Skiffin16 ~ Whipple Fish...

Options
Skiffin16
Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
edited January 2015 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Well...

As many of you know and have followed my progress....

I had the Whipple Surgery on 4/22/2014.., it's been an adventure for sure.. My surgery was for a pre-cancerous cyst, and all ended up being benign.., yay on that..

But I never really regained and appetite, was very nauseaous, and ended up getting an abscess at the incision site, that turned to a fistula. I ended up back in the hospital during the end of June.. another 10 days, 13 during the Whipple in April... NPO and on TPN (no food or water), went home getting nutrition through a PICC line until late August..

My wife was awesome, mixing up the fluids and on the pump for 18 hours each day.. I couldn't have made it without her love and support, and excellent care... Then the PICC came out late August, but I was still leaking externally from the fistula site...ugh...

I had an EGD in September to remove a stent that was put in during the Whipple. It had moved from horizontal, to verticle and they thought that was causing the non-closure and it was trying to work its way out of the fistula. I did feel better after it was removed, and started eating again.. Though that was rough as it was the first time I had to experience the new me and what I could/couldn't eat well.., etc... With the Whipple, they take part of your pancreas, part of your stomach, your gall bladder, and your duodenum. So enzymes to digest food get messed up, insulin can get messed up, vitamin/mineral absorption can get messed up.., LOL. and your taste gets messed up.

Back in the hospital toward the end of December to try and surgically find the leak and close the hole up.., again.., ugh.. Another 5 days in the hospital and again, NPO..But, this time and so far, so good.., going on 6 weeks and no leaking.., YAY...

They cleaned up the abcessed area, old dead tissue, and put some mesh in for support of the area.. I've lost a total of 97#, which I was 277#, at 6' so that actually allowed me to lose that much and still survive. I'm just starting to eat well again.. I can eat pretty much anything other than solid meats, steak and such does give me a rougher time digesting, as does salads and some fruits and veggies..

But no Creon has been needed, though I tried it.., no other meds, and my blood work has been good other than my red blood counts and hemoglobin are just slightly low.. Creon is an enzyme capsule that you take with each meal or snack to help digest food...

My hair thinned a lot initially, but after this last surgery, I've been drinking 2-3 Muscle Milks a day, and added protein fruit/veggie smoothies. Not only has my hair thickened quite a lot.., I'm gaining some of my energy back.. I've even gained back a few pounds this past week or so.. But I'll definitely not regain all that I've lost..I plan on staying under 200#....

I'm finally feeling good and doing things I like to do..

Best of all, Shelley and I hit up a few Speckled Perch this past week-end..

JG1-15 

Thanks for all of the support, thoughts and prayers.. 

~John

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Thanks for the up date.......

John, you and Shelley have been through so much together, but you both always seem to just keep going. This is very good to hear you are finally doing so much better. That wipple was very hard on you, but your humor and wonderful caregiver, you have mastered that as well. You two will always be in my prayers and thoughts. You have been an insperation to so many. Also glad to see you fishing once again. Take care the both of you.

Bill

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Speckled Perch for everyone

Weight Watcher John,

Get out your skinny jeans, saddle up, bait your hook, because John is back in town.

Welcome back (slowly),

Matt

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

Speckled Perch for everyone

Weight Watcher John,

Get out your skinny jeans, saddle up, bait your hook, because John is back in town.

Welcome back (slowly),

Matt

John

All good news! And, yes, you certainly have a keeper with Shelley! I see the surgeon next Tuesday to reschedule surgery in hopes of closing my fistula. Just finished 30 hyperbaric dives yesterday in anticipation. Continued prayers and good wishes coming your way.

Candi

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Wow, John....

you're a skinny minnie!!  It makes me feel good to see that you're out fishing again.....and I'm delighted that you're feeling good again....man, this was one long old haul, huh? 

p

PS....and yes, you are very lucky to have Shelley!!!

• cureitall66
    cureitall66 Member Posts: 913
    Options
    Whoa....

So glad things have turned around for you! When you look at it all listed there, you've had no easy task. Sorry about the challenges and glad they finally have it all figured out......................so, get out there and keep fishin' til your hearts desire!

~C

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    John, it was a long time

John, it was a long time coming but you look good!  it is just wonderful to know you're on the water again, doing what you love.  I'm so glad the leak has stopped and you've actually healed.  And most importantly, you've started living again.  Yay John!!

God bless you,

djimage

• Skiffin16
    Options
    Shelley

Giving me a run on the fishing...;

sg

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Looking good

Sounds like you are getting back to your old self, just glad to see you finally getting to do the thing you love to do “Fishing” save a few for me. We are so blessed to have wonderful caretakers to be with us through all of this stuff, I know I would not have made it without my Wife, Best Friend and Caretaker all in one. God is so good

Hondo    

• ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Options
    Hondo said:

Looking good

Sounds like you are getting back to your old self, just glad to see you finally getting to do the thing you love to do “Fishing” save a few for me. We are so blessed to have wonderful caretakers to be with us through all of this stuff, I know I would not have made it without my Wife, Best Friend and Caretaker all in one. God is so good

Hondo    

Getting Better

Glad to hear you are getting back on track and helping to keep the fish population in Florida undercontrol...  I never really like the diet plans these processes come with, but for some of us it finally gets us to a weight we may have been striving for, so good for you.  As far as your hair thats great, just do comb overs until it all comes back. LOL. 

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Getting Better

Glad to hear you are getting back on track and helping to keep the fish population in Florida undercontrol...  I never really like the diet plans these processes come with, but for some of us it finally gets us to a weight we may have been striving for, so good for you.  As far as your hair thats great, just do comb overs until it all comes back. LOL. 

on mend

Chuffed you are on the up mate

• wild willy
    wild willy Member Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    looking good keep aplugging

looking good keep aplugging along

• Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options

looking good keep aplugging

looking good keep aplugging along

What's that smell??

Glad to see you smelling the fish again! :)

C

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    on the mend

Sounds like you are finally on solid ground again. I guess what they say about Whipple fit your experience. Down side is you gotta go buy all new clothes! Take care and glad for you both. Don

• sonyk728
    sonyk728 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    that's great news

Long road but sounds like you're on the mend. We have Perch in Minnesota too :-) Chin up!

• D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Great news!

Thanks for sharing. 

Deb

• luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU SKIFF

You may look a little different, but you went through one hell of a procedure. I was not sure what the "Whipple Procedure" was until I asked my wife,. Good to see you are back to slaying the fish my friend. I dont post or check much anymore, going through my own battles.

A great caregiver is everything!!

BEST!!

Mike

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi John

Wow glad to see you up and doing what you love to do. My old work e-mail is no longer working now that I am retired, so will need to up-date you when I can.

Tim Hondo

• hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    John

so glad life is better. You deserve it!  Take care and happy birthday.

all the best

Steve

• Skiffin16
    Options
    hawk711 said:

John

so glad life is better. You deserve it!  Take care and happy birthday.

all the best

Steve

Thanks...

We might try and get out your way toward the end of the year..., if so I'll look you up for another StarBucks meet and greet...