Options
2»

Comments

• Sailor123
    Sailor123 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Acupuncturist

Hi Everyone.

I have been a way for a while now.  It has been a little over a year since I finished my treatment for NPC.

I would like to chime in regard to Acupuncture treatment for side effects of the treatment.

First I would like to reveal that I am a licensed Acupuncturist and Chiropractor in the sate of CA.

I have not treated anyone with nead/neck cancer side effects beside myself.

Ironically, just prior to my diagnosis, I attended MD Anderson seminar for Acupuncturist regarding to complimentary treatment for cancers.

So what I say is my personal experience as a patient and practitioner of myself.

I find utilizing acupuncture treatment (needles) improved my symptoms post chemo and radiations treatment. ( I had 3 chemos and 33 radiation daily)

The saliva has improved from a dried desert especially at night to able eat and swallow food such as burritos, hamburgers, lasagna, noodle soups...etc...still need tiny sip of water to help flush down with each bite.

Occasional headaches were taken care immediately with acupuncture as they come.

The swallowing has improve as measured from type of solid food I can ingest.  ( I was unable to swallow at all including my own saliva or water for that matter.  I had feeding tube in the course of the conventional treatment but it caused more pain to my stomach.  I had/insisted the doctor take it out after 1 month during the treatment.)

Neck weakness is slowly gaining strength.  I was unable to turn left or right when atempt to make turn while driving.  Had to move my entrie body just to look.  I tell people that I am a wobble head figure glued to dashboard.  

Chiropractic adjustments have help with the neck in term of stiffness and sorenss.  The soreness is from the joints (vertebras) not moving due to the weak neck muscles.  These muscles have been shrunk and shriveled up like beef jerky in my experience.  The adjustment help to loosen up the joint.  It is similar to having bed sore. Agressive massage such as trigger point therapy or / and deep tissue help with with the neck muscles in term of soften and stretching them out.

I prescribe and take raw Chinese herbs to tie all the treatments together.  Of course this procedure would depend on one ability to swallow since it is in tea form.  

There were other symptoms such as mucous formation that wake me up every hour during sleep.  I had to get up and spit them out otherwise I would drown in it.  

Since I am getting better and gaining weight back, I have the energy to come back to this website and be relevant.  

The members here have guided me through from their experiences of the treatment.  I was going through the unknown and all of you have alleviated some of my fear when I started treatment.  I thank you everyone and if I can be of help to you, I would gladly return the favor.  

PM

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing.  Yesterday was my second treatment and I am noticing an improvement in both taste and saliva production.  It is minimal, but I'm committed to trying a few more.

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Update

I've had four sessions and I can honestly say, I'm seeing improvements. 

First session January 6th, 2nd Jan. 20th, 3rd, Feb 3rd and 4th Feb 10th. 

Thus far:

1. Less pain! Hallelujah! I still have to take a Tramadol now and again but I'm down to every few days and only 50mg as needed. Usually, ibuprofen does the trick now.

2. Saliva! I noticed the last 2 weeks that I was eating without having to sip water with every bite! Yes, there are still some foods that require a sip of water and sometimes I need it to get everything down but I'm no loner drinking two bottles full with every meal. Less than one at this point. Still dry at night when I sleep but that's improving as well.

3. Regaining feelings/nerve endings! This one floored me! The last two sessions, I had needles in my feet. Less pain and numbness in my left foot mostly. Last session I had a needle on the left side of my face. Two days later, I feel itchy there and when I scratched hard, I actually felt it! This was an area that was totally numb a month ago. 

4. Sleeping MUCH better. I can't remember the last time I slept 8 hours straight without waking to pee. Happens almost all the time now and I'm much more rested upon waking.

5 Finally... an overall sense of well being. Less stress and "scanxiety" too. 

I can't explain it. I went into this without doing a lot of research (which is unusual for me). I wanted to experience the process and not have any pre-conceived notions. I've asked a few questions and have a little better understanding of it but still, I'd rather not know and let the results speak for themselves. It's been a VERY positive expereince thus far. 

I go to Baltimore the 24th for my next scope, poke and prod and I don't anticipate any issues. After that I hit the two year mark. I'm going to continue with the acupuncture every two weeks as the results have been so positive. It's not cheap but worth every penny thus far.

Hope all are doing well... 

Positive thoughts and prayers to all my fellow warriors as always!

"T"

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    fishmanpa said:

Update

Thus far:

1. Less pain! Hallelujah! I still have to take a Tramadol now and again but I'm down to every few days and only 50mg as needed. Usually, ibuprofen does the trick now.

