Staying healthy while on chemo

mschaben
mschaben Member Posts: 87

I am starting my chemo this week. Does anyone know if vitamins help at all to stay healthy. i know I should avoid being around sick people. But if my kids have colds or something what do I do besides handwashing and Lysol and not being right in their faces.  Just wandering if anyone has some advice.

mary

Comments

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Check with your Dr before

Check with your Dr before taking anything.   My Dr recommended calcium and vitamin d.   The biggest thing is to stay healthy.    Eat good, get plenty of rest.  Use plenty of hand sanitizer and have everyone in your house do the same.   I told my family the importance of staying healthy and asked all of them if they were even remotely feeling bad not to visit.   I stayed out of public places as much as I could.   Small inconvenience considering what you're up against.

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    staying healthy

My MO didn't want me taking any antioxidants that weren't foods, no alcohol (liver under enough stress with the chemo). Wash all fresh veggies with special veggie wash, not just water, and no raspberries. She said there's no way you can clean them well enough. The dietician also wanted me to get 70 gm of protein a day to help the body with the healing process. Couldn't use whey protein with soy because of my estrogen + tumor (soy OK to eat now and then but not on a daily basis MO said) but I found a brand at GMC without soy.

I wiped down all commonly used surfaces every day with lysol cleaning wipes (faucets, light switches, door knobs, remotes, phones, frig and microwave doors) and continue that routine still. Lew did most of the shopping so I didn't have to be out amongst people, and when I did start going out I wiped down the cart handle with wipes. Sanitize hands after handling any money. Lew works at the university in a lab with students - lots of hands on work, and made a point of washing his hands at work before coming home. Maybe have kids and hubby wash their hands as they come in the door at home. Your body does its best repair work during sleep. You'll probably get steroids as part of your chemo and those cause insomnia so listen to your body and nap when you need to. There were days I'd take an hour nap morning AND afternoon.

Fatigue can be the biggest problem, set priorities, accept any help that's offered and be specific what people can do for you, like bringing some meals or going shopping for you. The only flavor I could taste was lemon, and my girlfriend brought me a bag of everything lemon, from lemon juice, to lemon suckers to lemonade. Another friend brought me homemade soup. Even if it's not food for you to eat, bringing a meal that your family can eat can help with the work load.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

• iamenta103
    iamenta103 Member Posts: 1
    Staying Healthy

You've gotten great advice here, I just wanted to add that if you're going to be getting Taxol you might want to ask about taking  vitamin B12 and B6. they were recommended to me for periferal nuropothy which is a side effect. It causes nerve damage, numbness and tingling in hands and feet, and can damge some organs. 

Best wishes 

Angie

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    You already got some

You already got some fantastic advice from the ladies above. I would like to add that my onco told me not to eat any veggies AT ALL when eating out. Only ones you have personally washed yourself. Cross contamination is just too risky. They also told me to avoid foods that are notorious for food poisoning like shellfish. Also it is important that you don't put your hands on your face. Even if you have bacteria on your hands, they will only hurt you if you rub your eyes, put finger in your mouth etc. I got used to hitting elevator buttons/ bathroom doors etc with my elbows. My kids would come home from school and immediately wash their hands with warm water without having touched any surfaces. About vitamins, my onco, to this day, will not allow me to take any supplements at all. He thinks vitamins can feed cancer cells. That's why I still eat a completely clean diet with loads of fruits and vegetables and very little meat. There are certain foods that are amazing cancer fighters like the cabbage family and carrot/sweet potatoes, mushrooms, etc. I think it's a good idea to cut sugar too. Stay hydrated with lots of water. Anyway, getting through chemo is the first step and eating will be a bit difficult so at least stay away from junk food for now and you'll be fine. Taking little naps is a wonderful help. After the first few days when you feel worst after each infusion, maybe you could take a walk outside if your doctor okays it. I did that and now have worked up to running each day (I finished chemo early 2013) It really keeps me feeling good and getting the sunshine when I'm outside seems helpful to me. Whatever you do, visiting this website is a huge help. You get an answer to any problem usually same day. The people on here are just wonderful. Good luck with your treatment and stay strong, Anna

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We are each day unique

Ask your Dr about what supplements are OK and when you have the Chemo Education Class before first Chemo the RN doing it will give you lots of info.

