Surgery scheduled

CarolS612
CarolS612 Member Posts: 37 Member

Thank you all for your kind words and Happy Holidays.   What a week.  Met with my surgeon on Tuesday and had pre- op testing on Weds.  I have a lumpectomy scheduled on Friday, Jan, 2' 2015.   They are planning to do a lumpectomy as they feel a mastecmastectomy would be too difficult for me with my underlying Heath condition ( I have COPD).  Surgery will most likely be followed by chemo and radiation.  I'm a little nervous ....... it feels like things are moving so fast. But.....a good way to start the. new year.....kicking cancer's butt!!

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    That's the spirit!

2015 is going to be the year you kick cancer out of your life!! Good luck and keep us posted, Anna

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    lumpectomy

Good luck with your surgery, I think most gals do well after lumpectomy, pain taken care of with over-the-counter meds. I found it helped to have a little pillow to support my boob in bed. Are you having a sentinel node dissection at the same time? That incision was more bothersome for me, it went through a lumpy bumpy stage.

Keep us posted. Don't look ahead to the chemo and rads, just focus on the surgery for now and healing from that, deal with the rest later.

• andi44
    andi44 Member Posts: 196 Member
    Wishing you well on your

Wishing you well on your upcoming surgery and treatments....I agree with the others not to think about the treatments until the time comes...Take the help that anyone offers - you need to let your body heal...

Andi  :)

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    I had severe pain after my

I had severe pain after my lumpectomy so I needed Vicodin to take for the pain for about a week.

I remember being told to buy a nice supportive sports bra for afterwards. I was big breasted (before the lumpectomy then future double mastectomy) and found that gravity would cause pain after the lumpectomy. It was also nice to put a small ice pack right in the bra for swelling.

Be sure to ask your surgeon what you will need or what would work post surgery for you.

Also, are they planning on taking on nodes out? That could cause pain as well.

But everyone is different. Some get little to no pain, some get a lot of pain, some in the middle.

I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery!

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

I had severe pain after my

I had severe pain after my lumpectomy so I needed Vicodin to take for the pain for about a week.

I remember being told to buy a nice supportive sports bra for afterwards. I was big breasted (before the lumpectomy then future double mastectomy) and found that gravity would cause pain after the lumpectomy. It was also nice to put a small ice pack right in the bra for swelling.

Be sure to ask your surgeon what you will need or what would work post surgery for you.

Also, are they planning on taking on nodes out? That could cause pain as well.

But everyone is different. Some get little to no pain, some get a lot of pain, some in the middle.

I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery!

Lumpectomy

Surgery is scary ...but usually a lumpectomy allows you to go in early and then go home that afternoon...at least that is what happened with mine.   I was out of it for a few days and took the pain pills they prescribed for me....but it wasn't that bad....not nearly as bad as having a baby.  :)    I agree with others here who have advised you not to think ahead.......take all of this as it comes....one thing at a time and rest and be good to yourself.  If you can let go of the Fear you will be able to think more clearly.   We are praying for you and please keep us posted.