Foods

Options
mschaben
mschaben Member Posts: 87

was wondering what foods would be good to eat to keep nutrition while feeling nauseous .  Had scrambled eggs and ramen noodles today but want to keep my nutrition values .

Comments

• SAvent
    SAvent Member Posts: 62
    Options
    eating while nauceaus

Double check with your doctor. Mine told me to eat whatever I wanted and/or could keep down.

I found ginger & hemp to be very very helpful as they are natural yucky-tummy soothers.

IDK how you feel about marajuana but it is widely known to cure nausea and jumpstart appetite. Maybe as a tea or a brownie if you dont smoke would help.

Best of luck.

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    SAvent said:

eating while nauceaus

Double check with your doctor. Mine told me to eat whatever I wanted and/or could keep down.

I found ginger & hemp to be very very helpful as they are natural yucky-tummy soothers.

IDK how you feel about marajuana but it is widely known to cure nausea and jumpstart appetite. Maybe as a tea or a brownie if you dont smoke would help.

Best of luck.

I did horribly on that front,

I did horribly on that front, there are cookbooks out there and perhpas you can see a dietician at your center. I think what appeals varies form perosn to person. maybe fruit smoothies? soups. ?

• Desmonds1
    Desmonds1 Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did one protein shake a

I did one protein shake a day- Whole Foods has a nice selection of organic mixes- I liked the Vega brand, berry flavored and mixed it with sparkling water-no sugar!

good luck and hugs

• mschaben
    mschaben Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Desmonds1 said:

I did one protein shake a

I did one protein shake a day- Whole Foods has a nice selection of organic mixes- I liked the Vega brand, berry flavored and mixed it with sparkling water-no sugar!

good luck and hugs

Side effects

Was wondering if besides nausea has anyone had problem with diarrhea after few days when given carboplatin and taxotere.  Had nausea then kind of got better after weekend also had body aches which got better and now have diarrhea. Very frustrating 

• Desmonds1
    Desmonds1 Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    mschaben said:

Side effects

Was wondering if besides nausea has anyone had problem with diarrhea after few days when given carboplatin and taxotere.  Had nausea then kind of got better after weekend also had body aches which got better and now have diarrhea. Very frustrating 

Oh yes - so frustrating

Oh yes - so frustrating because then you lose other nutrients!

immodium was a life saver for me-

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    mschaben said:

Side effects

Yes, it is frustrating. I

Yes, it is frustrating. I would get terrible constipation from the anti-nausea meds the first few days and would have to start each day with two kiwi fruit. I still have hemorroids from those days. Later, it would change over to diarrhea for about a week and I would start on the bananas and rice. Be patient. The best thing to do is keep treating the symptoms with a healthy diet and meds from your doctor as needed. Just try to stay comfortable and the time will pass eventually and you will be back to feeling healthy again. Chemo doesn't last forever. It's just a few short months in our long lives. Good luck, Anna

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Food

I was lucky, I could drink milk (and lots of it)  food was a nightmare tho...........

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Food

I was lucky, I could drink milk (and lots of it)  food was a nightmare tho...........

Be really careful about the

Be really careful about the diarrhea and don't let it get out of hand.  I ended up in the hospital because of it - I was dehydrated and my potassium was critically low.  Took 4 days in the hospital to get me lined back out.