new to forum and have a question

Options

i had a mastectomy in nov 2014. i have only seen my surgeon and primary doctors so far. the surgeon said he got all of the cancer and that i would not need chemo or radiation. he has not refered me to an oncologist. shouldn't i see an oncologist at least once ?

Comments

  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Did your surgeon

    give you a pathology report? What type, stage and grade did you have? Di he do an Onco Dx test?

    i do believe you should be referred to an Oncologist for a follow up and to answer all your questions.

     

    Sue

     

  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Absolutely check with the

    Absolutely check with the oncologist to be sure

  • Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    carkris said:

    Absolutely check with the

    Absolutely check with the oncologist to be sure

    You definitely need to see an

    You definitely need to see an oncologist.  Gather all the medical information  you can before you go.   Keep us posted

  • morgamed
    morgamed Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Lilly9 said:

    You definitely need to see an

    You definitely need to see an oncologist.  Gather all the medical information  you can before you go.   Keep us posted

    Peace of mind

    I had a bilateral last year also.  My surgan referred me to an oncologist and he ran blood test and I went for a PET scan.. All came out clean so they looked for anything but found nothing not even high blood pressure or sugar.  Trust me they looked!  It gave me peace of mind they got it all and I didn't have to have chemo or radiation.  I'll go once a year and let them take blood just for my peace of mind.  

  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    I had DCIS Stage 0 and had a

    I had DCIS Stage 0 and had a bilateral mastectomy. Since I had clean margins, no rads or chemo or tamoxifen was needed. So I didn't need to see an oncologist.I agree that stage, grade, size of tumor is important to know.

     

     

  • lightofmysoul41
    lightofmysoul41 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    don't remember

    i had idc. the tumor size was small but i don't remember him telling me what stage it was.  i don't remember a lot of what he said.i do know that my friend is going to ask him for the pathology report. she usually goes with me to my appts. because i usually forget everything that i need to ask and discuss. i also know that the lymph nodes were neg. for cancer. i just think i would be more at ease about everything if an oncologist checks me out. i called my primary and left a message last week with the nurse saying i wanted the dr. to refer me to an oncologist and the nurse still hasn't returned my call. very frustrating.

  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    get second

    get second opinion...

     

    Denise

  • MsLiz1957
    MsLiz1957 Member Posts: 3
    Options

    I had DCIS Stage 0 and had a

    I had DCIS Stage 0 and had a bilateral mastectomy. Since I had clean margins, no rads or chemo or tamoxifen was needed. So I didn't need to see an oncologist.I agree that stage, grade, size of tumor is important to know.

     

     

    Hello my new twin sister

    We HAD the same diagnosis. I just had bilateral mastectomy Jan 6th. I now have tissue expanders and will have tummy tuck (tram flap) going through the fill process right now. Are you having reconstruction?

  • bunnyslippas
    bunnyslippas Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, you have/had cancer so

    Yes, you have/had cancer so you should be followed  by an oncologist in my opinion.  I agree with the second opinion as well.

  • coco2008
    coco2008 Member Posts: 418
    Options

    Yes, you have/had cancer so

    Yes, you have/had cancer so you should be followed  by an oncologist in my opinion.  I agree with the second opinion as well.

    Definitely find an oncologist

    I was assured by my surgeon that the cancers were small and rads after lumpectomies were all I would need.  Luckily he referred me to an oncologist who did an Oncotype test.  Turns out I had an aggressive form and chance of recurrance was high.  Chemo was required.

    I would suggest that if your surgeon and primary won't give you a referral, you should contact a local cancer center to choose an oncologist.  He/she can not only give the care and reassurance you need, but also keep a close watch in the future.

    Love, prayer and hugs,

    Sandy

  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    coco2008 said:

    Definitely find an oncologist

    I was assured by my surgeon that the cancers were small and rads after lumpectomies were all I would need.  Luckily he referred me to an oncologist who did an Oncotype test.  Turns out I had an aggressive form and chance of recurrance was high.  Chemo was required.

    I would suggest that if your surgeon and primary won't give you a referral, you should contact a local cancer center to choose an oncologist.  He/she can not only give the care and reassurance you need, but also keep a close watch in the future.

    Love, prayer and hugs,

    Sandy

    Ditto that, Sandy!

    Find an Oncologist - piece of mind if worth it.

    Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

    Vicki Sam