Salagen (for dry mouth)...

When I saw my ENT last week and complained about the dry-mouth he prescribed 'Salagen' which is used specifically to stimulate saliva secretion in patients that have undergone rads for head and neck cancers among other afflictions. I'm picking it up this week. Has anyone here ever used this medication or knows of someone that has? If so what were the results? The doctor said sweating is the most common side effect among the possibility of others. It could take up to 12 weeks to start seeing effects apparently. I'm hoping it will be of some benefit, the constant dry-mouth is very annoying. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• ljoy
    ljoy Member Posts: 94
    Dry Mouth

There is also Evoxac. I have been using it for seven years. It can be taken three times per day. it is very effective for me. . I'm really dry if I don't take it. I can't remember how long it took to take effect. I do have night  sweats but no big deal. Hopefully the Salagen will work for you. If not try Evoxac.

• meaganb
    meaganb Member Posts: 244 Member
    I tried Salagen & took it for

I tried Salagen & took it for about 3 months. It didn't really help my dry mouth very much & the excessive sweating was more of an issue for me. Everyoneis different though, its wortha try to seeif it helps. Also, dry mouth for me tends to be more of a problem at night so I keep a glass of water & a bottle of Stoppers 4 Dry Mouth by my bed & it works well!

• JC F
    JC F Member Posts: 74
    ljoy said:

Dry Mouth

There is also Evoxac. I have been using it for seven years. It can be taken three times per day. it is very effective for me. . I'm really dry if I don't take it. I can't remember how long it took to take effect. I do have night  sweats but no big deal. Hopefully the Salagen will work for you. If not try Evoxac.

Evoxac

Thanks, I saw Evoxac online while I was looking at Salagen. It seems to be an either / or situation regarding the two of them. Some say the Salagen works better for them others say the Evoxac. I'm going to ask the pharmacist about both when I go there this week.

• JC F
    meaganb said:

I tried Salagen & took it for

I tried Salagen & took it for about 3 months. It didn't really help my dry mouth very much & the excessive sweating was more of an issue for me. Everyoneis different though, its wortha try to seeif it helps. Also, dry mouth for me tends to be more of a problem at night so I keep a glass of water & a bottle of Stoppers 4 Dry Mouth by my bed & it works well!

Did you...

...try the Evoxac, Meagan?

• sonyk728
    sonyk728 Member Posts: 124
    Salagen works for me, but yes sweats!

I take it 3 times a day and it is effective for relieving dry mouth. Problem is, it DOES cause excessive sweating. I wasn't sure it it was early menopause (I'm 42) brought on by chemo but WOW my face and torso sweat one half hour after taking. Not pretty, but worth it. Just more laundry and concious of what you wear!

• meaganb
    meaganb Member Posts: 244 Member
    JC F said:

Did you...

...try the Evoxac, Meagan?

I did not. A few months out

I did not. A few months out of radiation my dry mouth is usually only bad at night so for me the sweating wasn't worth it & it went on  all day, not just a short time after I took the meds. Like I said, can't hurt to try. A lot of people have success with it & if the side effects of either med are too much for you then you can stop taking, no harm done!

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi JC

I used them all but did not get much good from them, maybe because I was radiated twice. What I do use is a stuff called Stoppers 4 that I get at www.drugstore.com I am now 12 years passed my first radiation and 10 years passed my second and my saliva glands started working again about 60%. The bad part about that is I can no longer swallow so I am always spitting (I hate that). The good part I can sleep at night with very little problems due to dry-mouth. Give it time and see if the salagen will help, and if you want give the stoppers 4 a try while you are waiting.

Tim Hondo

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Pilocarpine/Salegen

JC, I tried Pilocarpine 2 different times, once after just finishing all my treatments and the 2nd time about 6 months ago.  I couldn't see a difference either time using it so I quit taking it.  My doctor said it works on 70-80% of the patients but for me unfortunately it was no help.  Hopefully you're one of the 70-80% that do see a difference.

I do see positive results from Xylitol sweetened gum called Spry.  I buy them on Amazon 600 pieces at a time and it seems to help me more than anything.   I use the Spearmint flavor as the Peppermint was too spicy/hot.

Good luck,

Keith

• Zeanna
    Zeanna Member Posts: 5
    Dry mouth

HI there - I'm a Canadian so I don't know if this product is available to you, but I discovered a product line called Biotene. It comes as mouthwash, toothpaste, or oral gel in a tube. My salivary glands were out for about 10 months post radiation/chemo for a tonsillar tumour, stage 4 with mastasis and malignancy. Salagen didn't do it for me. Bottled water was an attachment to my hand both morning and night, but interestingly one day, my ENT said chewing on little pineapple tidbits might help, and it did. Also, because I'm a salt lover, I was abstaining from it because I was sure it would make my dry mouth worse, and one day I rebelliously ate a handful of potato chips anyway. I don't know why but it kick started my saliva and it began to come back over the next short while. It's been 5 years (a year past my survival prognosis) since then and my saliva is still working. Good luck friend. 

• JC F
    Zeanna said:

Dry mouth

HI there - I'm a Canadian so I don't know if this product is available to you, but I discovered a product line called Biotene. It comes as mouthwash, toothpaste, or oral gel in a tube. My salivary glands were out for about 10 months post radiation/chemo for a tonsillar tumour, stage 4 with mastasis and malignancy. Salagen didn't do it for me. Bottled water was an attachment to my hand both morning and night, but interestingly one day, my ENT said chewing on little pineapple tidbits might help, and it did. Also, because I'm a salt lover, I was abstaining from it because I was sure it would make my dry mouth worse, and one day I rebelliously ate a handful of potato chips anyway. I don't know why but it kick started my saliva and it began to come back over the next short while. It's been 5 years (a year past my survival prognosis) since then and my saliva is still working. Good luck friend. 

Thanks all...

...for the replies. Have started taking the Salagen, will see how it goes. Hope it helps, the dryness is very bad now in the cold dry air of winter, not enjoying things at all with this condition.

• granmudder
    granmudder Member Posts: 41 Member
    Hi JC

I just bought Biotene toothepaste  and  gel for night time use also bought " Quantum OraMoist" Its a new product that you place on the roof or cheek of your mouth lasts 2-4 hours... seems to be helping Tony quite a bit ,, 

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Salagen

I used it for a time during treatment but then it started to dry me out.  I would have night sweats when on it.  I even slept with a soft towel or baby blanket on my pillow as this was easier to replace and wash then constantly washing the pillow cases.

• fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    another option

I use Stoppers4

it is a mist pump spray that can be used as often as needed. I especially use it at bed time. I have been using it for at least 10 years after spending 8 years trying all others from doc's and over the counter. 

you can find it on line by typing in Stoppers4 on google site. I found it at under 5 dollars a bottle. Do not buy from Amason it way to pricey. 

John