Traditional New Years meals

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

As New Years Day is just around the corner - what is your traditional New Years Day meal?

For us, it's black eyed peas and hog jowls (well, in today's world finding jowls here is impossible so it's hocks), collard greens and corn bread.  In case, you didn't figure it out - we're Southerners.

Comments

• CarolS612
    CarolS612 Member Posts: 37 Member
    Our tradition

for me, it is pork and sauerkraut.  I usually cook some kielbasa and hot dogs too!

• morgamed
    morgamed Member Posts: 75
    Calling the crabs...

Crab soup and corn fritters.

homemade chocolate ice cream with strawberries and watermellon.

We have always been different for New Years and this year it's all crab and ice cream.  Only a few more days to wait...

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    morgamed said:

Calling the crabs...

Crab soup and corn fritters.

homemade chocolate ice cream with strawberries and watermellon.

We have always been different for New Years and this year it's all crab and ice cream.  Only a few more days to wait...

ALWAYS

Always have Black Eyed Peas with Ham/  Collard Greens (now just in a can ha ha)/ Corn Bread  and lots of cakes and pies..........

We in the South used to say that you earned extra money in the Coming Year for each Black Eye Pea you ate on New Year's Day.   :)

• marycurbelo1204
    marycurbelo1204 Member Posts: 73
    NEW YEAR'S EVE MEAL

Our tradition is roast pork, rice, salads..  This year, Mexican rice, tostadas (chicken and pork) with the fixings, crema, guacamole, etc... and tamales.

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

NEW YEAR'S EVE MEAL

Our tradition is roast pork, rice, salads..  This year, Mexican rice, tostadas (chicken and pork) with the fixings, crema, guacamole, etc... and tamales.

Black-eyed peas are a must!

My grandmother was from Nebraska, but somehow had the southern tradition of eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck in the new year.  So, if I didn't, I'm certain my grandmother would come back and haunt my a** all year! Smile

I always cook my new year's black-eyed peas from scratch with bacon, more bacon, and then some bacon -- but, this year, we decided to start the year off a little healthier, so I'm trying a vegan recipe from the Thug Kitchen cookbook for baked sweet potatoes with black-eyed peas and southern greens.  My body may go into shock from all those healthy vegetables! Surprised

BTW, I once had a neighbor from Romania who said their New Year's tradition was to take an empty suitcase and walk up and down in front of your house at midnight -- that meant you'd get to take a trip in the new year.  I like that one!

Traci

• alabama_survivor
    alabama_survivor Member Posts: 85
    When I was a kid, Mom always

When I was a kid, Mom always got New Year's off from cooking.  Dad would roast a turkey, and maybe a ham, and he would make a meat tray, a tomato & lettuce tray, and maybe a pickle tray. Since he would watch football all day, everyone just kind of ate when we got ready.

When Doug and I got married 21 years ago, he insisted on pork and sour kraut. I'm in Alabama and have lived here since 1971. I've never adopted the tradition of black eyed peas.