New here: Mom has NSCLC stage II, with metachronous single brain met, has had WBRT

lindarella888
lindarella888 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2014 in Lung Cancer #1

Mom was Dx 5/31/13. Had 2 rounds of chemo and one round of radiation. Cancer found on x-ray when checking for lupus (still don't know if she has lupus but doubtful). Never had lung cancer symptoms. Did great on treatments. In August of this year she became dizzy and had trouble walking...after a month of seeing different docs they finally discovered a single met to brain. Did 15 WBRT doses. She seemed to respond a bit, still was mostly bed/chair-bound (her brain was telling her that she could not walk, that she would fall, even though physically she could have walked: strange, I know but likely due to the tumor). The past couple of weeks is eating a lot less as most foods did not appeal to her (we were working on his and were going to see doc soon). In good spirits mostly, and was herself. Today my dad checked in on her after 20 minutes and she seemed asleep/unresponsive, and like she had swallowed her tongue and could not talk, so he called 911 and she is now in the hospital. Any experience with this? She is considered a strong candidate for Gamma Knife and has a consultation Monday. 

Thanks for any input. 

--Linda

Torrance, CA

Comments

• lindarella888
    More information

I forgot to mention that mom's CT scans of both brain and lungs at hospital yesterday were clear and that last scans of lungs (November) showed her 2 tumors WERE GONE.

They sent her home yesterday; seems it was likely dehydration (?). A wake up call to her to eat.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Welcome to the Survivor Boards

Hi Linda, glad to read that he had good response to treatment.  Since they found nothing on either scan are they still planning gamma knife?   Guess I'm confused.  

• lindarella888
    dennycee said:

Welcome to the Survivor Boards

Hi Linda, glad to read that he had good response to treatment.  Since they found nothing on either scan are they still planning gamma knife?   Guess I'm confused.  

Hi Dennycee,
    Mom sees NO

Hi Dennycee,

Mom sees NO Monday afternoon for Gamma Knife consultation, at which time mom and dad will tell doc about Christmas Day in the ER and give doc CD of CT scans from the other day. MRI might be needed to confirm brain mets is now small enough for Gamma Knife, if not completely gone.

Thanks for your reply.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member

Hi Dennycee,
    Mom sees NO

Hi Dennycee,

Mom sees NO Monday afternoon for Gamma Knife consultation, at which time mom and dad will tell doc about Christmas Day in the ER and give doc CD of CT scans from the other day. MRI might be needed to confirm brain mets is now small enough for Gamma Knife, if not completely gone.

Thanks for your reply.

Sending up hopes for a good outcome.

You'll find her recovery time from gamma knife is so much easier than the WBR.  Is she receiving Namenda to help preserve brain function?