My Husband and I both have small cell lung cancer

My husband was diagnosed last February 2014 with sclc and I have now been diagnosed with it too as of last week and after a biopsy.  Both of us were symptomless from the cancer.  In both cases it was found after a routine chest xray for another reason.  He has ccompleted his treatment but has actually seemed like he is getting worse in terms of strength, wieght loss, and cognitive functioning after his last round of radiation to his brain (for prevention--no cancer found there). 

I have been very strong and have taken care of him in every way I can for almost a year.  Now I am sick and I feel like he does not have the strength or mental ability to help take care of me and I am very scared of being sick and helpless. 

What are the odds that a husband and wife, neither of whom have smoked in a very long time, would both end up with the same cancer within a year of each other?  I'm very depressed at the thought of this.  It just seems so very unfair and wrong.  This is probably how everyone feels when they are diagnosed with cancer and I look forward to being told so.  I don't like feeling so alone with this. 

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    I've no idea what the odds

I've no idea what the odds are but this is just plain awful for you. The ACS has volunteers that will reach out to you.  Also LUNGevity.org or Lung Cancer Alliance will partner you with phone buddies who are similar to you based on age, gender, disease, caregiver who is also a patient.   

• dennycee said:

I've no idea what the odds

I've no idea what the odds are but this is just plain awful for you. The ACS has volunteers that will reach out to you.  Also LUNGevity.org or Lung Cancer Alliance will partner you with phone buddies who are similar to you based on age, gender, disease, caregiver who is also a patient.   

Thank you for these tips and

Thank you for these tips and sites.  This is the kind of help I am looking for. 

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member

Thank you for these tips and

Thank you for these tips and sites.  This is the kind of help I am looking for. 

The links for phone buddy sign up
    LUNGevity 

Lung Cancer Alliance that can connect you to a phone buddy.  Link for LCA support page.