I have as told definitely no antioxidants as they can 'fight' what the Chemo needs to do.  I was told no garlic supplements at all or dried garlic in cooking but fresh garlic was fine in cooking (I use a lot of it).  I was also told no pineapple, grapefruit or pomegranants - not a prob, don't like them anyway.  I was given approval for Vit D and B complex.  Had to go on mega doses of K (potassium) 1/2 way through 12 weekly Taxol as level plummeted.  

I did not limit where I went during either the 4 DD A/C or 12 weekly Taxol and never had any 'getting sick' issues.  I have always been one who would catch every cold going around and lots of sinus infections but did not have any during Chemo and only 1 minor sinus infection since end of Chemo which will be 5 yrs the end of this s month.

Talk to your Dr about your concerns and recommendations.  He/She will be best to give input based on knowing you and all your tests/sscans/blood work which will be done before each infusion.

• peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    Consider Curcumin...

here's s 35 minute presentation (technical at times), by Dr Aggarwal of UT MD Anderson Cancer Center.  He's been a researcher there for some time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnnm15CHRi8

The essense of his  talk is that curcumin, along with a number of other plant derived substances, some of which he touches on, inhibits pathways which promote out of control inflammation which can aggravate cancer and other disease states.

Peter

• peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    Also, on diet...

Here is a link to a recent talk by Dr Champ (an Oncologist and Assistant Professor at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute) in which he discusses his views on diet for cancer patients and how he came to these views.  He also discusses the mechanisms by which diet can fuel the growth of tumors or slow growth.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot96y5-D_K0

The talk could have been a little more focused but what he  is doing is relaying the work of others which shows that excess IGF-1,  glucose, and insulin are likely drivers of tumor growth.    They happen to work through some of the same metabolic pathways for which targeted drugs are being developed (mTOR pathway for example), which strongly suggests that by manipulating the signals through diet one can help limit tumor growth, or at least not promote growth.   His other important point is that dietary advice is all over the place or non-existent in the world of oncology, which to me is a crime.  

He talks alot about variations on the ketogenic diet, but by avoiding simple carbs, eating mostly quality vegetables and some fruit and modest amounts of protein you can lower  insulin, IGF-1,  and avoid large glucose spikes and are reasonable steps you can take now.  You might consider having your insulin checked from time to time as well as HbA1c (a marker for glucose) to make sure they are at the low end of normal.

Good luck with the chemo...

Peter

PS   There are clinical trials underway or planned to better assess dietary regimes during chemo therapy.   Reference the work of Dr Valter Longo, Dr Thomas Seyfried, and Dr Eugene Fine among others...

• mschaben
    mschaben Member Posts: 87
    peterz54 said:

Also, on diet...

Here is a link to a recent talk by Dr Champ (an Oncologist and Assistant Professor at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute) in which he discusses his views on diet for cancer patients and how he came to these views.  He also discusses the mechanisms by which diet can fuel the growth of tumors or slow growth.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot96y5-D_K0

The talk could have been a little more focused but what he  is doing is relaying the work of others which shows that excess IGF-1,  glucose, and insulin are likely drivers of tumor growth.    They happen to work through some of the same metabolic pathways for which targeted drugs are being developed (mTOR pathway for example), which strongly suggests that by manipulating the signals through diet one can help limit tumor growth, or at least not promote growth.   His other important point is that dietary advice is all over the place or non-existent in the world of oncology, which to me is a crime.  

He talks alot about variations on the ketogenic diet, but by avoiding simple carbs, eating mostly quality vegetables and some fruit and modest amounts of protein you can lower  insulin, IGF-1,  and avoid large glucose spikes and are reasonable steps you can take now.  You might consider having your insulin checked from time to time as well as HbA1c (a marker for glucose) to make sure they are at the low end of normal.

Good luck with the chemo...

Peter

PS   There are clinical trials underway or planned to better assess dietary regimes during chemo therapy.   Reference the work of Dr Valter Longo, Dr Thomas Seyfried, and Dr Eugene Fine among others...

