Help with funding for genetic testing

Options

Help with funding for genetic testing

My entire team is recommending I have genetic testing. I keep putting it off because of the cost. My insurance covers the test itself, but not the consultation. I can't have testing without consultation. Consultation costs $600. I'm a single parent, working in the social services industry, at reduced income due to using FMLA for treatment. The hospital I use has a foundation, but theyre out of money and not sure what's coming in the new year. The financial advocate isn't sure if funds will help cover that. 

My question: Does anyone know of any agencies, organizations, or foundations that might be able to help with financial services?

All the doctors feel the results (if positive) will greatly indicate future treatment, surgery, and of course, increase rate of other cancers. Thank you so much!

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    excellent question ....

have you tried Dana Fabre Organization - or ACS information line  ..  hummmmmmm thinking

Vicki Sam

• Hope101014
    Hope101014 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Try the Patient Advocate

Try the Patient Advocate Foundation. I will be contacting them soon with a similar issue. My insurance covered the BRCA testing but not the others and it is obviously genetic due to family history. 

Hope it helps!

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Try the Patient Advocate

Try the Patient Advocate Foundation. I will be contacting them soon with a similar issue. My insurance covered the BRCA testing but not the others and it is obviously genetic due to family history. 

Hope it helps!

Excellent suggestion

please let us know what happens .. Okay

Vicki Sam

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Have you tried asking ACS?

Have you asked the American Cancer Society yet?