2. Saliva! I noticed the last 2 weeks that I was eating without having to sip water with every bite! Yes, there are still some foods that require a sip of water and sometimes I need it to get everything down but I'm no loner drinking two bottles full with every meal. Less than one at this point. Still dry at night when I sleep but that's improving as well.

3. Regaining feelings/nerve endings! This one floored me! The last two sessions, I had needles in my feet. Less pain and numbness in my left foot mostly. Last session I had a needle on the left side of my face. Two days later, I feel itchy there and when I scratched hard, I actually felt it! This was an area that was totally numb a month ago. 

4. Sleeping MUCH better. I can't remember the last time I slept 8 hours straight without waking to pee. Happens almost all the time now and I'm much more rested upon waking.

I can't explain it. I went into this without doing a lot of research (which is unusual for me). I wanted to experience the process and not have any pre-conceived notions. I've asked a few questions and have a little better understanding of it but still, I'd rather not know and let the results speak for themselves. It's been a VERY positive expereince thus far. 

I go to Baltimore the 24th for my next scope, poke and prod and I don't anticipate any issues. After that I hit the two year mark. I'm going to continue with the acupuncture every two weeks as the results have been so positive. It's not cheap but worth every penny thus far.

"T"

T

What good news! How did you go about finding someone to do the acupuncture that you trusted?

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    fishmanpa said:

Update

Thus far:

"T"

Good to hear....

"T" thats good to hear it is working for you. Anything that will help with saliva is great, and lepp pein is just a bonus.

Bill

• fishmanpa
    Options
    hwt said:

T

What good news! How did you go about finding someone to do the acupuncture that you trusted?

Word of Mouth and a little research

My ENT/Surgeon recommended acupuncture but only if I could find someone who had experience with cancer patients. Turns out, a woman I work with went to this guy for lyme disease symptoms. He's a cancer survivor himself (colon cancer) and treats and has treated many cancer patients and survivors. I checked this guy out (Google is great) and got testimonials from many of his patients. I felt very comfortable with him. I gave him permission to view my medical history and my first meeting lasted two hours including the first treatment. He took a copious amount of notes and asked a plethora of questions. The guy knows what he's doing for sure. Now, my sessions last about an hour including the actual needles. 

I think it comes down to some research and gut feelings much the same as one would do when considering treatment for cancer. 

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

• fishmanpa
    Options
    wmc said:

Good to hear....

"T" thats good to hear it is working for you. Anything that will help with saliva is great, and lepp pein is just a bonus.

Bill

No Kidding!

Bill... the best part is less pain. I was living with a constant pain in the 3-5 range since treatment. Tramadol, 50-200mg a day kept it at a 2-4 range. It was exhausting! Not just physically but spiritually draining as well. I was frustrated and depressed. Having this level of relief is like having a new lease on life! I still have my moments and days but far, far less than before. And yes, being able to forget my water bottle and not go into a panic is definitely a bonus!

Hope you're doing well!

"T"

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    fishmanpa said:

No Kidding!

Bill... the best part is less pain. I was living with a constant pain in the 3-5 range since treatment. Tramadol, 50-200mg a day kept it at a 2-4 range. It was exhausting! Not just physically but spiritually draining as well. I was frustrated and depressed. Having this level of relief is like having a new lease on life! I still have my moments and days but far, far less than before. And yes, being able to forget my water bottle and not go into a panic is definitely a bonus!

Hope you're doing well!

"T"

trilled

so glad to hear it's working. i feel the joy in your words.

• hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    donfoo said:

trilled

so glad to hear it's working. i feel the joy in your words.

hey PM

what part of Ca are you in?  I am in the Bay Area!  I'm interested in talking more about the  acupuncture As my saliva is low after 5 years post treatment.

all the best

Steve

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    hawk711 said:

hey PM

what part of Ca are you in?  I am in the Bay Area!  I'm interested in talking more about the  acupuncture As my saliva is low after 5 years post treatment.

all the best

Steve

ditto steve

we be bay buddies and my neck is tight!

are you familiar with ART, it's somthing new I just heard about?

• hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    donfoo said:

ditto steve

we be bay buddies and my neck is tight!

are you familiar with ART, it's somthing new I just heard about?

DON

No I'm not familiar.  We can discuss when we get together soon.

Steve

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    fishmanpa said:

Update

Thus far:

"T"

So happy you have found

So happy you have found relief T. I pray the pain goes completely away.

Blessings,

Debbie