Endometrial polyp

foroughsh
foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
edited December 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Hi All,
This is my first post in this board, I'm already a member of kidney cancer board, diagnosed four months ago, had the surgery and now everything is fine. my question is about my new uterus ultrasound report which indicated one 10*7.8 mm polyp in my endometrial. and endometrial has heterogeneous echo. endometrial line is 16 mm two days before the new menstrual period and 7.8 mm on the fourth day of new menstrual period. It seems it's been there at least 1 year and a half based on my previous ultrasound reports(first one 18 months ago and second one six months ago)  and the pap is ok. but my new
gynecologist suggests to take it out. so here are my questions:

1)how is possible that it is cancerous?

2) which one is better, Diagnostic curettage or hysteroscopy?

any advice will be appreciated
Forough

Comments

• dshapiro
    dshapiro Member Posts: 28
    Forough, 
    I had a DNC in

Forough, 

I had a DNC in August and a polyp was found by NOT removed for pathology and when my symptoms became horrendous I was referred to a gyno/oncologist who did a complete hysterectomy.  The polyp had grown in less than 3-months and the pathology report came back as carcinosarcoma, a rare and highly aggressive cancer that spreads very rapidly to other organs.   If I were in your position and based on my recent experience I'd go for the scope.  

Happy to hear you are fine now after your surgery and I wish you that all stays that way!!!!!!

Debbie

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    D&C or Hysteroscopy

I've had both of these procedures.  When I was 51, I had a benign polyp that was found by hysteroscopy, which is used to look around in the uterus for any problems.  I was brought back in for a D&C to remove the polyp. 

I had an ultrasound at 61 for bleeding and when another polyp (malignant ending up with a diagnosis of  UPSC) was found, I had a D&C.

I was sedated for the D&C and felt nothing with that.  With my hysteroscopy, there was either little or no sedation, as I recall, and it was painful.  I wouldn't recommend that unless it's with sedation.   

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    Welcome

I am sorry you have had to find yourself stolling over to our board, but I have no doubt the lovely ladies here will help you as much as they can.  Here is my two cents:

1.  a polyp hanging out isn't a good thing.  It wants something to do and I would rather not give it time to decide for itself :)

2. They wanted to do a endometrial biopsy on me but my gyn quit because it would have been too difficult (and painful) for me.  She recommended a D&C and I said, "sign me up!"  They found some polyps at the D&C, my doc even came out and told my friend who drove me, that and I didn't think it was anything.  

I think the D&C was probably more thorough than the biopsy would have been be.  

What is your doctor recommending?

• bluesmama
    bluesmama Member Posts: 125 Member
    I've had neither a D&C nor

I've had neither a D&C or hysteroscopy but after my endometrial cancer diagnosis, one of my best friends decided to get herself checked and she ended up going through both.  She's now scheduled for a hysterectomy as she was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia which has a high risk for turning into cancer.  I believe her normal gyn performed a hysteroscopy in the office with no sedation. It was not pleasant and in the end, the gyn couldn't do much except explore a bit in there. The gyn told her it was a mess in her uterus. :(  The next appt was with a gyn-onc who did perform a D&C as outpatient surgery so she was completely under anesthesia. They removed the polyp and took samples of the endometrium. The tests came back positive for the complex hyperplasia with atypia. I don't think it answers your second question directly but I hope it gives you an idea of the process for diagnosis for some doctors.

As for me, I was diagnosed with an endometrial biopsy via a small currette in the office without sedation. I actually didn't feel the currette and scraping. The tenaculum (evil instrument!) that holds your cervix still, on the other hand, was very uncomfortable. Luckily, the biopsy lasts a minute. Prior to the biopsy, I had a transvaginal ultrasound that showed a very thick lining (4cm) and a possible polyp. After surgery, the pathologist found a large drooping polyp, 6.5cm of cancer and cysts everywhere. Miraculously, there was no penetration of the myometrium and the cancer was isolated to the lining only. So to answer your question, it's possible that "polyp" is cancerous but they won't really know until they remove it.

Be vigilant and follow up. It sounds like you've been down the cancer road before and I'm sorry to hear that. I know as a survivor of only a few months, any symptom and/or pain makes me feel like the cancer has returned somewhere else.  Good luck.