Follow-up Test Results (mostly) In

Options
John212
John212 Member Posts: 116 Member

January is follow-up testing month for me, and this is my first set of annual follow-up tests. The results are mostly in, so I thought I'd share my experience.

The first step was a CEA test done after my port was flushed on New Year's Eve. It came in at 0.5 (down from 0.9 on the date of my diagnosis last year), so that's good.

Early in the month I had a colonoscopy. Unfortunately, the second dose of Suprep caused me to vomit and the prep was incomplete. We went ahead with the scoping anyway, and the doc was able to get a good image of my anastomosis and to take tissue samples from that area for biopsy. He also snipped one polyp and had it tested. Both sets of tissue came back showing no evidence of disease. I'm going to have a second scoping next week, but will be using the Gavilyte-G prep liquid, which is supposed to be milder. it will require two full days of a clear liquids diet, but such is life.

Step 3 was a CT scan. This came back showing no evidence of disease. I have a benign cyst on my liver - which scared me when I saw it on last year's scan - but it has not changed.

All in all, I think I may be in the clear. It seems unlikely that we'll find anything dangerous in next week's colonoscopy but, of course, it's easy to imagine otherwise once in a while.

I wonder about others' experience with these annual follow-ups, especially when you are found NED. Has it been easier or more difficult to go back for the next year's tests?

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Its never easy

Well, thats my opinon. 

I think that once you're bitten with the Cancer, you never feel safe and secure. If you are lucky to have had several NED follow-ups, I bet you're still waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Many congratulations on your test results. I would like to share with my my friend, Mr. Happy Dance Man image I think you deserve him. 

May you continue to stay NED forever and ever. 

Oh, and I admire you're going back in for another colonoscopy, I HATE drinking that goop. 

Sue - Trubrit

• John212
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Its never easy

Well, thats my opinon. 

I think that once you're bitten with the Cancer, you never feel safe and secure. If you are lucky to have had several NED follow-ups, I bet you're still waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Many congratulations on your test results. I would like to share with my my friend, Mr. Happy Dance Man image I think you deserve him. 

May you continue to stay NED forever and ever. 

Oh, and I admire you're going back in for another colonoscopy, I HATE drinking that goop. 

Sue - Trubrit

Thanks very much. I have to

Thanks very much. I have to say, Dance Man is an exuberant little rascal. 

I'm hoping that this other colonoscopy prep will be easier to manage. It may not taste as vile as the Suprep, but I see that the mix makes 4 liters of liquid to be consumed at the rate of 8 ounces every ten minutes for about two hours. Yikes.

• Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for the good

Congratulations for the good results. Best luck with the next follow-up.

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    John212 said:

Thanks very much. I have to

Thanks very much. I have to say, Dance Man is an exuberant little rascal. 

I'm hoping that this other colonoscopy prep will be easier to manage. It may not taste as vile as the Suprep, but I see that the mix makes 4 liters of liquid to be consumed at the rate of 8 ounces every ten minutes for about two hours. Yikes.

Prep

Congratulations on your great test results!!  :)   In regard to the colonoscopy, did your doctor mention doing a low residue diet this time around?   I just had a colonoscopy today and I was on a low residue diet for the past seven days to help make certain that I was cleaned out better this time than last - and it worked!  :)    The link below is similar to the diet that I was following all week if you're interested.  

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/low-fiber-diet/art-20048511

Good luck!  :)

Cyn

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    That's great news John. All

That's great news John. All test results that you are sitting in a good place. Let's hope you are one and done with this disease.

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It

all sounds pretty good so far! I think it's normal to have 'scanxiety' every time you go in but the trick is to not let it leak into you're everyday thoughts. I'll bet it gets easier with time but I doubt it ever goes away completely. You just can't let the 'what ifs' get you.

Easyflip/Richard

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

John - These tests results are great!  congrats.  Hope you have a better time with the Gavilyte.  I can never drink it all in two hours--too much in my tummy.  I wait a couple of hours then finish it off.  Don't worry f you can't get it down in 2 hours.  Best of luck for a clear scan.  Traci

• John212
    Options
    traci43 said:

Congrats!

John - These tests results are great!  congrats.  Hope you have a better time with the Gavilyte.  I can never drink it all in two hours--too much in my tummy.  I wait a couple of hours then finish it off.  Don't worry f you can't get it down in 2 hours.  Best of luck for a clear scan.  Traci

Thanks again - clean scope this time

Thanks, everyone, for all the good wishes. I'm back at my desk after my follow-up to the follow-up colonoscopy and this time the doc got a clear view of my entire exit ramp. No further need for any construction work (i.e., surgery of any kind) - and only one new pothole, that is to say only one polyp, which was snipped and sent in for the usual testing for bad guys. In the picture - isn't it sweet to get full-color pictures of your insides when you're all done being scoped? - the polyp looks tiny and very pink. In fact, to the naked eye it looked exactly like the tiny one that was snipped in the scoping that was done two weeks ago, which was pre-cancerous. So, barring unexpected results from the biopsy, I should be ready to ask the oncologist about having my Mediport yanked soon.

I'm feeling very cautious about claiming NED status just yet, but trust me you'll hear about when it's official. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    John212 said:

Thanks, everyone, for all the good wishes. I'm back at my desk after my follow-up to the follow-up colonoscopy and this time the doc got a clear view of my entire exit ramp. No further need for any construction work (i.e., surgery of any kind) - and only one new pothole, that is to say only one polyp, which was snipped and sent in for the usual testing for bad guys. In the picture - isn't it sweet to get full-color pictures of your insides when you're all done being scoped? - the polyp looks tiny and very pink. In fact, to the naked eye it looked exactly like the tiny one that was snipped in the scoping that was done two weeks ago, which was pre-cancerous. So, barring unexpected results from the biopsy, I should be ready to ask the oncologist about having my Mediport yanked soon.

I'm feeling very cautious about claiming NED status just yet, but trust me you'll hear about when it's official. 

Wonderful news!

I'm looking forwar to hearing you shouting NED from the house-tops. 

And I'm very glad the yukki colonoscopy drink is all over. 

Sue - Trubrit

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    John212 said:

Congrats!

My three favorite letters- N.E. and D. : )

Easyflip/Richard

• aggie0053
    aggie0053 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    congrats john, just think

congrats john, just think positive everything will be allright