Chemo

First I want it thank everyone for being so open and helpful.  I have a question about my chemo if anyone has a similar experience.  I was to have my chemo start this week (today). The oncology office called and said they have to postpone it for a few more days due to insurance.  They said insurance approved my chemo but dr.s office supposedly forgot there is guidelines with one of the meds I will be using.  I will be doing the combination of taxotere, perjeta, herceptin and carboplatin.  Supposedly the projeta is the med that ins says it is designed to b used before surgery not after.  Even tho it is being used after surgery and is very beneficial. Since I am her 2 pos with aggressive cancer my dr thinks this is the best combo for me.  So now I get called the day before my appt to say we have to wait just 48hrs.  Well that's a long time when it has to do with ur life.  we have very good ins and a supplement that picks up what they don't. Has anyone had this med and issues with it being pd for. ?  I was very angry yesterday cuz for one I have cancer and for two this is week 6 after my surgery.  I don't want to just sit here waiting like it's no big deal. This is my life.  the dr had to tell them why he wants this med and stuff .  Supposed to know hopefully tomorrow. It just makes me sick.  So still haven't got port in and still no treatment yet.  Can anyone reassure me?  

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    mschaben said:

Chemo

First I want it thank everyone for being so open and helpful.  I have a question about my chemo if anyone has a similar experience.  I was to have my chemo start this week (today). The oncology office called and said they have to postpone it for a few more days due to insurance.  They said insurance approved my chemo but dr.s office supposedly forgot there is guidelines with one of the meds I will be using.  I will be doing the combination of taxotere, perjeta, herceptin and carboplatin.  Supposedly the projeta is the med that ins says it is designed to b used before surgery not after.  Even tho it is being used after surgery and is very beneficial. Since I am her 2 pos with aggressive cancer my dr thinks this is the best combo for me.  So now I get called the day before my appt to say we have to wait just 48hrs.  Well that's a long time when it has to do with ur life.  we have very good ins and a supplement that picks up what they don't. Has anyone had this med and issues with it being pd for. ?  I was very angry yesterday cuz for one I have cancer and for two this is week 6 after my surgery.  I don't want to just sit here waiting like it's no big deal. This is my life.  the dr had to tell them why he wants this med and stuff .  Supposed to know hopefully tomorrow. It just makes me sick.  So still haven't got port in and still no treatment yet.  Can anyone reassure me?  

One thing I forgot!   I was

One thing I forgot!   I was given a Cookbook - specifically for Cancer patients.    The recipes are really good - there are sections for things if you're experiencing different side effects, etc.  Easy to follow - my husband was able to find things in the cookbook and make them for me.    I am NED now and we're still using the cookbook simply because the recipes are so healthy!

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    mschaben said:

Chemo

Mary, This must be terribly

Mary, This must be terribly frustrating for you. I know where you are coming from because I live in a small country in Europe. We often have trouble getting cancer drugs from other countries (often the U.S.) and there are shortages all the time. During my treatment, my husband even traveled to far away cities to find the drugs I needed. He became famous with the chemo nurses for going and getting the drugs himself. I really think you will not have any major problems with delays of 48 hrs. Ask you doctors for reassurance. You will have to learn to be patient during the whole cancer treatment. If it's not one annoying thing, it's another. Just vent to your trusted caregiver and to the people on this site and you will be ok. It seems like cancer is forever, but pretty soon you will be well and maybe helping others thru their journey. Keep posting, Anna

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Hi Mary

Please let us know the outcome of the kerfluffle over the start of your chemo.   Hope it works out ok and you can proceed with your doctor's plan.   Curious about your home page showing you joined way back in 2003?   Lots of good advice from everybody...we are all unique and different.  I was told to take a multi vitamin and calcium with Vit D........... also had to take Coumadin because of the Port to keep blood thin but only a one mg pill per day .......  best for you not to let things upset you if you can possibly let them go...deep breath .... this too shall pass.... one day or one minute at a time....  Prayers for answers and for good results.  Glo............     ok just read where you joined when your Mom was dealing with BC.... thanks*