feeling well!

Even though I have some of the most supportive family and friends and a medical team that I have much confidence in, it is only you people here who can really imagine how I feel and so I will have you all with me on Tuesday as I take this next step.  (Thanks for not making me feel alone)

In reality.......I will post as soon as I am able.

katheryn

katheryn

Wishing the best for you tomorrow and as you recover

Janet

• RoseC
    RoseC Member Posts: 559
    Options
    jcruz said:

katheryn

Wishing the best for you tomorrow and as you recover

Janet

Ditto

Me too, katheryn. Hope all goes well.

• pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    RoseC said:

Ditto

Me too, katheryn. Hope all goes well.

Same here

i'll be thinking about you. Hoping of course that it all goes smoothly and that your recovery is uneventful

Liz

• 0626june
    0626june Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Katheryn,

sending you all the best thoughts for a wonderful outcome tomorrow. We're here for you.

June

• jbug2
    jbug2 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    eihtak

Katheryn:

So sorry to hear the news ...  I'm at 2 years post treatment, complaining of "pressure" in my right upper abdomen for the last 6 months (which seems to have let up, as of lately) ... undergoing a CT scan 2/9/15.  You have been a source of encouragement and kindness to me during my anal cancer experience.  I hold you in my thoughts and prayers and will check back here in hopes to see how you are doing.

Jbug

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

z.....

Well now I am feeling kind of dumb ???? The surgeon did not mention VATS when describing the procedure but did say that with no complications and depending on pain would be in the hospital just a few days.  He is one of those doctors that has come well recommended but forget about having a conversation. I do have a few questions so will be asking his assistant tomorrow when I go in for labs and stress test.

The worry I can't shake is complications with blood clots during or even in the weeks following surgery as they are more common with lung surgery (or so I've heard.)

Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers. (all of you)

katheryn

eihtak

wishing you the very best today, prayers your way

• judyv3
    judyv3 Member Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

Surgery......

Thank you all again, I am feeling your hugs, encouragement, support and prayers! My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 3rd to remove the mass on my lung. (anal cancer recurrance at 4 yrs post)  The doctor said he'd like to try a resection but is prepared and thinks a lobectomy is what will be needed based on the size (3.6 centimeters) which is quite large.  This involves removal of the whole upper lobe of my left lung.  Lymph nodes will be assesed as well and that will help determine the need for chemo. 

While I surely have moments of anxiety over the risks of surgery as well as my future health I am mindful that at this point there is little I can do to change the situation and it really is out of my hands.  My faith helps me realize that what that means is that I am in the MOST capable hand of all.  (Yet, I am human and we still worry)

The game plan is to be in the hospital for just a few days then home recovering, and back to at least some on-line classes in March. (I went back to college a couple years ago)  More importantly, my daughter is getting married in May and I am the designated florist as well as mother of the bride and plan to be feeling well!

Even though I have some of the most supportive family and friends and a medical team that I have much confidence in, it is only you people here who can really imagine how I feel and so I will have you all with me on Tuesday as I take this next step.  (Thanks for not making me feel alone)

In reality.......I will post as soon as I am able.

katheryn

Good thoughts

Sending all good thoughts and positive energy your way.  Hoping your surgery went smoothly and you are on the road to recovery and playtime with the grandbabies.

Judy

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Oh, my!

Dearest eihtak:

I am distressed to read this thread as you have been through so much already. It's a sobering reminder that we need to be vigilant with those follow-ups. Thank goodness you didn't decide to just skip it this time!

And you never need to apologize to this thread for anything! Rest, heal, and begin whatever follow-up treatment the plan calls for. Then get back to us. We'll be waiting.

Virtual hugs and chocolate layer cake with frosting flowers.